Cole Caufield contract

Interesting, I figured Commandant was right and that Cole was still too young.  Like @dlbalr said, I still doubt Cole signing a RFA offer is an issue.  Cole really likes Montreal and his teammates (especially Nick) and believes they are building something special.  I can't really picture him ditching the Habs like the disgruntled spoiled brat idiot KK did.  

Hughes better get on that ASAP and have him signed before Free Agency starts.  One reporter out of Ottawa speculated that DeBrincat won't resign with the Sens.  After watching DeBrincat's exit interview I tend to agree with that prediction.  It sounded like Ottawa is too small of a city and his wife doesn't like being there.  It could be super bad if Cole isn't signed by that time.  If DeBrincat as a 40 goal guy gets 9.5-10 mil for 7 years Coles contract will likely cost the Habs way more.

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hughes better get on that ASAP and have him signed before Free Agency starts.  One reporter out of Ottawa speculated that DeBrincat won't resign with the Sens.  After watching DeBrincat's exit interview I tend to agree with that prediction.  It sounded like Ottawa is too small of a city and his wife doesn't like being there.  It could be super bad if Cole isn't signed by that time.  If DeBrincat as a 40 goal guy gets 9.5-10 mil for 7 years Coles contract will likely cost the Habs way more.

I'd be surprised if Caufield is signed by the start of free agency.  I'm expecting late September which is often how long deals like this take.

DeBrincat isn't really a comparable situation as he's locked into a $9M qualifying offer and is one year away from UFA rights while Caufield is five years away.  (His first season was below 40 games and doesn't count toward UFA eligibility.)  DeBrincat also had a bit of a down year so I don't think $9.5M is on the table for him right now.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

So best to shelve this thread till late summer.

Since when does logic and precedent have anything to do with what gets posted on the Internet?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since when does logic and precedent have anything to do with what gets posted on the Internet?

I know, just kiddin.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be surprised if Caufield is signed by the start of free agency.  I'm expecting late September which is often how long deals like this take.

DeBrincat isn't really a comparable situation as he's locked into a $9M qualifying offer and is one year away from UFA rights while Caufield is five years away.  (His first season was below 40 games and doesn't count toward UFA eligibility.)  DeBrincat also had a bit of a down year so I don't think $9.5M is on the table for him right now.

I agree, being 1 year away from free agency gives you more leverage. They are comparable players but different situations right now. 

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But as a side note, if DeBrincat walks from the Sens, that is excellent news. 👍 Whatever hurts those pus-bags is A-OK by me.

Gustavsson for Talbot (Gustavsson was excellent in Minnesota.  Ottawa is letting Talbot go in Free Agency).

Wasting a top 10 pick on Tyler Boucher (who is profiling worse than McCarron did at the same age). 

Another top 10 pick for Debrincat (who may get traded again, but won't net another top 10 as a player one year from UFA and off a down year)

Their recent moves haven't been good. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Gustavsson for Talbot (Gustavsson was excellent in Minnesota.  Ottawa is letting Talbot go in Free Agency).

Wasting a top 10 pick on Tyler Boucher (who is profiling worse than McCarron did at the same age). 

Another top 10 pick for Debrincat (who may get traded again, but won't net another top 10 as a player one year from UFA and off a down year)

All hail Pierre Dorion.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:43 AM, Commandant said:

I agree with the exception of Chychrun because his mom is from Ottawa and his grand parents live there as does his sister.  I imagine he will be there for a while, unless he prefers to play on another crappy rebuilding team and be coached by his Uncle Luke Richardson in Chicago.  

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Dreger suggests (staring at about the 11:00 mark) that CC likely looking for something like Tim Stützle's contract ... 8@$8.35M ... I doubt Habs are going to get much better for 8 years.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Darren Dreger suggests (staring at about the 11:00 mark) that CC likely looking for something like Tim Stützle's contract ... 8@$8.35M ... I doubt Habs are going to get much better for 8 years.

I can see where a bridge deal would be tempting, just to make sure he can stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

I would be fine with 8x8.35M. Sign him up, Jent!

I agree with this 👍

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can see where a bridge deal would be tempting, just to make sure he can stay healthy.

Can certainly see the logic in this but what happens when Caufield scores 50+ starting next season? His salary demands would move closer to 11 million. 

Lock him up 

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with this 👍

Can certainly see the logic in this but what happens when Caufield scores 50+ starting next season? His salary demands would move closer to 11 million. 

Lock him up 

Fair

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with this 👍

Lock him up 

I would prefer a bridge deal to see if he can stay healthy for the full season. 
he hasn’t proven that yet

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would prefer a bridge deal to see if he can stay healthy for the full season. 
he hasn’t proven that yet

That is why Hughes and Gorton get fairly big bucks to make such decisions ... as PMK pointed out above, the contract coming out of a bridge is likely to be double digits, especially as by the then the cap is likley to be going up ... this is the opportunity to get him on a contract that looks expensive to start but in the last half becomes a real bargain (ala MacKinnon - CONTRACT comparison, not performance projection) ... but CC likley looking at a bridge to cash-in bigger when the cap starts to move again.

• 3 weeks later...

Short-medium-long?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/cole-caufield-contract-montreal-canadiens-slaary-cap-hit-term-opinion-analysis-comparison-mackinnon-pastrnak/

"There is ample precedent for five-/six-year contracts to serve as a benchmark. The higher end of the spectrum contains players like Nikolai Ehlers (22 years of age, 8.0% of the salary cap, seven years), Matthew Boldy (22, 8.48%, seven years), William Nylander (22, 8.76%, six years), and Jake Guentzel (24, 7.55%, five years). The lower end includes the likes of Adam Henrique (23, 6.22%, six years), Joel Farabee (22, 6.14%, six years), Travis Konecny (22, 6.75%, six years) and Drake Batherson (23, 6.1%, six years).

At the current salary cap of $83.5 million, 7% equates to $5.85 million, 8% to $6.68 million, and 9% to $7.52 million."

17 hours ago, DON said:

Short-medium-long?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/cole-caufield-contract-montreal-canadiens-slaary-cap-hit-term-opinion-analysis-comparison-mackinnon-pastrnak/

"There is ample precedent for five-/six-year contracts to serve as a benchmark. The higher end of the spectrum contains players like Nikolai Ehlers (22 years of age, 8.0% of the salary cap, seven years), Matthew Boldy (22, 8.48%, seven years), William Nylander (22, 8.76%, six years), and Jake Guentzel (24, 7.55%, five years). The lower end includes the likes of Adam Henrique (23, 6.22%, six years), Joel Farabee (22, 6.14%, six years), Travis Konecny (22, 6.75%, six years) and Drake Batherson (23, 6.1%, six years).

At the current salary cap of $83.5 million, 7% equates to $5.85 million, 8% to $6.68 million, and 9% to $7.52 million."

If we did 6y at 6.5M-7.5M i would be thrilled tbh. Sets us up very nicely for four strong years from 2025-26 to 2028-29.

I figure next two years are still going to be largely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

If we did 6y at 6.5M-7.5M i would be thrilled tbh. Sets us up very nicely for four strong years from 2025-26 to 2028-29.

I figure next two years are still going to be largely irrelevant.

I doubt Caufield goes over 5 years if he is looking to bridge (more likely IMO 3 years tops) ... unless HuGo decide to Matthews him (i.e., UFA money for RFA years).

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/1664639552835801093?s=20From Tony Marinaro:

Cole Caufield contract update:

Yesterday, I reported that I’m hearing @colecaufield’s new contract with @CanadiensMTL will NOT be more than Nick Suzuki’s cap hit of $7,875M

Today: I was just informed talks progressing - all signs point towards a 7 or 8 year deal.

I'll add the tweet link, but it doesn't seem to be embedding for me.

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/1664639552835801093?s=20tps://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/1664639552835801093?s=20

• tomh009 changed the title to Cole Caufield contract