Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some of our D prospects will surely be traded. Which ones end up staying and which ones being traded will depend on the value other teams assign to those prospects, relative to how our own management team values them. So, there is a chance that Norlinder, for example, will stay, and someone else will be traded for a forward or goalie prospect.

You are so right on this

For example, Romanov was a fan favourite but was traded because of the Habs LD prospect pool 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not every defence prospect in our system will have an NHL career, but we want to keep the ones that will.  With Norlinder, he's a bit older, and left handed (where we are deeper) so more chance of being ready to give up on him. 

Fully agreed. My point was that the ones we end up keeping may not always be the obvious ones if another teem is really keen on one of our prospects and willing to pay high to get that player. But, yes, Norlinder is absolutely more likely to be traded than, say, Engstrom.

No surprise here.  He had a pretty good camp all things considered, showing there are elements to his game that can make a positive impact in the NHL today.  Now, it's about shoring up those weaknesses and playing big minutes in Laval should help that.

• Upvote 3

I agree with Terry's main point.

I would love to see him  'loaned' to Laval; as i hear he hasnt done alot in pre-season to cement a spot, Habs say they want to be patient with the kids, would think it should only be a good thing for his development (aside from worry about being targeted by goons or some AHLer trying to make a name) and for Hughes to actually show he is willing to be more patient in most likely another rebuilding season.

Leave Juraj Slafkovsky Alone – HabsWorld.net

And Norlinder has looked better eh, nice.

Thought he was headed back home to SHL and just not taking to smaller rink, physicality.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-notebook-norlinders-balance-of-poise-competitiveness-could-land-him-nhl-job/

https://www-lapresse-ca.translate.goog/sports/hockey/2023-10-03/rondelle-libre/mattias-norlinder-la-renaissance-d-un-espoir-glorifie-a-tort.php?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

We shall see.

Relax: Canadiens' Slafkovsky Still Has Time to Become an Impact NHL Player - The Hockey News

"This has been a trend. Very few players 6-foot-3 or taller have the co-ordination and mobility to keep up at the NHL level at 18 years old. They have quite literally been growing and filling out their frame until that point, and learning how to play their game with an added couple of inches can be difficult."

2 hours ago, DON said:

We shall see.

Relax: Canadiens' Slafkovsky Still Has Time to Become an Impact NHL Player - The Hockey News

"This has been a trend. Very few players 6-foot-3 or taller have the co-ordination and mobility to keep up at the NHL level at 18 years old. They have quite literally been growing and filling out their frame until that point, and learning how to play their game with an added couple of inches can be difficult."

I don’t think anyone is dismissing, as yet, the kid’s potential to “become an impact player.” I doubt he will become a star, but he might well become a feared power forward good for 20+ goals, 50-60 points.

But that article can very easily be used as support for the proposition that he was brought up much too soon. His numbers are the WORST of any comparable player on that list provided - check. Then there’s the pull quote I put just below - check. And I’d add the possibility that his serious injury was a direct result of his not knowing what he was doing out there.

”Although he is built like a horse at 6-foot-3 and 238 pounds coming into this season, he lacked the strength and sturdiness last year that allowed him to stay on his feet against the best players in the world.” 

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t think anyone is dismissing, as yet, the kid’s potential to “become an impact player.” I doubt he will become a star, but he might well become a feared power forward good for 20+ goals, 50-60 points.

But that article can very easily be used as support for the proposition that he was brought up much too soon. His numbers are the WORST of any comparable player on that list provided - check. Then there’s the pull quote I put just below - check. And I’d add the possibility that his serious injury was a direct result of his not knowing what he was doing out there.

”Although he is built like a horse at 6-foot-3 and 238 pounds coming into this season, he lacked the strength and sturdiness last year that allowed him to stay on his feet against the best players in the world.” 

He reminds me so much of Guillaume Latendresse

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This kid looks like he has a good work ethic - that alone separates him from Fatendresse.

He seems listed 230lb now, so dropped 8lbs, cant hurt one bit.

slafkovsky.jpg

Position: LW
Height: 6-3
Weight: 230
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: 2004-03-30 Age: 19
Birthplace: Kosice, Slovakia slovakia.gif

Drafted in the 1st round (1st overall) in 2022. Drafted by Erie in the 2nd round (90th overall) in the 2021 CHL Import Draft

Juraj Slafkovský - Habs Prospects

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This kid looks like he has a good work ethic - that alone separates him from Fatendresse.

Yup, there is no questioning his work ethic, plus he will be a better skater than Latendresse ever was. 

I am not worried about Slaf, he is 19!!  He will figure it out. 

Slaf has had 2/3 of one season to acclimate to North American ice. 

His body wasn’t ready and his mind wasn’t ready. He was trying to adjust to the small ice. 

He should have started in Laval! Most agree on this but now Slaf has had a year of growth and experience. Let’s see how he performs but if he struggles I hope HuGo have the balls to send him down. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Laval was not the right place for him last year.  Too many shitty players looking to make a name for themselves on the fourth lines/third defence pairs in the AHL who would want to make a name for themselves by running and injuring the first overall pick, especially one who was taken by a high profile NHL team like the Habs. 

This isn't saying the NHL was the right place for him either, he wasnt ready. 

I think he should have gone back for another season in Europe last year, even if that meant playing on bigger ice for one more year. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In what way, other than height/weight stats? Style wise, I don't find them similar at all.

Anyway, Lats was never the same after he concussed DiMaio, and forced him into retirement. He appeared to be the prototypical physical power forward until that hit.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slaf has had 2/3 of one season to acclimate to North American ice. 

His body wasn’t ready and his mind wasn’t ready. He was trying to adjust to the small ice. 

He should have started in Laval! Most agree on this but now Slaf has had a year of growth and experience. Let’s see how he performs but if he struggles I hope HuGo have the balls to send him down. 

I actually think they should have sent him to a junior team. Let him get used to the smaller ice, while gaining confidence in dominating against his power group and taking on a leadership role. Would also allowed him to play in world juniors. It was a huge mistake keeping him last year. I’m glad they let Reinbacher go back home like he originally wanted. Hopefully he won’t be rushed next year as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Slaf should be given 10 games or so, like the junior players, to see if he's ready to step up to the NHL level and sent to Laval if he isn't this year.  At this point his development is far more important than his reputation of a 1st overall pick. 

1 hour ago, huzer said:

In what way, other than height/weight stats? Style wise, I don't find them similar at all.

Anyway, Lats was never the same after he concussed DiMaio, and forced him into retirement. He appeared to be the prototypical physical power forward until that hit.

Rushed to NHL. A skilled forward in tight spaces, big body but not physical , not great defending , hyped 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Laval was not the right place for him last year.  Too many shitty players looking to make a name for themselves on the fourth lines/third defence pairs in the AHL who would want to make a name for themselves by running and injuring the first overall pick, especially one who was taken by a high profile NHL team like the Habs. 

This isn't saying the NHL was the right place for him either, he wasnt ready. 

I think he should have gone back for another season in Europe last year, even if that meant playing on bigger ice for one more year. 

good point, and believe you are correct about the Europe assignment last year.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Rushed to NHL. A skilled forward in tight spaces, big body but not physical , not great defending , hyped 

Fair parallels, although unlike Fats, Slaf can skate.

The Habs rushed both Latendresse and Ribeiro and neither player - blue chippers both - benefitted one bit. That was a nightmare era when the Habs could do nothing right, being led by imbeciles.

They badly mishandled Slaf’s rookie season, but hopefully he recovers. I mean, even Fats went on to that 25-goal season before being detailed by concussions; it is possible to be mishandled and still evolve into a good player.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair parallels, although unlike Fats, Slaf can skate.

The Habs rushed both Latendresse and Ribeiro and neither player - blue chippers both - benefitted one bit. That was a nightmare era when the Habs could do nothing right, being led by imbeciles.

They badly mishandled Slaf’s rookie season, but hopefully he recovers. I mean, even Fats went on to that 25-goal season before being detailed by concussions; it is possible to be mishandled and still evolve into a good player.

I hope , I truly hope

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope , I truly hope

The best example I can think of is Carey Price. Of course, Slaf is not a talent on that level, but still. It can happen.