2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

The concern around Hoffman baffles me. The Habs won't contend next season, don't need cap space to go deep sea fishing in the UFA pool, and his contract expires at the completion of next season. Basically, you eat Hoffman for another year. 

What is the burning need to jettison Hoffman that people are willing to spend assets to do it? I consider cap space in 24-25 to be an asset, when debating a buyout.

10 minutes ago, huzer said:

The concern around Hoffman baffles me. The Habs won't contend next season, don't need cap space to go deep sea fishing in the UFA pool, and his contract expires at the completion of next season. Basically, you eat Hoffman for another year. 

What is the burning need to jettison Hoffman that people are willing to spend assets to do it? I consider cap space in 24-25 to be an asset, when debating a buyout.

I agree about not giving up assets to get rid of Hoffman ... but I would love to get rid of him ... maybe a little cap savings ($1.2M) for Washington and the Habs take on Mantha, who apparently is out of favour and also only has one year left ... maybe a little sweetener from the Caps (right to swap 2025 firsts) ... I just feel like Hoffman is not someone I want around young players 

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree about not giving up assets to get rid of Hoffman ... but I would love to get rid of him ... 

I also agree. Maybe he has a decent year and then you would have little trouble getting rid of him at the deadline (retaining 50% of course).  I think we just bite the bullet until the trade deadline. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I also agree. Maybe he has a decent year and then you would have little trouble getting rid of him at the deadline (retaining 50% of course).  I think we just bite the bullet until the trade deadline. 

I don't want him around the youngsters for that long ... Hoffman has two straight seasons of missing 15 games and just scoring in the mid-teens ... with his history and defensive deficiencies, unless he is on a 30++ pace I don't see him garnering more than a 3rd at the deadline ... not worth keeping him around IMO.

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I don't want him around the youngsters for that long ... Hoffman has two straight seasons of missing 15 games and just scoring in the mid-teens ... with his history and defensive deficiencies, unless he is on a 30++ pace I don't see him garnering more than a 3rd at the deadline ... not worth keeping him around IMO.

Is he such a negative influence on the youngsters that keeping him around until the trade deadline will leave permanent scars?  I don't think we have information to make that judgement. We have a lot of guys missing time due to injuries.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree about not giving up assets to get rid of Hoffman ... but I would love to get rid of him ... maybe a little cap savings ($1.2M) for Washington and the Habs take on Mantha, who apparently is out of favour and also only has one year left ... maybe a little sweetener from the Caps (right to swap 2025 firsts) ... I just feel like Hoffman is not someone I want around young players 

When I wrote my blurb, Mantha was one of the players that I had in mind about flipping Hoffman for hoping that the replacement can be more impactful than Hoffman.  Hoffman has some usefulness left in him but it's evident that his best isn't going to come on this roster as it's currently constructed. 

Riding out the deal is certainly an option but if there's a chance to flip him for another underachieving expiring, there's not a ton of downside to that approach either.  

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

One of the problems with Hoffman is St. Louis. 

Hoffman often receives top end minutes with PP time and Marty plays him with good players. 

While I do want Hoffman to go bye bye, one more year isn’t an issue. 

I think that was the "get him going so we can trade him" approach.

On 5/22/2023 at 6:12 AM, DON said:

Watching Canada vs Swiss game.

One canadian playerJoe Valeno, 100% on purpose, stomped on the lower leg of a Swiss player, missed by officials, but holy f**k, what a stupid and dangerous play.

That's disgusting 

3 hours ago, huzer said:

We shouldn’t be Ben be considering givinjng up anything to get rid of him. Play him on top 6, or at worst top 9, and try to get him going. Then you tease him and retain 50%. If his crap. Waive him and send his lazy ass to Laval.

6 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

That's disgusting 

That’s the kind of play that made Bobby Clarke a hero and a legend. 

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s the kind of play that made Bobby Clarke a hero and a legend. 

It's embarrassing that we are still celebrating that series when violently breaking Russian Gretzky's ankle was the turning point in it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We shouldn’t be Ben be considering givinjng up anything to get rid of him. Play him on top 6, or at worst top 9, and try to get him going. Then you tease him and retain 50%. If his crap. Waive him and send his lazy ass to Laval.

Yup. Someone will take him at the trade deadline if he does anything at all during the season. 

23 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It's embarrassing that we are still celebrating that series when violently breaking Russian Gretzky's ankle was the turning point in it.

Yeah, that was an absolute disgrace. 

I think that if Bobby Orr had been healthy, Bobby Hull had been allowed to play, and the Canadians had taken the Russians seriously instead of going into the series fat (literally) and complacent, Team Canada probably could have won that series more handily. And without the massive cheat. Soviet fans must have been beside themselves. And rightly so.

• Like 1

Sorry got little empathy for Russian country, it deserves lots of bad crap to happen to it, after all the atrocities it has inflicted (as have USA also i suppose both are pretty darn evil/greedy empires)

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry got little empathy for Russian country, it deserves lots of bad crap to happen to it, after all the atrocities it has inflicted (as have USA also i suppose both are pretty darn evil/greedy empires)

I reject any parallel between the two. Both are empires, both did/have done horrible things (e.g., the war in Iraq), but the Soviet Union was fundamentally an indefensible system and an enemy of human liberty in a way not true of the US (at least, after desegregation). Otherwise put, the USA has been something like a liberal democracy, as opposed to the corrupt authoritarian/totalitarian USSR and that is a meaningful moral difference.

Of course, the US is now sliding into soft authoritarianism, so it may be slithering closer to the condition of the post-Stalin Soviet Union.

None of this, however, is any justification for deliberately breaking the ankle of one of the greatest hockey players of all time, just because he was beating you shift after shift. That's just outright cheating, period.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

Russia has already had a lot of bad stuff happen to it, probably more than any western country. It was the biggest sufferer from both world wars and then had decades of Soviet repression. The Russia we have today has been through the wringer already, and is not a great place because it's been a victim of history.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I reject any parallel between the two. Both are empires, both did/have done horrible things (e.g., the war in Iraq), but the Soviet Union was fundamentally an indefensible system and an enemy of human liberty in a way not true of the US (at least, after desegregation). Otherwise put, the USA has been something like a liberal democracy, as opposed to the corrupt authoritarian/totalitarian USSR and that is a meaningful moral difference.

America's proportion of prison population today is comparable to the Soviet Union under the worst of the gulag system. The 'liberal democracy' facade is a function of the American elite's ability to export its atrocities (post-slavery) rather than inflict them on their own populace. As this power wains we're seeing the slide into authoritarianism, as you put it.

Given; Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Hutson (spring playoffs 2024).

How poorly do LH d-men play on the right side? Is it a big hit statistically?

i know it is simply harder to handle puck on your backhand, passing or off the boards, but does it make big difference and that you 'should' have 3 RH and 3 LH d-men dressed?

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Given; Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Hutson (spring playoffs 2024).

How poorly do LH d-men play on the right side? Is it a big hit statistically?

i know it is simply harder to handle puck on your backhand, passing or off the boards, but does it make big difference and that you 'should' have 3 RH and 3 LH d-men dressed?

Think it has a lot to do with whether the player played their "off-side" at lower levels ... Harris supposedly did.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/05/25/canadiens-defenceman-kovacevic-should-not-be-underrated-habs-analysis-harris/

Bar was pretty low (Wideman, Savard, Barron) but.

"The other issue that some brought up was the praise for Kovacevic, and that will be the focus of this particular article.

While it may not seem that way based on their experience or pedigree, once you take a moment to delve into the numbers, it’s rather clear Kovacevic quickly became the most valuable RD on the roster."

And dlbalr also noted earlier; but still seems so odd to defer to bunch of billionaire owners.

"It turns out the NHL’s Department Of Player Safety oversees all disciplinary actions during the Memorial Cup, including referee supervision.

One could be easily excused for assuming the governing body (CHL) would be tasked with making the decision, because, well, they’re the governing body for Junior hockey in Canada."

34 minutes ago, DON said:

And dlbalr also noted earlier; but still seems so odd to defer to bunch of billionaire owners.

"It turns out the NHL’s Department Of Player Safety oversees all disciplinary actions during the Memorial Cup, including referee supervision.

One could be easily excused for assuming the governing body (CHL) would be tasked with making the decision, because, well, they’re the governing body for Junior hockey in Canada."

Perhaps dates back to when the President of the CHL was also a commissioner of one of the leagues ... giving the NHL control eliminated accusations of favouritism.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps dates back to when the President of the CHL was also a commissioner of one of the leagues ... giving the NHL control eliminated accusations of favouritism.

As noted; Beck's suspension "might' of made Petes less competitive and that is the reason he is allowed to play today...was reasoning guessed at.

Slew foot is a slew foot and 2 games seemed reasonable, given Beck also had a major penalty earlier in series  vs Knights (check to head).

• tomh009 unpinned this topic