2024 NHL Entry Draft

17 hours ago, DON said:

Comment on Caufield before 2019 draft;

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)
Lack of size
Needs to improve on defense
Doesn’t like to handle the puck in the defensive zone

How much worse is Eiserman's defensive effort or skills? And he dosent turn 18 till August, so is hope he can see the light defensively.

The thing is Caufield was a  no-brainer pick at 15 - or even after the top 10. Is Eiserman a no brainer at #5?  While there aren’t the same height/size concern with Eiserman - that was one of the big reasons Caufield fell. There are the same concerns about one dimensionality.

On the flip side at #5 this year, Lindstrom with his injuries,

is giving me a Turcotte vibe. Injured guy during his draft year, so unable to fully assess his progression this year.

isn't Berkly Catton a closer comparable to Caufield? and one with more upside than Eiserman?

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it was Catton that had high IQ and work ethic - that’s a HuGo player 

Catton has been top prospect for awhile and #1 WHL pick.

Was noted by Hadi K, that Lindstrom had better offense than Catton, if compare points/60minutes of play, Catton is 5'11" but can get pushed around bit too easily.

Lindstrom's physicality/size must be much more attractive to Hughes, if given choice at 5.

Catton #6, Lindstrom ranked #5 in EP's consolidated rankings

Hopefully we see Levshunov & Silayev (or any d-man) get picked in the top 4.

Mock 2024 NHL Draft: Experts split after Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev go top 3 | NHL.com

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Was noted by Hadi K, that Lindstrom had better offense than Catton, if compare points/60minutes of play, Catton is 5'11" but can get pushed around bit too easily.

Catton and Lindstrom were pretty close in points per 60 minutes of play. However Catton was the one who carried his team on his back while Lindstrom had a guy named Gavin Mckenna to play with. 

This will be the most interesting draft in a long time because of the unpredictability after #1. Should be fun to watch. Trading up and down happens infrequently but more likely to happen this year because of the unpredictability. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Lindstrom's physicality/size must be much more attractive to Hughes, if given choice at 5.

Catton #6, Lindstrom ranked #5 in EP's consolidated rankings

Hopefully we see Levshunov & Silayev (or any d-man) get picked in the top 4.

Mock 2024 NHL Draft: Experts split after Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev go top 3 | NHL.com

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Catton and Lindstrom were pretty close in points per 60 minutes of play. However Catton was the one who carried his team on his back while Lindstrom had a guy named Gavin Mckenna to play with. 

This will be the most interesting draft in a long time because of the unpredictability after #1. Should be fun to watch. Trading up and down happens infrequently but more likely to happen this year because of the unpredictability. 

I can’t remember a draft where there is no consensus on picks 2-12. Even Demidov floats from 2-5. 

Habs are going to get a shot at a great player but a draft like this also has potential land mines like Kotkaniemi. 

22 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If Demidov falls to us is he a nobrainer?

Rumours are that Hughes/Gorton love him.  I think we should.

A lot of people wanted Michkov last year, Demidov might be better and with less risk.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is another similarity to Turcotte. It would be nice if Chicago or Anaheim wanted a Dman and felt that they could get him at #5.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Rumours are that Hughes/Gorton love him.  I think we should.

A lot of people wanted Michkov last year, Demidov might be better and with less risk.

Button says Demidov is the only player worth trading up for after Celebrini is gone at #1, McCagg also thinks Demidov is better than Michkov. There seems to be a growing consenus that Demidov is #2.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It would be nice if Chicago or Anaheim wanted a Dman and felt that they could get him at #5.

It most certainly would be nice. I think there will be more discussion than usual about moving up or down. Whether anything results from those discussions is another matter but the Habs have the extra pieces/draft picks to make something happen. Time to get an elite forward. 

The last time a top 3 pick was moved (after teams knew the draft order) was 2003 before the salary cap.

Yes the Leafs gave up 2nd in the Kessel.trade but didnt know it would be 2nd when they traded it.

The last time a top 5 pick moved was 2008.

So its just so rare.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The last time a top 3 pick was moved (after teams knew the draft order) was 2003 before the salary cap.

Yes the Leafs gave up 2nd in the Kessel.trade but didnt know it would be 2nd when they traded it.

The last time a top 5 pick moved was 2008.

So its just so rare.

No question it's a rare occurrence. I just think that this year the probability is just a little greater because of so little consensus between 2 and 12.  

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs are going to get a shot at a great player but a draft like this also has potential land mines like Kotkaniemi. 

There are always risks when drafting 18 yr-olds ... but 2018 was a weak draft in terms of top-end talent, and Bergevin et al compounded things by REACHING for KK and drafting for need instead of BPA.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Button says Demidov is the only player worth trading up for after Celebrini is gone at #1, McCagg also thinks Demidov is better than Michkov.

And the Flyers still don't know when or whether Michkov will come to the NHL.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

There are always risks when drafting 18 yr-olds ... but 2018 was a weak draft in terms of top-end talent, and Bergevin et al compounded things by REACHING for KK and drafting for need instead of BPA.

Yes ... but they might have picked Hayton or Zadina instead--both were picked before Hughes--and that would have been worse yet that Kotkaniemi.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And the Flyers still don't know when or whether Michkov will come to the NHL.

And that's why Demidov may fall a bit, there is no guarantee he will come to the NHL.  I don't know if he has indicated his desire to play in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And that's why Demidov may fall a bit, there is no guarantee he will come to the NHL.  I don't know if he has indicated his desire to play in the NHL. 

He refused to extend KHL deal, so they kinda stuck him in MHL- junior league he was too good for and not play KHL as punishment?

So, he may be able to come to North America after 1 more year in current deal?

I think is what i heard, or thereabouts.

(BUT, seems likely to be picked very early on anyways.)

On 5/18/2024 at 6:51 PM, DON said:

He refused to extend KHL deal, so they kinda stuck him in MHL- junior league he was too good for and not play KHL as punishment?

So, he may be able to come to North America after 1 more year in current deal?

I think is what i heard, or thereabouts.

(BUT, seems likely to be picked very early on anyways.)

Michkov joining Flyers this season....

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Michkov joining Flyers this season....

Maybe.  That was based on a google translate of an article and SKA coach throwing cold water on it today.

Still seems to be a negotiation to get out of his contract.

In your opinion, how high is too high for Tij Iginla ?  Rumor has him rising fast. 

If he even has half of his father grit and leadership, I would definitely love to get a Galagher Deluxe. 

20 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

In your opinion, how high is too hifh for Tij Iginla ? 

5th seems too high and unlikley to last past Calgary at 9th.

Inside 2024 NHL Draft star Cayden Lindstrom’s emergence — and the status of his health - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

Will the big kid be available at 5?

Nice write up by Wheeler.

“He plays hard and he’s got some real meanness. He has good vision, he makes some high, high-end plays, and he does things quick. He’s a fast-twitch guy. Everything he does he does it quick,” Desjardins said.

Lindstrom_Cayden-Credit-Jenn-Pierce-scal

Athletic did two rounds of draft with Wheeler and Pronman. Their selections:

5. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Ivan Demidov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg

With a young group of D coming, and a year after taking one at No. 5, the Habs jump on the second-best forward in the class and grab the potential game-breaker they need.

26. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Lucas Pettersson, C, Modo

After taking a winger with their first pick, the Habs grab the well-liked Swedish center with their second pick. C’s like Beaudoin, Hage, and Boisvert would make some sense here if one of them is available as well.

57. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Pronman): Simon Zether, C, Rogle

Zether is a big center with good offensive skills and competitiveness who held his own at the SHL level this season although his skating is just OK.

It's fun to project/guess who the Habs may take at 5, likely a forward, however that will be dependent on who the teams drafting before them take (Captain Obvious statement).  It seems to me that if there is a forward they really want to get (ie Demidov or Lindstrom) then Anaheim is the obvious partner if they want to trade up. Of course, as we have noted, those trades are a rare occurrence.