Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I am hoping you right, but I can see a scenerio were they come back and say,we wanted to move player X but just run out of time. God I just hope that management still isn't in playoff mode. I am getting restless. Here we got the best opportunity we have seen an years, I just hope they don't blow it.

Last nights loss should confirm what management was thinking before the Gill trade. We are in sell mode. Last night was pretty much must win if you wanted a chance at a playoff spot.

We're waiting for a great offer on these guys. For Gill we got an offer we couldn't refuse. For some of the others we obviously haven't gotten the same kind of offers yet. Gauthier is waiting for the pressure of the deadline to drive up the price on the guys where he hasn't gotten that knock your socks off offer yet. Also Moen needs to get healthy to get that offer we want for him.

The Gill deal was bigger before it got whittled down to the extra move. That suggests Gauthier is waiting for the 'sock-knocking' offer you've noted. I don't know which other player(s) was/were involved but I suspect a certain #46 was in there.

Habs29 ranted ti perfectly somewhere, as to why we lost last night. We had Weber, Kaberle and Campoli all playing defense so there's no way we could avoid having 2 of them on the ice at the same time.

While we can still make the playoffs, but it's highly unlikely, Gauthier needs to make some moves for the future of the team. We need to acquire some young/mid-aged defensive defensemen. Our team is going to look nearly the same on the back end if we keep Kaberle and pair him with Diaz next year. We need 3 stay at home defensemen and right now we just have Gorges and Emelin. Honestly, I would like to see Diaz continue his growth in Hamilton next year. A strong year in the NHL will have taught him alot and will help push him to the next level in the AHL.. We still need a stay at home defenseman to pair with Kaberle.

That's really interesting and certainly suggests that PG is in full sell mode.

Now if their is a player available who fills a long term need, I don't mind grabbing him (see the Sens and Anderson last year) but all the rentals should be sold off and no rentals acquired.

The other thing I could see us doing is something where we help a team gain cap space. Ie say LA needs some more cap room. We take on Dustin Penner and a good draft pick for a contract spot like Robert Slaney. I know Penner sucks, but the key to the deal is the pick, and Penner is ufa and we let him go in july.

Dustin Penner on the Habs? How could Montreal ever bring in a guy who eats more than Guillaume Latendresse?

Gauthier should consider Penner if it also means an added asset. A move similar to when the Sharks ate up the contract of Vladimir Malakhov a few years ago. In other words make your team better and we'll take the big contract but make ti worthwhile for us.

So in a hypothetical we'll take Penner and your 2nd round pick for a conditional 7th.

• Upvote 1

Gauthier should consider Penner if it also means an added asset.  A move similar to when the Sharks ate up the contract of Vladimir Malakhov a few years ago.  In other words make your team better and we'll take the big contract but make ti worthwhile for us.

So in a hypothetical we'll take Penner and your 2nd round pick for a conditional 7th.

Exactly. Only the Habs are at the 50 contract limit. So the deal would be.We'll take Penner and a 2nd for Robert Slaney or Hunter Bishop or one of our other prospects who is just doing absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 1

Works for me. We have the cash and LTIR cap space...use it to our advantage. If Penner performs here then offer him a 1 year $1.5 million contract next season. Otherwise he walks at the end of the year and we wash our hands.

• Upvote 1

Apparently Bob McKenzie noted that the Habs are not shopping Moen but Kostitsyn could be available.

I heard somewhere too, that the Habs are going to try and resign Moen. I have no problem with that.

Nothing is 100%, but it seems likely from reports. It seems both the PA and the owners want a limited amnesty buyout period, they just need to work out the details. This is an area both groups seem to have some agreement on, so I think it will happen.

I don't really understand why the players would be interested in this? Whats in it for them, besides the potential of 30 of them having reduced contracts?

I don't really understand why the players would be interested in this? Whats in it for them, besides the potential of 30 of them having reduced contracts?

Guys like Redden, Finger, Gomez wont be in the AHL and get the opportunity to stay in the NHL at cheaper contracts.

For the union as a whole, they end up with more money. The amnesty buyouts dont count towards their 55% (or whatever the percentage will be in the new CBA) of hockey revenues. So you clear out some very big contracts to underperforming players thus leaving more money to get spread around to everyone else.

If they can sign him in the next week than fine. I would definitely keep him. You just can't lose Moen for nothing.

PG needs to be working them phones, they should be trying to move atleast 4 guys.

Ouellet is yet another undersized puck moving offensive Dman. I'd ask for one of Detroits forwards instead. Jankrok or Sheahan.

I don't know about those two either, Jarnkrok is smallish but skilled along the line of Plekanac. Ouellet is a late second rounder. A second round pick for Moen seems like pretty good value.

I don't know about those two either, Jarnkrok is smallish but skilled along the line of Plekanac. Ouellet is a late second rounder. A second round pick for Moen seems like pretty good value.

The value with ouellet is definitely there, I don't see an issue with value, especially since Ouellet has been very good this season, he's more than lived up to the selection and has passed some of the people picked ahead of him. Hed probably be a very early 2nd if the draft was redone today. That said, he's yet more of the same in our prospect pool, and I'd rather get the center like sheahan.

Ouellet is yet another undersized puck moving offensive Dman. I'd ask for one of Detroits forwards instead. Jankrok or Sheahan.

Personally I would keep Moen. There are not too many like him available via UFA. Not sure who can replace him at this point. So unless the deal is similar to what Gill got.....i'd keep him.

Personally I would keep Moen. There are not too many like him available via UFA. Not sure who can replace him at this point. So unless the deal is similar to what Gill got.....i'd keep him.

Moen/White/Darche/Blunden even Nokelainen kind of in same category but bring different things. I don't think you need all of them. I like White but maybe he is a guy you think about moving if you are stuck on Moen.

If that is Calle Järnkrok you are talking about it would take alot more than Moen. The guy is rocking in the swedish league this year and could very likely be a future star in the swedish colony of Detroit.

Btw... Järnkrok is swedish for Ironhook. :D