Carey Price exposed in expansion draft

Neech

Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Kraken chose Carey Price?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would losing Price and his cap hit be good for the team over the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

While not determinative, Seattle signing Dreidger for 3 years at 3.5 million AAV certainly reduces the chance they take Price.  Do they want 14 million in goalies for 3 years?

I’d they want to win out if the gate lie Vega did (which Francis originally had said was not thr goal), and if they think Price is going to be healthy, out will miss a few months, and ideally only plays 50 games, they would probably want the same approach as we had with Allen. So I think it can still happen. I would think Seattle ownership may put a lot of pressure on picking Price foe marketing reasons, and the hope they can win like Vegas did with Fleury.

Part of me thinks Seattle is just trying to drum up anxiety in Bergevin so he’ll give them a pick not to take Price. 

if they sign Drieger, I’d be very surprised if they have any intention of taking Price, unless they plan on flipping him to a different team at reduced salary. 

Say, Price to the Avs for a first and a couple prospects. This gives the Avs that star netminder in their current cup contender window.

Then they let Grub walk and sign a cheaper backup like Broissoit

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

While not determinative, Seattle signing Dreidger for 3 years at 3.5 million AAV certainly reduces the chance they take Price.  Do they want 14 million in goalies for 3 years?

NOTE: Lots of pent up thoughts

The Habs went to the Finals with $14.85 of their cap going to goalies, plus some AAV for the few games Primeau dressed/played ... albeit that was only one season ... and Seattle may (likely will) need cap space in order to take on a bad contract or two to gain prospects/picks.

Francis has previously said they are not trying to match Las Vegas' freshman season success ... so that speaks against drafting Price ... on the other hand he is almost a local kid as the Prices "summer" with her parents in Kennewick, Washington, 3-ish hours southeast of Seattle.

Wonder if Dreiger got a full NTC?  Lots of teams need goalies ... I expect Seattle will select more than the required three goalies, perhaps even with pre-arranged trade(s).

There is also the POSSIBILITY (however small) that Price might be drafted in order to be traded to a team which, without tampering (which is obviously illegal), "somehow" Francis knows that Carey will accept a trade ... much like how players used to, and now will again, North through complex contract offers, select a team and negotiate final details within hours of free agency "opening".

The unknown in all this is exactly how Price came to be exposed ... reports are that Price initiated the waiver of his NMC late in the week, after the deadline for teams to request players do so ... ***if*** true, did he do it to ensure Allen stays because Carey may miss the start of the season, or at least need a lightened workload, after surgery ... OR ... is there a chance that Carey wants to go to Seattle ... however it came to be, absent an agreement with Seattle to not draft Price, MB is OK with the possibility of losing Price (he didn't have to expose Price just because the NMC was waived).

Wednesday will probably end up being anticlimactic for habs fans, with he taken selecting Kulak or Lukas Vejdemo

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can’t wait till Wednesday to find out🥳

If they don’t pick Price do we see him on a very extended LTIR stint? Meaning that we have the cap space either way?

LTIR only frees up cap space if he would be out the entire season ... his full cap hit returns if he is activated from LTIR in-season.

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Part of me thinks Seattle is just trying to drum up anxiety in Bergevin so he’ll give them a pick not to take Price ...

This is the most likely scenario.

14 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Part of me thinks Seattle is just trying to drum up anxiety in Bergevin so he’ll give them a pick not to take Price. 

if they sign Drieger, I’d be very surprised if they have any intention of taking Price, unless they plan on flipping him to a different team at reduced salary. 

Say, Price to the Avs for a first and a couple prospects. This gives the Avs that star netminder in their current cup contender window.

Price would need to waive his NMC for any subsequent trades.

15 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

19 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I don't see the Avs taking on Price's contract, they have their own issues trying to sign Landeskog, Makar and Mckinnon in a couple years.  I don't see MB giving any sort of high pick not to pick Price, if he wanted to play that game he could have protected Price and given up a lesser pick not to take Allen but I suspect Seattle wanted too much in order not to pick Allen hence the decision to leave Price unprotected instead.

Apparently the Kraken ownership have giving Francis the okay to take Price. Doesn’t mean he will but they seem willing to spend the money for the star power.

I really thInk this comes down to his health. Do the habs have to provide medical info?

6 minutes ago, brobin said:

Apparently the Kraken ownership have giving Francis the okay to take Price. Doesn’t mean he will but they seem willing to spend the money for the star power.

I really thInk this comes down to his health. Do the habs have to provide medical info?

According to this, Price may not even see the doctors before Wednesday, let alone give that info to Seattle. https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/carey-prices-uncertain-injury-status-complicates-krakens-decision/

The Kraken are basically taking a leap of faith.

It might still be worth it for them, provided they secure a #1A-type backup, just as the Habs have done.

I can't believe this is happening.  I think Price is gone. His wife is from Washington. He's way closer to home. Seattle gets the marketing of a star goalie. I can't see why they don't do this. 

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I can't believe this is happening.  I think Price is gone. His wife is from Washington. He's way closer to home. Seattle gets the marketing of a star goalie. I can't see why they don't do this. 

If it happens (which I don't think it will) then it's rebuild time with some good young kids, no bad contracts (depends on what happens with Weber) and a lot of cap room. 

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

LTIR only frees up cap space if he would be out the entire season ... his full cap hit returns if he is activated from LTIR in-season.

A la Kucherov 

LTIR all session due to surgery?

Ready to dominate in the playoffs? If we make it that far. 

IDK the whole thing stinks of something fishy 

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... LTIR all session due to surgery? ...

LTIR because Kucherov was physically unfit to be medically cleared to play ... at least until very late in the season (and then there was effectively no way for the TBL to remove him from LTIR) ... a full-season LTIR for Price would depend on the severity of the injury/surgery ... its not automatic.

1 hour ago, brobin said:

All medical information for all players exposed in the draft have to be provided to Seattle.

That said, Price's diagnosis is unclear as he has further testing on Thursday.  Seattle would know the same things the Habs know, on Price, Drouin, Weber and the rest of the available players.

I don't think Seattle will take Price.  If they do he is untradeable due to his NMC and he ties up a lot of cap space.  Their plan seems to be to use their cap space to acquire assets.   

5 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

There doesn't seem to be an official rule against it, but I read somewhere that the league has told the teams in no uncertain terms that this would be ruled as being cap circumvention. How Toronto and Tampa using 3rd parties to retain salary in order to acquire players is much different is questionable.

This is from the CBA - Section 50.5 (e)(C)(3):

Under no circumstances may a Club:

Reacquire within one (1) calendar year from the date of that Retained Salary Transaction an SPC the Averaged Amount and Player Salary and Bonuses of which that Club agreed to retain as part of a Retained Salary Transaction;

What Toronto did with getting double retention is fine because Columbus traded Foligno but didn't try to get him back.  Had the transaction been Foligno to San Jose then back to Columbus with retention, that would have been vetoed.  With Price going to Seattle in this scenario, they can't get him back with any retention for 12 months whether it's through Seattle or a third party (like San Jose was in the Foligno trade).  They can, however, reacquire him at full price.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Reacquire within one (1) calendar year from the date of that Retained Salary Transaction an SPC the Averaged Amount and Player Salary and Bonuses of which that Club agreed to retain as part of a Retained Salary Transaction;

What Toronto did with getting double retention is fine because Columbus traded Foligno but didn't try to get him back.  Had the transaction been Foligno to San Jose then back to Columbus with retention, that would have been vetoed.  With Price going to Seattle in this scenario, they can't get him back with any retention for 12 months whether it's through Seattle or a third party (like San Jose was in the Foligno trade).  They can, however, reacquire him at full price.

Totally agree that the Foligno deal (50% CBJ retained, 25% SJS retained) is completely legit, and clever exploration of the rules to boot.  But in the proposed Price scenario, is an expansion draft a retained salary transaction?

In any case, I doubt that the NHL would allow it.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Totally agree that the Foligno deal (50% CBJ retained, 25% SJS retained) is completely legit, and clever exploration of the rules to boot.  But in the proposed Price scenario, is an expansion draft a retained salary transaction?

In any case, I doubt that the NHL would allow it.

Once claimed, the player becomes Seattle's property so for Price to go back to Montreal, it would be via a trade.  If there's retention, it's obviously a retained salary transaction.

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I don't think Seattle will take Price.  If they do he is untradeable due to his NMC and he ties up a lot of cap space.  Their plan seems to be to use their cap space to acquire assets.   

I agree, Ron Francis  said the following  "the one thing we think is extremely, extremely valuable in this environment is cap space".  That doesn't sound like a guy willing to use up 10.5M in cap space to sign a 34 year old goalie with injury concerns. Perhaps MB read that comment and decided it was safe to leave Carey unprotected. 

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, Ron Francis  said the following  "the one thing we think is extremely, extremely valuable in this environment is cap space".  That doesn't sound like a guy willing to use up 10.5M in cap space to sign a 34 year old goalie with injury concerns. Perhaps MB read that comment and decided it was safe to leave Carey unprotected. 

Or it's extremely valuable because it enables you to pick up a $10M goalie?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Ok, so no rule against trading him back, but definitely a rule about retention. They should probably tighten up the rules on retention, though. I appreciate Columbus getting two 1sts thanks to it, but using a third party solely for the financial impact is pretty lame. Just as lame as the Ladd trade that wasn't a trade. Even if it is just a token 7th, a trade involves give and take!