GAME#27 Habs vs Sabres 7pm Sat Dec 9 2023

DON

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I again humbly suggest that Ylonen take Anderson’s place on the third line and ice time. 

Really fun game to watch although I was frustrated with Buffalo’s dirty play. 

Ylonen is really starting to break out over the last 10 game or so.  Reward the kid.  He has better hands and vision than I thought he did.

I'm stoked that Primeau has returned to his previous what have you done with Primeau state.  After he got lit up in his game I was sorta worried that he might go back to being himself.  

It is surprising that he outplayed Levi tonight.  At 1 point last year I wanted the Habs to get Levi, but he's increased his value significantly since then that I doubt the Sabers would get rid of him now.  

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I again humbly suggest that Ylonen take Anderson’s place on the third line and ice time. 

Really fun game to watch although I was frustrated with Buffalo’s dirty play. 

I agree Ylonen deserves to be on the 3rd line but I disagree with bumping Anderson to the 4th line.  He gets paid way too much and has numerous years left on his contract.  The Habs aren't in a position where they can burry Anderson like that, what they need is for him to start producing - which is unlikely if he's on the 4th line.  

Two things

1 a move of anderson to the 4th line wouldnt have to be forever anyways.

2 this is all a moot point anyways as i think Pearson hurt his hand and thats gonna open a third line spot anyway.  Ylonen to 3rd and Pezzetta back in on the 4th tomorrow seems likely.

• Like 1

Caufield is so snakebitten lately, maybe the shootout goal will help him get out of the funk. Barron made a pretty egregious giveaway on the second goal, hopefully he's still working those out of his system and they're more of a bug than a feature.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two things

1 a move of anderson to the 4th line wouldnt have to be forever anyways.

2 this is all a moot point anyways as i think Pearson hurt his hand and thats gonna open a third line spot anyway.  Ylonen to 3rd and Pezzetta back in on the 4th tomorrow seems likely.

Isn’t there a better forward in Laval than pezzetta? I’m not a fan

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I assumed Pezzetta cause he is with the team.  Also it seemed the Sabres took some liberties tonight so maybe they will want him back in the lineup.

That said if they do a callup, i doubt they do a Roy, Kidney, or Farrell as they seem to want to give them AHL time.  Meanwhile vets like Gignac and Bourque are on AHL only contracts, and Im not sure the Habs would want to use up one of the 50 contract slots to turn that into a two-way deal and call them up.  So maybe Simoneau cause he has a full AHL year under his belt.

57 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Condotta could be an upgrade on Pezzetta in every way.  He's bigger, tougher, better fighter, and seems to have more skill.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So maybe Simoneau cause he has a full AHL year under his belt.

I like the sound of that idea but without WiFi and Dach's size  I think he would make the team too small.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree Ylonen deserves to be on the 3rd line but I disagree with bumping Anderson to the 4th line.  He gets paid way too much and has numerous years left on his contract.  The Habs aren't in a position where they can burry Anderson like that, what they need is for him to start producing - which is unlikely if he's on the 4th line.  

I don’t want to bury Anderson on the 4th line for his contract. 

I want Anderson to face less pressure and easier assignments. Play Anderson with Pezzetta and let them smash and bang with speed and power. 

Anderson put together 2 or 3 games last week where he played hard but other than that he isn’t playing like himself. 

Anderson doesn’t drive the net with speed, he isn’t dominant on the boards, he isn’t mean like he used to be and he isn’t producing. 

Put him on the 4th without expectations and let him get his crap together. 

Should Power's shootout goal have counted.  He skates back toward his own goal slightly just before shooting.  The rule book says:

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line

Maybe a move like his is typically allowed?

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Laval just played back-to-back so anyone you'd put in would be playing their third game in three nights.  When you add that to the equation, putting Pezzetta in is probably the better move for tonight at least.

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Should Power's shootout goal have counted.  He skates back toward his own goal slightly just before shooting.  The rule book says:

I always found that rule perplexing. If I sweep the puck back as part of a lateral deke, technically it is not being “kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line” 🤷‍♂️ I guess it’s, as you say, a matter of latitude in interpretation…

9 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I noticed this as well. It seemed really close.

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t want to bury Anderson on the 4th line for his contract. 

I want Anderson to face less pressure and easier assignments. Play Anderson with Pezzetta and let them smash and bang with speed and power. 

Anderson put together 2 or 3 games last week where he played hard but other than that he isn’t playing like himself. 

Anderson doesn’t drive the net with speed, he isn’t dominant on the boards, he isn’t mean like he used to be and he isn’t producing. 

Put him on the 4th without expectations and let him get his crap together. 

I didn't mean for them to burry him for his entire contract.  My point was that no team will trade for a 4th liner making 5.5 mil/yr with yrs left on their contract.  I don't believe that dropping Anderson to the 4th line will help him get out of his current funk.  Plus, as you said he has been playing better lately so hopefully that continues to trend upwards vs regress.

It sucks this year for Ylonen because he is deserving of playing higher than the 4th line.  For next year the Habs need to get rid of Dvorak, Armia, and possibly Anderson to make room for Beck and Roy.  Ylonen would likely be a good fit with those 2 and they'd make a formidable 3rd line.