Game 54 Habs at Rangers 7pm Thursday Feb 15

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ylonen is an example of the kind of prospect that we, as fans, would have pinned huge hopes on in the era from Houle to Bergevin. He seems fast, smart, capable - almost a PPG in the A - so you think, “he should be able to do something.” And yet he is utterly unproductive, a total cipher at the NHL level.

I’m sympathetic to the idea that there is more there, but we should remember: he is currently playing on one of the worst FW units and one of the worst teams in the league. If he can’t make himself an important cog in that environment, is he really going to do better on a team that actually has quality depth at the FW position? 

I think he may wind up being just another one of those washouts who seemed promising and yet never did squat.

With Ylonen, I've always thought he's the type of player who has to have skilled linemates to succeed.  Stick him on the fourth line with a centre who scores 5 goals a year and Pezzetta and it's not going to end well; he doesn't have the skill-set to elevate a group.  He's a complementary player who can shoot and skate, and not a whole lot else. 

But put him with a pure playmaker and he should have some success as a player that just gets to the open spots and is ready to fire.  Accordingly, he might fit on a third line with a team with better depth with linemates that are more skilled offensively that will make the most of his shooting ability.  In Montreal, they're trying to make him more of a two-way guy since they're putting him with players who most nights have no hopes of scoring.  That's a role he has never had before and the end result has been a lot of mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With Ylonen, I've always thought he's the type of player who has to have skilled linemates to succeed.  Stick him on the fourth line with a centre who scores 5 goals a year and Pezzetta and it's not going to end well; he doesn't have the skill-set to elevate a group.  He's a complementary player who can shoot and skate, and not a whole lot else. 

But put him with a pure playmaker and he should have some success as a player that just gets to the open spots and is ready to fire.  Accordingly, he might fit on a third line with a team with better depth with linemates that are more skilled offensively that will make the most of his shooting ability.  In Montreal, they're trying to make him more of a two-way guy since they're putting him with players who most nights have no hopes of scoring.  That's a role he has never had before and the end result has been a lot of mediocrity.

Fair points. I guess we'll see, in the end - assuming he manages to land a tryout with a better team.

Pierre Dagenais playing with Ribeiro?

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

2 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Pierre Dagenais playing with Ribeiro?

Boy, there's a blast from the past.  Yeah, something along those lines would probably allow Ylonen to have more success than he has had so far.

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

In Montreal, they're trying to make him more of a two-way guy since they're putting him with players who most nights have no hopes of scoring.  That's a role he has never had before and the end result has been a lot of mediocrity.

The flip side to that is IF he develops a solid defensive game, he makes a great 3rd line player.  A more offensive version of Lehkonen that can play higher in the lineup if needed, but is a solid 3rd liner.  Which is a great idea, but defense is arguably the hardest thing to teach effectively.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m sympathetic to the idea that there is more there, but we should remember: he is currently playing on one of the worst FW units and one of the worst teams in the league. If he can’t make himself an important cog in that environment, is he really going to do better on a team that actually has quality depth at the FW position?

Some players are able to make good players better--they are essentially complementary to good players--but cannot drive or enable a weaker line to become a strong one on their own. I would say Hoffman might have been in the complementary category, he could help the scoring on a top line but couldn't do much at all on the bottom six. On the other hand, Monahan could make almost any line better. Somebody else probably has better examples. 😊

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

The flip side to that is IF he develops a solid defensive game, he makes a great 3rd line player.  A more offensive version of Lehkonen that can play higher in the lineup if needed, but is a solid 3rd liner.  Which is a great idea, but defense is arguably the hardest thing to teach effectively.

As I recall, he was on the PK while Armia was in Laval, and was not terrible (in spite of this being a new role for him) but I don't think he's seen any PK time since Armia returned.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some players are able to make good players better--they are essentially complementary to good players--but cannot drive or enable a weaker line to become a strong one on their own.

There are also players that get pumped-up/dragged-along by better players but don't really "complement" their line-mates.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

There are also players that get pumped-up/dragged-along by better players but don't really "complement" their line-mates.

Absolutely.

lineup

Cole Caufield -- Nick Suzuki -- Juraj Slafkovsky

Tanner Pearson -- Jake Evans -- Brendan Gallagher

Joshua Roy -- Alex Newhook -- Josh Anderson

Michael Pezzetta -- Brandon Gignac -- Joel Armia

Mike Matheson -- Kaiden Guhle

Jayden Struble -- David Savard

Arber Xhekaj -- Johnathan Kovacevic

Sam Montembeault

Jake Allen

Scratched: Cayden Primeau, Jesse Ylonen

Injured: Raphael Harvey-Pinard (lower body), Jordan Harris (upper body)

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I fully agree.

I watched come of the games he him played in LVL and he was fast, had a very good shot but was not great at recovering the puck when the passes where off. He looked out of place often because he would skate to where he was supposed to be from practice (he is fast) but the passes never got there. He does not adapt well to the players he plays with.

If he does not get a chance with the Habs on the 3rd line, I think he is heading to EU where he can probably play for many more seasons and make a decent salary. I doubt another NHL team would target him as a 3rd liner, each team has a version of Ylonen

Tough night for Kovacevic, who is usually pretty low event. I'd rather not give up 7 every other night. On the other hand, Slaf and Cole continue to produce. I thought Anderson was decent as well.

This team is a long way from being solid defensively. Matheson is good but isn't an anchor that the kids can lean on.

Yep, their D still needs work but their top line is on fire offensively.  

I'm sure Marty was mad at Arber after the 1 goal where he sorta pinched near the Habs blue line and Zebenajad got by him creating a 2 on 1 and he passed over for a Rags goal.

Which Habs dman slid on the 1 Rags goal?  I'm not sure if he was even looking at the Rags player with the puck as he slid.  Plus, he should have been on his side vs face down.  Then, he might have been able to see and stop the pass to Krieder.  

I was surprised the Habs goal challenge failed.  It seemed like Krieder was hugging the 1 post and was in Monty's way.  

My feed was acting up and I swear I saw Gignac score and it was called off but I didn't fully see the goal or why it didn't count.  

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I agree 100%.

A few weeks ago, we joked around with friends that if you'd put Ylonen in Guentzel's jersey without telling anyone, there is a chance we might not be able to tell the difference that easily. :D

53 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I agree 100%.

A few weeks ago, we joked around with friends that if you'd put Ylonen in Guentzel's jersey without telling anyone, there is a chance we might not be able to tell the difference that easily. :D

How is that a joke?

Ylonen has done absolutely nothing while Guéntzel has been at ppg pace for 5-6 years and has a 40 goal season under his belt.

Ylonen has two nice shootout goals.

It’s a joke you’d disrespect Guentzel like that.  Ylonen wouldn’t be playing in the NHL on a competitive team.

31 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

How is that a joke?

Ylonen has done absolutely nothing while Guéntzel has been at ppg pace for 5-6 years and has a 40 goal season under his belt.

Ylonen has two nice shootout goals.

It’s a joke you’d disrespect Guentzel like that.  Ylonen wouldn’t be playing in the NHL on a competitive team.

The joke is that Ylonen would probably only look great surrounded by Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang.

You don't seem very good with social skills stuff man. Chill out. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

The joke is that Ylonen would probably only look great surrounded by Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang.

That is what I guessed ... but in fairness, even that is a s-t-t-r-r-r-e-e-e-e-t-t-t-t-t-c-c-c-c-c-c-h-h-h-h-h-h-h.

56 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

You don't seem very good with social skills stuff man. Chill out. 

I got the joke the first time, it is sad how much it is true.

When I see how well Lehkonen and Dadonov did once freed from MTL, I wonder how well Anderson, Ylonen, Pearson would do in other teams. :unsure:

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I got the joke the first time, it is sad how much it is true.

When I see how well Lehkonen and Dadonov did once freed from MTL, I wonder how well Anderson, Ylonen, Pearson would do in other teams. :unsure:

Weve seen pearson on vancouver.  He was not good.  His wrist is a mess and he cant shoot like he used to.

I feel bad for Wheeler, who maybe seemed to underestimate Struble's strength? and another painful looking injury.

A rather large body called up by Rangers.

Rempe could make NHL debut for Rangers in Stadium Series | NHL.com

"Rempe, a towering presence listed at 6-foot-7 and 241 pounds, has 12 points (eight goals, four assists) in 43 games with Hartford this season."