Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

I was listening to sports radio this morning, and on came Don Cherry's 'Grapeline' feature, which is 5 minutes of him rambling/reminiscing interspersed with as many commercials as they can get away with (if you haven't heard it).

Don was talking about the '93 playoffs, and saying how the Leafs were screwed by the non-call when Gretzky cut Gilmour (the standard whining from Leafs fans). He then went on to say "the Leafs would've beat the Habs EASILY" if only they had managed to make it to the finals. What's worse - his sidekick Brian Williams actually agreed with him (I used to have respect for him)!

I shouldn't be surprised at anything that buffoon says, but I almost drove off the road when he said it. I still can't decide if it's amusing in a pathetic way that he might actually believe this, or if I'm just disgusted that he would so blatantly encourage and pander to the Leafs fans' delusions about that playoff run. But I'm leaning toward disgusted.

THAT WAS IN GAME 6

THEY STILL LOST GAME 7 @ MLG.

According to the Leafs board on hockey future, those were their lines at practice today

Tlusty - Sundin - Antropov

Blake - Stajan - Tucker

Moore - Wellwood - Pohl

Ondrus - Newbury - Belak

Good lord, that lineup is so horrible. I almost feel bad for Sundin. No wonder they suck so bad.

According to the Leafs board on hockey future, those were their lines at practice today

Tlusty - Sundin - Antropov

Blake - Stajan - Tucker

Moore - Wellwood - Pohl

Ondrus - Newbury - Belak

Good lord, that lineup is so horrible. I almost feel bad for Sundin. No wonder they suck so bad.

They are trying to piss off matts and prove to him how bad this team is so he will waive his NTC.

THAT WAS IN GAME 6

THEY STILL LOST GAME 7 @ MLG.

I know - they always 'forget' to mention that. And even if they won that 6th game, c'mon - Felix Potvin vs. Patrick Roy! :lol: That series is probably a sweep for the Habs.

I guess when that's the closest your team has come in the last 40+ years, it's hard to let it go.

I've actually started to kind of route for the Leafs because they play most of their games against our Eastern Conference rivals. I always cheer for the teams in the West or at the bottom of the East to win their games against the other teams at the top of the East. Of course, it's also nice for their 1st rounder to exit the top 5.

"the Leafs would've beat the Habs EASILY"
Patrick Roy posted a .977 SV% against the Kings

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THROW AT A GOALIE AND I DON'T GIVE A S#/T WHAT CHERRY THINKS. .977 MEANS THAT HE WAS ALLOWING 2.3 GOALS PER 100 SHOTS.

PS. If Don was so bright why doesn't he have a ring and why is he not a coach?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Patrick Roy posted a .977 SV% against the Kings

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THROW AT A GOALIE AND I DON'T GIVE A S#/T WHAT CHERRY THINKS. .977 MEANS THAT HE WAS ALLOWING 2.3 GOALS PER 100 SHOTS.

PS. If Don was so bright why doesn't he have a ring and why is he not a coach?

The Leafs would have played 21 games in something like 42 days just to reach the Finals.

The Leafs went 11-10 when they were eliminated. The Habs went 16-4 to win the Cup.

One team played .800 hockey, the other played barely over .500. Of course the Leafs would have won the Cup.

Idiots.

Edited by Wamsley01

The Leafs would have played 21 games in something like 42 days just to reach the Finals.

The Leafs went 11-10 when they were eliminated. The Habs went 16-4 to win the Cup.

One team played .800 hockey, the other played barely over .500. Of course the Leafs would have won the Cup.

Idiots.

Another stat I did not know thanks Wamsley01

I will add to this. What nuclear bomb destroyed the leefs? GRETZKY did! And, not because of one stupid non call. :lol: Because he got a hat trick in one of the games at MLG and he was deadly against them.

On the Habs side of things; we shut down Gretz-PERIOD!

"We did - you didn't" is how to attack their silly argument. Buzz off dreamers :lol:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I will add to this. What nuclear bomb destroyed the leefs? GRETZKY did! And, not because of one stupid non call. :lol: Because he got a hat trick in one of the games at MLG and he was deadly against them.

On the Habs side of things; we shut down Gretz-PERIOD!

"We did - you didn't" is how to attack their silly argument. Buzz off dreamers :lol:

They cost themselves the Cup by going 7 games against a bad St. Louis team. If they knocked them off in 5 like an elite team would have

they would have had a week to rest up for the Semis. Instead they were running on fumes by the time they hit the Conference Final.

And they ran out of gas against the Kings. The only reason the Habs did not sweep the Kings was they had 5 days off between the Semis and Final.

Every game that went to OT Montreal had outplayed LA.

GAme 2 the Shots were something like 38-18 and the Habs were losing 2-1.

Game 3 the Habs were up 3-0 and blew the lead.

Game 4 the Habs were up 2-0 and blew the lead.

It looked closer than it was. Hrudey played the best hockey of his life. The Habs were getting 6-8 two on ones a game.

There is reality, and then there is a Leaf fans reality.

BTW Leafs are going to beat the Sens.....3 points out with a game in hand. :clap:

Thank you leafs.

Being #1 in the Conference would be very nice, due to the respect and accolades that would come the Habs' way. However, we all agree that making the playoffs is of primary importance. Maybe a lot of you have cashed that in as a given, but I'm not there yet, mainly because of how close the standings remain. It wouldn't take a real long slump (aided, perhaps, by injuries, or flu caught from the Isles) for the Habs to be on the brink once again. One could consider the regular season as a race to the top 8 spots, or you could consider it as a 'race' to lock up the bottom 7 spots by the worst teams. In this sense, it's not a good thing that the Leafs won, as it keeps them close to striking distance - and not a guaranteed lock on one of those 7 spots.

Maybe I'm being unnecessarily nervous, but missing the playoffs last year was painful - especially under those, uh, circumstances (I still can't talk about it :puke: ). The Habs had only one point less (59) at the All Star Break than this year, and still managed to blow it. I'll only start worrying about our seeding among the 8 playoff teams when we have officially qualified for the post season.

And even then, I can't see rooting for the Leafs.

I've actually started to kind of route for the Leafs because they play most of their games against our Eastern Conference rivals. I always cheer for the teams in the West or at the bottom of the East to win their games against the other teams at the top of the East. Of course, it's also nice for their 1st rounder to exit the top 5.

I understand what you saying but I'm not worried aboot the Laffs getting a top 5 pick even when they come in dead last overall. We will have to thank the Senators for that. If it wasnt for the Sens there wouldnt be a draft lottery. Leaf fans think they are going to get the 1st overall pick and they are in for a helluva surprise. I bet the Laffs fall as far as possible from that position. :lol:

Anybody know what is the max a team can go up or down in the draft lottery? Just how high a pick can the Laffs get with a last place finish? :D

Regarding 93 (86 even & possibly 08) the Habs did have a really good team. Its just the majority of them were young and still fairly unknown in the NHL and thats why all the analysts place them way lower than what they are truly at. The Habs were a playoff team last year but unfortunately missed them by just 2 points. Its a shame too because they probably could have done something.

btw I wonder if Cliff is senile enough to take Ryder for Wellwood? :P

Of all the losses, going down to the Maple Laughs hurts the most! :puke:

I think it hurts even worse when Tucker ends up getting 2 goals! I can't stand that guy! I hated him when he was with Mtl and really can't stand him now! - Can someone tell Josh Gorges to tap Tucker's ankle like Bob Clarke did in the 72 series to that Russian player please! :clap:

why should it hurt? Have you looked at the standings lately?

Yeah. It really used to hurt when we were neck and neck with the Leafs for the playoff spot, *or* when the Leafs were a strong club and we sucked, and the losses just compounded the daily humiliation of loving the Habs. The current scenario is a lot closer to how things were in the 70s and 80s - the Leafs get psyched for games against us and maybe beat us, but nothing changes the priordial fact that THEY SUCK ASS AND WE DON'T :lol::lol:

I know this might sound blasphemous, but to be honest, i don't mind losing to the leafs all that much, really (given the current situation)

A loss to the leafs gives them a bit of satisfaction, hope and lifts their spirits and optimism about the season and making the playoffs.

We lift them up a bit, so that when they fail to make the playoffs, it'll be all that more crushing and devastating to them.

If anything, in the long run, this win for them makes it worse for leafs fans :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The way Toronto fans are treating Mats Sundin is yet another reason to hate Leafs fans. Mats bleeds blue and white, he is the face of their franchise. Now here they are blasting him for showing loyalty to his team. I applaud his decision and find his attitude refreshing in this day and age. I would welcome him to my team any day if this ends up being completely driven out of town.

Their misery warms my heart. They stink, and because of the NTCs they've given out, they can't even enter a rebuilding phase....bwaaaahahahahaha!!! I hope they finish just high enough in the standings that they can't draft an immediate impact player.