Cole Caufield contract

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Marinara is a jackanapse, but that doesn’t mean his info is wrong. 

CC for Suzuki numbers for 7-8 years would be 

image.jpeg

But (IMO) highly unlikely

Maybe for two years

Since the NHL never did anything about Carolina's KK offer sheet circumvention BS (1 yr offer sheet with a "wink-wink" 8-year extension agreement) another team ***COULD*** come in with a BIG 1-yr offer sheet and mitigate it in the long-term with a follow-up 8-yr deal ... and Carolina does need goal scoring.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Since the NHL never did anything about Carolina's KK offer sheet circumvention BS (1 yr offer sheet with a "wink-wink" 8-year extension agreement) another team ***COULD*** come in with a BIG 1-yr offer sheet and mitigate it in the long-term with a follow-up 8-yr deal ... and Carolina does need goal scoring.

What number do you think it would take for Montreal to seriously consider walking away from in a scenario like this?

Just now, dlbalr said:

What number do you think it would take for Montreal to seriously consider walking away from in a scenario like this?

So much depends on how the negotiations are going ... if CC has shown no interest in whatever the Habs consider a reasonable long-term deal, then $10.725M (2x1st, 1x2nd, 1x3rd) sets a very high bar for summer 2024 negotiations and might and might make them walk away.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

So much depends on how the negotiations are going ... if CC has shown no interest in whatever the Habs consider a reasonable long-term deal, then $10.725M (2x1st, 1x2nd, 1x3rd) sets a very high bar for summer 2024 negotiations and might and might make them walk away.

That is seriously the point that makes you really think hard. I’m not sure what I would do - leaning sign him but a huge risk based on a partial season! 

We all expect Caufield to be a perennial 40+ scorer but we base this on junior and a partial season. We are also very sure that Ducharme was the reason he couldn’t score. 

10.75 X 8 years for a bust would be hard to swallow. Don’t expect a bust at all but those picks start looking attractive. 

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That is seriously the point that makes you really think hard. I’m not sure what I would do - leaning sign him but a huge risk based on a partial season! 

We all expect Caufield to be a perennial 40+ scorer but we base this on junior and a partial season. We are also very sure that Ducharme was the reason he couldn’t score. 

10.75 X 8 years for a bust would be hard to swallow. Don’t expect a bust at all but those picks start looking attractive. 

In my hypothetical it would be $10.75M for one year and have to do it all over again by July 1, 2024 ... if Habs matched.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In my hypothetical it would be $10.75M for one year and have to do it all over again by July 1, 2024 ... if Habs matched.

Oh yeah I forgot this was about the KK thing. 

I would sign him then if the wink wink expectation was an 8 year deal at a lower rate

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks.  Here's the follow-up question.  Who can afford to pay him that next season?  There aren't many teams that could realistically do so.  Yes, Carolina is one of them but they also have Aho, Teravainen, Necas, and Jarvis all up the following year - they can't extend all of them plus another big ticket in Caufield, even at a more realistic AAV, and be cap-compliant.  I expect Carolina to do what they did last year and take on a pricey expiring contract or two, giving them an upgrade without costing them much in the way of assets.

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

For the record, this offer at eight years would yield four first-round picks.  The divisor for offer sheets is five so for anything longer, the AAV for compensation purposes is total salary divided by five.  $10.725M x 8 = $85.8M / 5 = $17.16M for offer sheet purposes which is the top threshold.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Well I’m pretty sure DD is probably the only coach Caufield had such bad production, since he got his first pair of skates as a kid. 
My main concern is whether he can stay healthy. That’s a risk with any player, but a bit higher with a smaller player who is going to take a lot of abuse. Having said that, I’d much rather sign him to a 8 year deal now, rather than signing him to bridge deals and signing him to a 8 year deal when he is  between 25 and 28.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well I’m pretty sure DD is probably the only coach Caufield had such bad production, since he got his first pair of skates as a kid. 
My main concern is whether he can stay healthy. That’s a risk with any player, but a bit higher with a smaller player who is going to take a lot of abuse. Having said that, I’d much rather sign him to a 8 year deal now, rather than signing him to bridge deals and signing him to a 8 year deal when he is  between 25 and 28.

You would sign Caufield to 10.75 X 8 years right now?

I so want that info to be real but at this point I can't really see it being true.  Cole does speak about Suzuki like he is the reason why Cole scores goals.  However, if Cole was willing to sign for that then why is his contract negotiation still on going? In that scenario, it should be a quick and easy signing that doesn't drag on and on.  There is something a miss about this rumor and it doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I so want that info to be real but at this point I can't really see it being true.  Cole does speak about Suzuki like he is the reason why Cole scores goals.  However, if Cole was willing to sign for that then why is his contract negotiation still on going? In that scenario, it should be a quick and easy signing that doesn't drag on and on.  There is something a miss about this rumor and it doesn't add up.

Agree ... if it were that simple it would be long done.

That the rumour was started by Tony Marinaro is the first clue that MUCH is a miss.

Could there be a strange angle to it that we are missing?  Might Hughes have a devious plan to have Cole signed but not submit it until after UFA season starts to help sign UFA's for less?    ex:  Hughes being able to say to potential UFA's:  "we can't give you that much because we still have to sign Cole" 

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Could there be a strange angle to it that we are missing?  Might Hughes have a devious plan to have Cole signed but not submit it until after UFA season starts to help sign UFA's for less?    ex:  Hughes being able to say to potential UFA's:  "we can't give you that much because we still have to sign Cole" 

And UFAs then saying to Hughes: Nice talking to you Kent, have a good summer ... let's have dinner when my new team visits nest season.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

You would sign Caufield to 10.75 X 8 years right now?

Up to $8.5Mx8. But ideally you get him for that term for under $8m.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No way does he get Auston Matthews money. Settle down everyone

Yeah. He has not produced for a full year yet, and he is not a centre.

• Upvote 1

If someone gave CC an offer sheet and the compensation was 4 1st round picks, it would be worth looking at to not match.  It would depend on the team and the upcoming drafts.  If it’s a team like Arizona, there potentially those 4 picks are mostly, if not all, top-10 picks and the upcoming draft classes are good it’s worth not matching.

On the flip side if it’s a team like Carolina, I would match in a heartbeat, as the picks will be closer to seconds than firsts.

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If someone gave CC an offer sheet and the compensation was 4 1st round picks, it would be worth looking at to not match.  It would depend on the team and the upcoming drafts.  If it’s a team like Arizona, there potentially those 4 picks are mostly, if not all, top-10 picks and the upcoming draft classes are good it’s worth not matching.

On the flip side if it’s a team like Carolina, I would match in a heartbeat, as the picks will be closer to seconds than firsts.

A team like Phoenix isn’t going to offer sheet anyone, and it wouldn’t make sense for a rebuilding team lower in the rankings to offer sheet anyone.

If there’s going to be an offer sheet it’s going to be a team with a cap space. It would more likely be a good team that is looking to fill a hole to put them over the top. It could also potentially be a team that finished low, have lots of prospects and need a piece or two to take the next step. Teams in that category are potentially  Ottawa and Buffalo. However, Caufield isn’t the type of player that it would make sense for them to offer sheet.

I don’t see Caufield to be the type of player teams are going to through max $ at. The one that makes sense is a Carolina (based in need for a goal scorer). But I don’t see them throwing that kind of money at Caufield.

im not overly concerned about a big offer sheet for him. I’m more concerned about going with bridge deal(s), and then having to pay him $10m+ for the full 8 year max term into his 30’s. 

I’d be thrilled if we got him to a Suzuki type deal, but would be willing to go up to $8.5m on a max term deal. What I want to avoid with is the Marner, Matthews, or DeBrincat type deals.

La Presse has just announced that Caufield signed an 8 year contract averaging out to 7.85 million$ per year!

This is great news. Looking forward to watching Cole and Nick light it up for many years to come!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Oh my Lord - this is OUTSTANDING 👍👍👍

• Like 1

• tomh009 changed the title to Cole Caufield contract