Newhook signs 4-year, $2.9M AAV deal

Meller93

Thought this deserved its own thread because IMO it comes in with a lower cap hit than some expected

This seems like really good value to me, as Newhook already seems to offer 3 million dollar value as a mid 30 point, middle 6 speedster, who can hold his own defensively. 

certainly has potential to be a steal of a contract if Newhook becomes a 50 point guy in the top 6. 

How does this affect your perception of Newhook as a Hab? 

Doesn't impact my perception at all, but another outstanding (IMO) contract by Hughes.

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am pleasantly surprised, thought it would be a little over 3 but Hughes seems to be good at negotiating deals. Will probably be quiet on the Habs front for a while now. 

I guess this is one benefit of having an ex-agent as a GM.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Doesn't impact my perception at all, but another outstanding (IMO) contract by Hughes.

How did you like the trade in the first place? We’re the two picks a steep price or reasonable?

personally I think Newhook has 60 point upside (and a reasonably high floor) so I thought the price paid was reasonable 

9 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

How did you like the trade in the first place? We’re the two picks a steep price or reasonable?

personally I think Newhook has 60 point upside (and a reasonably high floor) so I thought the price paid was reasonable 

Newhook didn't come cheap BUT I think the Habs are getting to the point where it's more about quality than quantity. 

12 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I like the deal ... Newhook is further along in his development (obviously) than would be the 31st amd 37th picks, who might not even be rookies until the team is serious about the playoffs, if ever ... around the draft fans fall in love with the IDEA of draft picks ... if the Habs had made the trade at the deadline )I know it wasn't a likely deadline deal) I doubt those who were the most vocal when it was would have been as upset.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I like the deal ... Newhook is further along in his development (obviously) than would be the 31st amd 37th picks, who might not even be rookies until the team is serious about the playoffs, if ever ... around the draft fans fall in love with the IDEA of draft picks ... if the Habs had made the trade at the deadline )I know it wasn't a likely deadline deal) I doubt those who were the most vocal when it was would have been as upset.

Draft picks are important, but yes, fans tend to fall in love with them. The infinite potential they represent is always more exciting than the actual players you secure with them. 

As I keep saying, one player like Newhook would be considered a good haul from two 2nd-round picks. That’s why I’ve been fine with this deal from day one.

Word keeps going around that HuGo is accelerating the rebuild…by acquiring 22-year-olds with NHL experience, he’s speeding it up. I think playoff contention is a serious goal this season, believe it or not. Not a necessity, but a desired target.

As for this deal, it seems fine. I don’t think it’s a steal by any means, since Newhook has established he can play but not that he can be a top-6 presence. Fair value. The interesting thing is that Newhook didn’t ‘bet on himself’ by insisting on shorter term.

If Newhook stays healthy this season, I'm expecting him to break the 40 point mark. 

He's young, so I expect him to keep improving and I expect he'll get more opportunities in Montreal than he did in Colorado.  Based on the highlight packages I've seen he's a skilled guy with good compete. 50 points is definitely not out of the question. 

• Upvote 1

These AAV's are so good from Hughes that I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't have some under the table form of extra compensation set up. The only downside is that it takes Newhook right to UFA.

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

These AAV's are so good from Hughes that I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't have some under the table form of extra compensation set up. The only downside is that it takes Newhook right to UFA.

It doesn't.

He only has two years in the NHL... so he will only have 6 years of service (and will not be 27 yet), at the conclusion of the contract. 

He will be RFA for one more year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

The only downside is that it takes Newhook right to UFA.

There is no free lunch … you pay now or you pay later.

If Newhook turns out great and the Habs are a contender, we sign him to a UFA contract during his last year—or trade him somewhere else if we can’t make a deal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There is no free lunch … you pay now or you pay later.

If Newhook turns out great and the Habs are a contender, we sign him to a UFA contract during his last year—or trade him somewhere else if we can’t make a deal.

This is true too. 

The more I think about it, you don't worry about walking someone to UFA if you are signing a multi-year (3 or more) deal.  You have those years to convince the player to sign the extension in the last year, or trade them if they don't. 

Same situation you would have with a guy with one year of RFA.... he signs or you trade him before you get to arbitration. 

Either way it's almost exactly the same in that you will know before the contract is up and have the time to trade the player as a rental if you want (or keep them as your "own rental")

I think we overreact to a long deal that walks someone to UFA.   (though again, we have 1 year of RFA at the end of the Newhook and Dach deals).

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Loved Hughes doing similar swap again this year, using picks for young NHL forwards, love the idea of it...seems smart way to go.

Dont know salary/contract stuff well enough (dont care enough perhaps) to have an opinion on term/$$, but 'seems' good deal for Habs.

Love that he is a fast skater and showed some nice offense before turning pro.

3 hours ago, sim.on said:

If Newhook stays healthy this season, I'm expecting him to break the 40 point mark. 

He's young, so I expect him to keep improving and I expect he'll get more opportunities in Montreal than he did in Colorado.  Based on the highlight packages I've seen he's a skilled guy with good compete. 50 points is definitely not out of the question. 

I think he'll get 40 points easily with top-6 minutes and linemates. The question is if he can establish himself as a true top-6 piece over the course of this deal and score in the 50-60 point range.

25 minutes ago, Neech said:

I think he'll get 40 points easily with top-6 minutes and linemates. 

Just 1 Hab had more than 40pts last year.

Why would he 'easily' get more, do you expect the team's offense will be that much better this coming year? 

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dach, Caufield, Hoffman, and Mattheson all would have been easily over 40 if they stayed healthy.  So yes, with better health the offence should be better.

That is certainly a key this year, staying healthy, after leading the league in man games/injury the last couple years you would think they are due for a break. 

20th place scored just 25 goals more than the Habs.

Habs will be better than 20th this year?

If not, cant see many Habs getting 40+ points. Suzuki & Caufield are it is my guess.

Dont think offense will improve very much and there will always be injuries.

image.png

• tomh009 changed the title to Newhook signs 4-year, $2.9M AAV deal

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Newhook gonna score 

Hopefully anyway.  I'd love to see him get 60+ pts in his 1st year.  It will be interesting to see what he can do on a new team that has a very different mentality with how they handle young players.  That should make a big difference on how he plays and his production.  

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Notably, the front-loaded structure means that his qualifying offer will be just $2.1 million in 2027.

Nice.  That is a really smart idea to do that.

14 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Thought this deserved its own thread because IMO it comes in with a lower cap hit than some expected

This seems like really good value to me, as Newhook already seems to offer 3 million dollar value as a mid 30 point, middle 6 speedster, who can hold his own defensively. 

certainly has potential to be a steal of a contract if Newhook becomes a 50 point guy in the top 6. 

How does this affect your perception of Newhook as a Hab? 

How contract at this point isn’t going to alter my perception one way or the other right now. If he proves to be a good, productive and consistent top 6 it will be a great contract. If he is a 10-15 goal scorer/25-35 point guy 3 years from now, it will be about what he should be getting, if he drops off he’ll be overpaid and bought out like Zadina.

im hopeful he will be one a top 6 guy, but the contract he signs today, really matter. Frankly, I would have preferred a 2 or 3 year deal, and if he breaks out, we sign him for a bigger 8 year deal when he is younger at 24 or 25, thhab when his is 26. That we can Ed be locking into him into his early 30’s, rather then into his mid 30’s.

Having said that, I think it’s a good deal for both sides and not a big gamble for either. But his deal isn’t going to change my perception of him, how he plays will.

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Notably, the front-loaded structure means that his qualifying offer will be just $2.1 million in 2027.

I don’t think the qualifying offer really matters if he does break out - he will get paid either because he won’t accept thr qualifying offer or go to arbitration. The buyout that would be required if he busts, would also be less right?

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hopefully anyway.  I'd love to see him get 60+ pts in his 1st year.  It will be interesting to see what he can do on a new team that has a very different mentality with how they handle young players.  That should make a big difference on how he plays and his production.  

Nice.  That is a really smart idea to do that.

I’m hoping ge busts out as well, but if he does, I don’t think it really matters what the qualifying offer is - he wouldn’t accept it anyways.