Game #65, Columbus @ Montreal, 7pm EST, Tuesday March 12, 2024

I didn't see the entire game and in fact I didn't catch any of the goals.  I'll have to watch recap for sure.

However, I did see that Primeau was tested pretty good and especially late in the 3rd where he made several huge saves in the last 5 mins to main the shutout.

It's ironic that's the Habs 2nd shutout this year, and he has both of them.  I believe in his 1st SO he had under 20 shots but I heard the announcer say he had 40 in this game.

image.png

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn't watch it, but it seems to have been a statement game by Primeau, no?

Yeah I didn’t watch it either but Primeau must be over the moon. 40 something shot shutout, including a highlight reel save. 

Watching Slafkovsky’s PP goal has me thinking about how dangerous our PP is going to be. Caufield’s deadly shot on the right, Slafkovsky’s deadly one timer on the left side. Tough to cover both sides. 

If someone just caught the final score, they'd think that the Habs played well....and boy oh boy would they be wrong.  Primeau kept Columbus from coming back in that game (well, that and Columbus being very short on high-end talent).

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

skipped this one too.

was it any good?

It was good for the first 5 minutes.  After that, it can only be viewed as good if you are huge Primeau fan.

• Upvote 1

Was an entertaining game.

Caufield 1a 6 shots, 5 points in last 5 games but 0 goals.

Slafkovski with nice 1 timer; now with 14g20a, adding up.

Roy, Newhook & Xhekaj had some nice plays.

Glad Primeau was able to get shutout, he deserved it.

St Louis started the Evans line and quickly paid off.

10 Thoughts: Primeau Stellar in Shutout Win – HabsWorld.net

Canadiens scores three early, leave Cayden Primeau to do the rest (habseyesontheprize.com)

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn't watch it, but it seems to have been a statement game by Primeau, no?

Good news for Primeau and the Habs plans for next season ... but one or two games doth not a statement make.

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah I didn’t watch it either but Primeau must be over the moon. 40 something shot shutout, including a highlight reel save. 

Watching Slafkovsky’s PP goal has me thinking about how dangerous our PP is going to be. Caufield’s deadly shot on the right, Slafkovsky’s deadly one timer on the left side. Tough to cover both sides. 

I think a big difference than earlier this year, is that Matheson is finally passing to Slafkovsky. Before he would be defaulting to Caufield and Suzuki, and seemed to be avoiding Slafkovsky.

50 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think a big difference than earlier this year, is that Matheson is finally passing to Slafkovsky. Before he would be defaulting to Caufield and Suzuki, and seemed to be avoiding Slafkovsky.

That is probably true but Slafkovsky had to earn their confidence first.  He is finally doing that which is great to see. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Good news for Primeau and the Habs plans for next season ... but one or two games doth not a statement make.

Very true, but it’s intriguing that the Habs ships out Allen and the very next game he plays, he steps in and bags a SO. That’s the “statement” part: “you FINALLY made room for me? Well watch this.”

Of course, if he gets shellacked next time, then the statement is somewhat annulled. But on its own terms, I think it was an impressive moment for the young man.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very true, but it’s intriguing that the Habs ships out Allen and the very next game he plays, he steps in and bags a SO. That’s the “statement” part: “you FINALLY made room for me? Well watch this.”

If a goalie is capable of playing shutout hockey as a statement, wouldn’t he do it more often, maybe to gain starter status?

No, I think Primeau played a good game and had a few pucks bounce his way. But not likely an intentional statement.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

No, I think Primeau played a good game and had a few pucks bounce his way. But not likely an intentional statement.

Very much so.  Jenner had him fooled twice (including right after the Gallagher goal) and got the post on one and whiffed on the other.  Columbus had some other posts as well, I believe.  Primeau certainly played well but had some good luck along the way too.

• Like 2

I only caught the first period. I will say, I wasn't as impressed with the early "miraculous glove save" as most. It was predicated by a really bad rebound on what was a mediocre save on the shot from the face-off dot. He basically cleaned up his own mess. Nice push to get there in time, but in reality, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Of course, Anderson was complete crap on his back check, so Texier shouldn't have even been able to get the shot off, either. 

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the biggest difference is last year Caufield was on fire on the left side one-timer.  This year, he's cooled off so the team has to look for other options.  For development of the whole team, that's a good thing, especially if Slafkovsky becomes serviceable as a right side one-timer.

It's unfortunate that CBJ didn't take 1 more shot because the record for shots in a Habs home game shutout is 42.  It's a 3 way tie for that record:  Plante, Theodore, and Price.   Primeau would be in good company if they had taken but 1 more shot.  If they had taken 2 more shots that record would be his.

I didn't see the entire game but I easily saw him make 4-5 goal robbing saves so it was a well earned SO.  

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think the biggest difference is last year Caufield was on fire on the left side one-timer.  This year, he's cooled off so the team has to look for other options.  For development of the whole team, that's a good thing, especially if Slafkovsky becomes serviceable as a right side one-timer.

... and because Slafkovsky is another good option, Caufield will also get fewer passes and thus fewer one-timer goals. Good for the team, less good for Caufield's personal stats.

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is probably true but Slafkovsky had to earn their confidence first.  He is finally doing that which is great to see. 

Was a bunch of folks promoting Matheson not passing to Slafkovski as a huge issue, which i think was foolishness and overblown internet BS.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

... and because Slafkovsky is another good option, Caufield will also get fewer passes and thus fewer one-timer goals. Good for the team, less good for Caufield's personal stats.

Not necessarily.  This plight of the PP for a few years now is only having a single threat, Weber and now Caufield.  PKs neutralized the PP by dedicating a player to that threat.  With another threat on the other side of the ice the PK can’t dedicate a player to stoping the left circle one-timer.  If they do, they risk being flat footed on the PK, beaten down low or opening the slot.  All of which create more threats, which open up Caufield again.

It’s how all good PPs function.  The more threats on the ice, the more open the biggest threat ultimately becomes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

It’s how all good PPs function.  The more threats on the ice, the more open the biggest threat ultimately becomes.

Not an easy one to figure out.

I remember it was Crosby-Malkin-Letang-Kessel and ? on their PP and it was horrible.

And lots of weapons again this year and Pens PP is 29th.

At least Habs PP is improving overall (i know 22nd isnt great but 'better').

6 hours ago, huzer said:

I only caught the first period. I will say, I wasn't as impressed with the early "miraculous glove save" as most. It was predicated by a really bad rebound on what was a mediocre save on the shot from the face-off dot. He basically cleaned up his own mess. Nice push to get there in time, but in reality, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Of course, Anderson was complete crap on his back check, so Texier shouldn't have even been able to get the shot off, either.

I'm not sure how many were wowed with that glove save.  Despite Mudryk's attempts on the call to make that play seem like the save of the season (as he does several times every game pretty much, sometimes on shots that don't even hit the net), I think most saw it for what it was - a solid glove stop off a bad rebound.