Jump to content

Stanley Cup Final, Canadiens @ Lightning, 8PM EST


 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I really didn't expect you to say anything different. I just want to know who keeps pissing in your cereal bowl.

 

So you think this was some huge miscarriage of cosmic justice, and the Habs deserved to win because they took a lot of shots that didn't go in?  It's too easy to let your team off the hook because they won the shot counter game...but if you have any sense at all, you look at Tampa and recognize that it's going to take 3 to have a chance to beat them the vast majority of nights, and that 1 measly goal scored will beat them MAYBE one time out of 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unlike Hasek, he fills most of the net and I actually think he usually has excellent positioning - but also has xar like reflexes. 

Yes, he is huge compared to Hasek -- 225 lbs rather than 180. Makes Hasek's career all that much more impressive, though, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sucks they lost but there are numerous positive takeaways from the game to believe that the Habs should win Game 3 for sure.  

 

The big question will be in Game 4 and if the record streak the Habs will break is the Bolts streak of not losing 2 playoff games in a row in years.  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suzuki 9 shots & 60% on faceoffs

Caufield only 2 shots

 

i felt that Lehkonen pain, hope he is OK, dirty play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, he is huge compared to Hasek -- 225 lbs rather than 180. Makes Hasek's career all that much more impressive, though, I think.

Oh no question. I’m a habs fans and loved Roy. But I don’t think there was a better goalie than hasek in the last 40 years. Was robbed in the finals when he was with the Sabres by the usual NHL deciding not to enforce-change, but not actually change the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It sucks they lost but there are numerous positive takeaways from the game to believe that the Habs should win Game 3 for sure.  

 

The big question will be in Game 4 and if the record streak the Habs will break is the Bolts streak of not losing 2 playoff games in a row in years.  

 

 

 

 

They need to change the D. Get Romanov in.  If you are going to play Gustafson, may as well have a forward play defence - they can’t be any worse! Big mistakes on D by pretty much every defencman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This game was like a kick in the nuts.  We've got to find a way to bury the puck.  Hopefully Ducharme and the home crowd provide uplift.  Fill the barn!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liked the effort, would play Romanov for Merrill whom I do not think played much

 

Sucks that two of the Habs most reliable Ds this playoffs made those turnovers. Interesting that it was not Gustafson or Merrill who cost us the game... bench management? Mostly, but also that they are playing well within their limits

 

First two lines were really good. Other lines were good enough. But we need more from the forwards to get goals.

 

I hope that having Dom back for next game improves how the Habs adjust during the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They need to change the D. Get Romanov in.  If you are going to play Gustafson, may as well have a forward play defence - they can’t be any worse! Big mistakes on D by pretty much every defencman.

Wasnt it Chiarot and Edmundson who f''''up for 2 goals? Didnt notice the Swede being good or bad (yes, he makes everyone very nervous when he is last man back with puck though.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We took the game to them very solidly in the second. Made us proud. They did that to the Leafs as well. One very fortunate goal and the tide turned. But tides turn every day and the past doesn't actually exit. C'mon ghosts and fill arena and let's take back our two games. Great improvement this game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Toronthab said:

We took the game to them very solidly in the second. Made us proud. They did that to the Leafs as well. One very fortunate goal and the tide turned. But tides turn every day and the past doesn't actually exit. C'mon ghosts and fill arena and let's take back our two games. Great improvement this game. 

That is.. "the past doesn't actually exist" .. not exit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That back-breaker goal at the very end of the 2nd feels to me like a reprise of the back-breaking goal Tyler Johnson scored in the dying seconds of a key game in the playoffs against TB in 2015. Remember that? Plekanec garbled the dump in, Johnson picked it up and went end to end and scored, with, like one second left.

 

I dunno. Tamps just seems to get the breaks when they play us. ☹️ Me sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Habs go down playing like this, I will be a happy fan.

 

I expect the Habs to win in Montreal and even the series.

 

Go Habs Go!!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

Wasnt it Chiarot and Edmundson who f''''up for 2 goals? Didnt notice the Swede being good or bad (yes, he makes everyone very nervous when he is last man back with puck though.)

I wasn’t just referring to the screwup on goals. I think our entire D had horrible giveaways in the D zone. Petry, Weber, chariot and Edmondson did make some good plays to go along with dumb plays, but Gustafson and Merrill were garbage. In the offensive zone the D wa too tentative and needs to get pucks on the net with traffic. For a PP specialist, Gustafson rarely is a threat to actually shoot the puck, and given his defensive liability, we may be better off with 5 forwards, if our D can’t shoot the damn puck.

 

I think it’s time to Mix some of the forward lines as well. While I thought that KK and Anderson, individually were good, but it just seemed most of their efforts were individual plays - particularly with Anderson, who drive hard to the net - but usually went in alone. We are not beating Vasilevskiy like that.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the Habs go down playing like this, I will be a happy fan.

:thumbs_up:

 

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wasn’t just referring to the screwup on goals. I think our entire D had horrible giveaways in the D zone. Petry, Weber, chariot and Edmondson did make some good plays to go along with dumb plays, but Gustafson and Merrill were garbage.

3rd pairing, if call them that are not my favourite at all and 'seems' like Romanov and/or Kulak would be better #5 or #6 d? But, assume coaches know bit more about which brings more or are going with who seems safer maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It absolutely is time to remove Gustaffson and bring in Kulak. When Kulak plays well he is a significant asset. 

 

I’ll say what folks seem to be nervous articulating. Price had ups and downs in Game One and did not look impressive last night. The one thing this group will never overcome is sub-standard Price. He HAS to come back strong. Otherwise this will be a sweep.

 

If Price recovers, though? Way too soon to throw in the towel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I take solace in Danault's final hit on Sergachev. Please do that again. Kucherov, too.

Violence begets violence ... doesn't always end where you want/expect ... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It absolutely is time to remove Gustaffson and bring in Kulak. When Kulak plays well he is a significant asset.

 

The way that Kulak played in Game 1 in Vegas probably sealed his fate for sitting the rest of the way.  He looked absolutely overwhelmed and intimidated out there.  I think the coaching staff lost faith in him after that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wasn’t just referring to the screwup on goals. I think our entire D had horrible giveaways in the D zone ...

Playing four guys for almost 85% of the 5-on-5 and PK for sooooo many games can only wear them down (days off help physically but - IMO - much less so mentally) ... first place I would expect that to show is an increase in mental errors ... bad passes, coverage mistakes, etc.  ... but the cards have been dealt ... Richardson/Ducharme have to play them out ... too late to ask more of Merrill defensively (and certainly not of Gustaffson) ... wouldn't mind seeing Romanov in ... not that I expect he would take a lot of burden off the FOUR but at least he would bring physicality and gain experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Price recovers, though? Way too soon to throw in the towel.

Quite!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Violence begets violence ... doesn't always end where you want/expect ... 

I do think Sergachev is finding that out for himself now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Playing four guys for almost 85% of the 5-on-5 and PK for sooooo many games can only wear them down (days off help physically but - IMO - much less so mentally) ... first place I would expect that to show is an increase in mental errors ... bad passes, coverage mistakes, etc.  ... but the cards have been dealt ... Richardson/Ducharme have to play them out ... too late to ask more of Merrill defensively (and certainly not of Gustaffson) ... wouldn't mind seeing Romanov in ... not that I expect he would take a lot of burden off the FOUR but at least he would bring physicality and gain experience.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I do think Sergachev is finding that out for himself now.

Actually, I think he has learned out how to get under the Habs skin ... Danault rarely tries to take a guys head off.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...