GDT: Game 7, Montreal vs Pittsburgh

dlbalr

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halak has two wins in game 7 in two series, after winning both game 6 at home facing elimination.

I never seen that happen before.

History will be made, well it's in the making.

I want the Bruins, i want revenge of the sweep last year.

I just love the pic of Staal crying like a baby and Crosby head between his legs.

Great days to be a habs fan, a short time off to rest the warriors, heal the wounded and back to war.

Gonchar was horrible indeed. He seem still under the effect of AK's bodycheck. BTW, AK was brilliant on Cammy's goal. Very nice forecheck to win the puck. VERY NICE AK!

Two good games in a row by AK. Who knows! maybe brother Sergei will begin to see the light... Halfway through the objective, we might need some extra help down the road. Sergei is probably beyond salvation, but we never know...

Sorry dude, I disagree. IN 1993, all the good teams were taken out by other teams (Pitts, Boston) the Habs kinda had it easy that year.

This year, we just took out the 2 best teams in the NHL!!!

This feeling is better!

Don't forget that we eliminated the Nordiques in the 1st round.

Well that was an excellent game. They looked like were starting to crumble late in the 2nd but pulled it together and played a strong third. I thought everyone chipped in and did a real good job.

Alot of credit to BG, JM, PG and most of all the new leadership and players. Funny how all these posters all of sudden on right on board with all the moves of the offseason. I remember it being only 3-4 of calling for a major overhaul. I didn't like the JM coaching move but i am happy to eat my words on him.

I'm hoping for the Flyers, the Bruins play a similar style to the habs which generally gives them some trouble.

They will also get a few days rest which will be nice.

1993 was far from easy, they played 11 OT games.

This is a whole different kettle of fish. The only run that resembles this in any form was the 1991 Minnesota Northstars

who took out the 1st overall Blackhawks, the 2nd overall Blues and then the defending champions Oilers before blowing

a 2-1 Stanley Cup Finals lead.

The 1993 Championship wasn't really a shock, the reason it is viewed as a monumental upset is

1. The Penguins were expected to roll to an easy victory and continue their dynasty

(you have to view it in the context of the time, dynasties ruled the day. Canadiens 4 in a row, Islanders 4 in a row, Oilers 5 in 7 years

and the Pens had won 2 straight)

2. The Torontocentric media spun it in a negative tone to essentially undermine what the Canadiens accomplished. The same thing

is going on right now. Halak is doing this all by himself type stories.

Look at 1993 in context. From 1986 - 1992 the Habs won a Stanley Cup, made a trip to the Conference Final, made a trip to the

Stanley Cup Final and lost, won 3 division titles and finished with 87, 92, 103, 115, 93, 89, 93 and 102 pts. Now those point totals

may not seem impressive, but there were no free points awarded for losses.

They finished 6th overall. Would we all react in shock if the Wings, Pens or Devils won the Cup this season? Would it be a miracle run?

Of course not, yet that is how 93 is painted.

This WOULD be a miracle. It is still beyond the rational mind to believe the Habs will win this season,

in 1993 I thought the Habs were going to win the Cup before the playoffs started.

Edited by Wamsley01

Two good games in a row by AK. Who knows! maybe brother Sergei will begin to see the light... Halfway through the objective, we might need some extra help down the road. Sergei is probably beyond salvation, but we never know...

I think Andrei will play better when he doesnt have to chose between supporting his brother or supporting the team decisions and I bet that is just what has made Andrei play bad. Let Sergei go to KHL or wherever he wants to go, I bet he wouldnt take a spot in the KHL with that attitude either. KHL teams doesnt hesitate from fireing players that doesnt provide. Keep Sergei and Andrei far from eachother and I bet Andrei will start playing well again.

I agree but still say its similar to 93 cuz you can just feel that theres something special going on right now with the Habs.

Agreed. There is something special in the air this year! It just feels different from the other seasons!

True, but the real juggernaut that year was the Pens, and they got bounced by the Isles. Also, the Bruins had Patrick Roy's number over the past few seasons previous to 93. Had the Habs taken on the bruins instead of the Sabres in the 1st round, I'm not sure we would have made it!

Geez, I remember '93 as being special only because it had been soooooooo long since the Habs had won a Cup. I think it was also the first time in 21 years that they started the playoffs on the road, rather than at home. But my memory is a little fuzzy, so I could be wrong. I don't recall being surprised, though, that the Habs won that season. Almost seemed to be more relief.

To me this season is nowhere near '93. This season is much more surprising. I mean, the Habs were 19th overall this season in points, new coaching staff, GM leaves during the season, roster is gutted, basically an entirely new "Your Canadiens" are skating around out there. Backed into the playoffs, went down 3-1 to the President's trophy winner, 3-2 to the defending Champs. Heck, in this playoff season, the Habs have nearly already played the amount of games the '93 Habs played in the first 3 rounds!

True, but the real juggernaut that year was the Pens, and they got bounced by the Isles. Also, the Bruins had Patrick Roy's number over the past few seasons previous to 93. Had the Habs taken on the bruins instead of the Sabres in the 1st round, I'm not sure we would have made it!

The Habs played the Nords in the first round. Sabres were the second round fodder. Swept the Sabres with 4 straight 4-3 wins.

The Habs played the Nords in the first round. Sabres were the second round fodder. Swept the Sabres with 4 straight 4-3 wins.

trust me, I know! That's why I said True! The Habs took on a better Nords team, but it wasn't like they were vastly superior to the Habs. The Nords finished the regular season with 104 points, and our Habs had 102 points. Not what i would call a major advantage!

OK, My mistake, I meant to say the Bruins in the 2nd round instead of the Sabres!

Sorry about that!

Edited by Habsfan

Despite the win, sadly I reiterate:

Worst.

Fans.

Ever.

I saw pictures of the looters, and nary a scrap of Habs swag was to be found on them. In big cities, there will always be opportunistic criminals that will take advantage of such situations.

It's too bad, because they really give us Habs' fans a bad reputation.

That's true, after reading a few more things about the "riots", most of the reports even say that "The vandalism occurred after most of the tens of thousands of jubilant hockey fans left the area."

Partake in any of the looting?

no, i was busy with a girl i was with :)

easily 20+ thousand people just on st catherine. more by the bell center. but by midnight, st catherine was re-opened to traffic, and there was like nobody lol. i don't really know where those "riots" and looting happened.

Anyone remember my New Jersey comparison? I recall Wamsley01 challenging my comparison. Well, being an "I told ya so" type of individual I will ask what do you think of it now?

Yours truly,

The Big meanie.

It is no comparison. Jersey stifles offensive flow through the neutral zone and stops teams from creating,

they play a zone trap. The Canadiens just played a lot of man to man coverage and did not trap in the

neutral zone in any way.

It is still the wrong analogy. The Canadiens DO NOT play like the Devils.

It is no comparison. Jersey stifles offensive flow through the neutral zone and stops teams from creating,

they play a zone trap. The Canadiens just played a lot of man to man coverage and did not trap in the

neutral zone in any way.

It is still the wrong analogy. The Canadiens DO NOT play like the Devils.

I 100% agree. They may end up with similar results in the end, but NJ and MTL are night and day, system-wise.

It was UNBELIEVABLE yesterday corner Ste-Catherine/Crescent !!!!! SIICK Montreal is really a good place to be when the Habs are in the playoffs, not saying when they reach conference final !!!

It was UNBELIEVABLE yesterday corner Ste-Catherine/Crescent !!!!! SIICK Montreal is really a good place to be when the Habs are in the playoffs, not saying when they reach conference final !!!

50,000 people partied from 9:30 til about 12:00AM and nobody looted or vandalised any property. Then about 50 bums/gang members/punks showed up and started all the havoc. Luckily the police intervened in time and limited the damage to a couple of stores!

Yeh, me too. I'm not gonna worry about which team, because anything can happen in the playoffs. Both teams have different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm just happy we're moving on. :)

I thought i'd weigh in on this...

I honestly don't know who I'd rather face. Boston looks to have the better defensive corps and they obviously have the better goalie. Their offense is almost non-existant.

Philly on the other hand, if they win the series against Boston, they will be pumped. After coming back from a 0-3 deficit, there's no telling how far that energy will carry them?

That's why I'd have to say that I don't care who we end up playing against. I'm just thankful that philly won game 6 and that our boys get 3 FULL days of rest before the conference finals start!

Edited by Habsfan

You know another great thing here is that Gainey can hold his head high. He can feel like he went out on top. This is the team he built and the coaches he hired. His team made history. Regardless of what happens after this, his team knocked the two most powerhouse teams with the most powerhouse players in the league. Congrats Bob.

You know another great thing here is that Gainey can hold his head high. He can feel like he went out on top. This is the team he built and the coaches he hired. His team made history. Regardless of what happens after this, his team knocked the two most powerhouse teams with the most powerhouse players in the league. Congrats Bob.

You know, with how all his other acquisitions are performing in the playoffs, I have to wonder how much Mara would have added. I am sure BG also saw something more than we all did in him.