2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The critique is powerful when it comes to Anderson specifically.

MSL publicly said he was trying to change Anderson’s game - something that I don’t recall him ever saying about Dvorak or Gally. MSL seems to have looked at Josh and thought that he could unlock what could be there if the guy had any hockey sense. The problem is, he doesn’t, and never did.

The result of this “Gentlemen, I can Rebuild Him” hubris was that Anderson visibly lost all self-confidence and identity as a player. His whole season has been kiboshed by what seems to be an honest attempt to change his game. But Anderson can’t change his game. He can only be Josh Anderson.

In past seasons, that was good enough. But now he’s lost the thread. Who knows if he can get it back.

he said the same about Gallagher in the first season, saying how he didn't need to go all out and come back out of gas to the bench. It was very early and then Gally got hurt (if I remember correctly).

Dvo, you are right. He has not said so, but he deployed him in offensive situations and/or with what we see as offensive-minded players.

I think that Anderson would find a decent level in the right team. But they would try to get him at a discount which would be too little for the Habs given his salary cap.

Their last hurrah before being moved/sold?

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Their last hurrah before being moved/sold?

So tired of this Arizona BS…it’s been a disaster for 30 years straight. Pull the plug and let this wheezing zombie of a franchise finally expire.

Ouch

Stretchered off

If I’m not mistaken this was Sergachev’s first game back from injury as well (missed almost 20 games), he has had a rough go over his career with injuries.

Classy move by Rags team in this case to show support (obv not uncommon but still classy), was obv not a dangerous play but a bad luck situation. Lafreniere is a big boy (so is Sergachev) and that was just an awkward injury and looked painful.  See that type of injury in football often, legs bending the wrong ways.

Sergy is also on first year of major contract to boot so he must be dealing with all sorts of physical/mental challenges this season. He lost his spot on PP1 that he’d taken last season, and is playing less minutes when healthy thanks to revitalization of Hedman.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So tired of this Arizona BS…it’s been a disaster for 30 years straight. Pull the plug and let this wheezing zombie of a franchise finally expire.

Agree 100.

”best fans on the world”?  What all 50 of them?

I’m gonna be on west coast soon for work (haven’t been since pre pandemic).  Since it’s been a while, I’m gonna extend trip with some vacay time, gonna an old family friend who winters in AZ to play golf and was curious to see a game at Mullett arena and see first hand what it’s like. Will be Wings in town (my 2nd fave team, behind Habs obv).

Our family friend has coyote season tix, said he can’t even give them away most games and can’t stand to go himself unless there is a visiting player he wants to see (was a scout in 80’s/90’s) so he gets jazzed when elite players come through.  

Said he enjoys Mooseheads games more (he’s from NS).

Apparently the golfing in AZ is great though.

Random reason I’m also excited:

Gonna check out climate pledge arena for first time on this trip as well, Pens and Oilers are in town while

I’m there.

But yeah, best fans in the world?

i know every org says that but when Coyotes do, it really just highlights how terrible they are from ice to board room.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think that likely ends his season 

Maybe it’s the fact that they’re both Russian defencemen, but the way Sergachev suffered a major injury, came back, and immediately got injured again reminds me of Markov and his knee. So frustrating.

Sergachev is a hard guy to like because he plays mean, but nobody deserves what he got here. Ugh.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think that likely ends his season 

TBL is in the playoff race, trying to catch TO for 3rd in the Atlantic or retain a wildcard spot ... I think they were counting on Sergachev's return to give them a big boost ... it will be interesting to see how they react ... do they try to trade for a Top4 defenceman ... Do they have the assets to make such a trade.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Do they want a reunion with David Savard.

I was thinking the same thing, but do they even have any picks to move. They’re in a tough spot. Stamkos contract is going to be up, do they roll the dice and go all in and move more picks, or decide it’s not worth it with Sergechev out and potentially unavailable for the playoffs?

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I was thinking the same thing, but do they even have any picks to move. They’re in a tough spot. Stamkos contract is going to be up, do they roll the dice and go all in and move more picks, or decide it’s not worth it with Sergechev out and potentially unavailable for the playoffs?

Id take Ethan Gauthier and/or Jack Thompson from their prospects if they dont want to move picks.

• Like 1

Just now, Commandant said:

Id take Ethan Gauthier and/or Jack Thompson from their prospects if they dont want to move picks.

The question is though do they try and go for it if Sergechev is out for the year? Before the injury thought Tampa was a potential landing spot, since they may roll the dice one more time before Stamkos’s deal is up. At the start of the year they didn’t want to commit to him, so next year could have been the start of a rebuild - I think Hedman is also up the following year. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not that I think they have what would it take to make a deal, but I expect they would be more interested in Matheson than Savard ... maybe a deal including their 2024 or 2025 first if it falls 1-10 might be interesting (i.e., not moved in the previous trades because those were Top 10 protected) ... but don't know what they could offer as alternatives if the picks aren't Top 10 and move out because of the previous trades.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not that I think they have what would it take to make a deal, but I expect they would be more interested in Matheson than Savard ... maybe a deal including their 2024 or 2025 first if it falls 1-10 might be interesting (i.e., not moved in the previous trades because those were Top 10 protected) ... but don't know what they could offer as alternatives if the picks aren't Top 10 and move out because of the previous trades.

Matheson's value must be pretty high at the moment; $4.9 for next couple seasons isnt bad for a top four d-man.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Matheson's value must be pretty high at the moment; $4.9 for next couple seasons isnt bad for a top four d-man.

I agree ... and don't see TBL having enough assets to make a Matheson deal.

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

Was watching the game last night and saw that injury develop live. 

It was brutal.

It was brutal, but absolutely not a dirty play by Lafreniere. Sergachev was skating hard to drive him into the boards, and he moved a bit away from the boards to avoid being bashed. And by that time it was too late for Sergachev to stop or change direction. In any case, the injury had little to do with the actual check, it was the way he fell down after it.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

With it being an LTIR thing (he has been ruled out for the rest of the season and a decent chunk of the playoffs) and the fact Sergachev should be back for next season, I suspect their preference would be to look at the rental market.  Otherwise, they'd be creating more problems for the summer when they also need to re-sign Stamkos.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With it being an LTIR thing (he has been ruled out for the rest of the season and a decent chunk of the playoffs) and the fact Sergachev should be back for next season, I suspect their preference would be to look at the rental market.  Otherwise, they'd be creating more problems for the summer when they also need to re-sign Stamkos.

They would be able to easily move him in the summer if they retain 50%, I think. They are not using any of their retention slots at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Jets two bad losses since Monahan-trade.

Our 1st rounder looking better every day.

Yeah, part of me wants to see Monahan and the Jets do well and the other part wants to see them tank. I think realistically the best we can hope for is a pick in the 20-25 range. I also think there is a very good chance Hughes uses this pick as a bargaining chip in another deal 

22 hours ago, GHT120 said:

... I expect they would be more interested in Matheson than Savard ...

18 hours ago, DON said:

Clickbait30 follows this board ... 😉 ... 😄