Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

22 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Which to a certain degree makes it all the more concerning.

Yes and no.  A big indication this was just an off year is his shooting % plummeted from over 12 to just over 6.  Typically, if it were just regression, it would taper off by a percent or 2 a year. 

I'll use a Cheechoo as an example, as he's well know as a guy who went from good to AHL quickly.  He dropped from 17% to 4% over 5 seasons, usually averaging a 20% drop a season.  Anderson just dropped about 50%.  it's far more common for him to rebound from this than to stay at this.  Anything can happen though, as we don't know what the real reason is that caused it.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not as convoluted anymore.  If both Calgary and Florida finish outside the top 10 then we get the better of the two picks (likely Calgary). If Calgary finishes bottom 10 and Florida doesn't then we get the Florida pick. 

I think realistically Calgary is a bubble bottom 10 team next year but they seem to be partly in rebuild mode so they could be near the bottom and then we do get the Florida pick.

I think Calgary probably finishes bottom 10, and Florida finishes at least in the top 5-8.

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Calgary probably finishes bottom 10, and Florida finishes at least in the top 5-8.

I think that's realistic, I will be cheering for Calgary to be mediocre, bad but not too bad. 

I can report from Van that the possibility of Montreal trading down is definitely one of the major talking points around this draft, well outside of Montreal and Calgary. Everyone knows Montreal has young D up the Wazoo and has little use for one more.

One surreal scenario that comes to mind is that the D-man available at #5 might be ranked even more highly than Reinbacher by the Habs’ braintrust. In which case, could they draft that guy and then look to move Reinbacher? 🤯 (Not a serious proposal, just a bizarre theoretical possibility)

Wheeler of The Athletic has i think 5 d-men higher ranked than Reinbacher this year.

But, seems slim chance Habs will take a d-man.

Not sure any top 5 draft pick has ever been moved just 1 year later, before even dressing 1 game in the NHL.

Trade back if need be and take a forward. 

I suppose could pick a RH d-man (Artyom Levshunov or Zayne Parekh) and trade Mailloux with Jet pick for a forward perhaps?

But, just cant see Reinbacher being dealt.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can report from Van that the possibility of Montreal trading down is definitely one of the major talking points around this draft, well outside of Montreal and Calgary. Everyone knows Montreal has young D up the Wazoo and has little use for one more.

One surreal scenario that comes to mind is that the D-man available at #5 might be ranked even more highly than Reinbacher by the Habs’ braintrust. In which case, could they draft that guy and then look to move Reinbacher? 🤯 (Not a serious proposal, just a bizarre theoretical possibility)

More likely, I-M-O, ***if*** they were to go RHD at #5 is that Mailloux gets traded and Reinbacher and ????? become their Top 4 RHD coming out of the rebuild ... it is the age-old story of GMs having more invested in their own draft picks ... even though Reinbacher might have more value.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

I suppose could pick a RH d-man (Artyom Levshunov or Zayne Parekh) and trade Mailloux with Jet pick for a forward perhaps?

Ignoring the question of whether Levshunov and Parekh are better than Reinbacher ... (effectively) trading Reinbacher for one of those two would heavily skew our D corps to offensive D-men. Offensive D-men do come with their own liabilities (see Matheson, Mike for an example) and not having a steadying partner increases that downside.

Trading Mailloux-plus does not present a similar issue as he, too, is of the offensive variety.

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ignoring the question of whether Levshunov and Parekh are better than Reinbacher ... (effectively) trading Reinbacher for one of those two would heavily skew our D corps to offensive D-men. Offensive D-men do come with their own liabilities (see Matheson, Mike for an example) and not having a steadying partner increases that downside.

Trading Mailloux-plus does not present a similar issue as he, too, is of the offensive variety.

I think Mailloux will be traded at some point. I think this management group is too afraid of the prospect of having Mailloux become successful in Montreal. I cannot see them having a poster with Caufield Suzuki and Mailloux celebrating a goal, and the media will be looking for the first opportunity to bring up Mailloux's past to get clicks or get viewers.

But the return has to be high and help bring back a scoring D (like you mention) or potential top-6 forward

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think Mailloux will be traded at some point. I think this management group is too afraid of the prospect of having Mailloux become successful in Montreal. I cannot see them having a poster with Caufield Suzuki and Mailloux celebrating a goal, and the media will be looking for the first opportunity to bring up Mailloux's past to get clicks or get viewers.

But the return has to be high and help bring back a scoring D (like you mention) or potential top-6 forward

What gives you the impression that this management is afraid of Mailloux. 

Was it that they called him up to play the final game this season, and got almost no media backlash for doing so?

Where does this narrative that HuGo is afraid of how the media will react and trade him?  Is this again just making things up out of whole cloth to take shots at management?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I see many proposals about Calgary moving up to #5 to draft Iginla. 

The general consensus being trading Calgary’s #9 pick plus Vancouver’s first rounder (maybe pick #32 🥳). 

Im not sure that is enough. 

Agreed ... maybe throw in a lesser young D and also get Calgary to remove all conditions from the 2025 Calgary/Florida first rounder?

I have no interest in trading down.  I'm more about trading up. 

For most teams i'd say trade down but not the Habs.  We have lots of good prospects but lack a top end forward prospect.  We don't need to trade down for more good prospects, we need to find a great one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I have no interest in trading down.  I'm more about trading up.  

But, Hughes need a partner and a deal they just cant refuse, to get it done.

And it just dosent happen in the top 5.

Habs got lots of good stuff they could use for trade, but is someone (Demidov or Lindstrom i assume you are thinking of?) at 2 or 3 even gonna be 'that' much better than the 5th pick?

25 minutes ago, DON said:

But, Hughes need a partner and a deal they just cant refuse, to get it done.

And it just dosent happen in the top 5.

Habs got lots of good stuff they could use for trade, but is someone (Demidov or Lindstrom i assume you are thinking of?) at 2 or 3 even gonna be 'that' much better than the 5th pick?

If you can't find a trade up partner, then trade the fifth pick for a young gamebreaking forward.  If you still can't find a trade partner, make the pick and take the best forward on your board (unless a defenceman is SOOOO much higher that it makes no sense to pass him up.  If the two players are close, take the forward).  We need elite talent, not more picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

What gives you the impression that this management is afraid of Mailloux. 

Was it that they called him up to play the final game this season, and got almost no media backlash for doing so?

Where does this narrative that HuGo is afraid of how the media will react and trade him?  Is this again just making things up out of whole cloth to take shots at management?

I don't think management is afraid of Mailloux but I do think in the back of Hughes's mind he realizes that Mailloux might be better off in an environment where there will be less scrutiny and I think Hughes is the kind of person who looks out for his players and will do the right thing for them.  So if the right deal came up I think he would trade him but it would have to be the right deal for the Habs organization as well. 

I still think there is deal possible with Anaheim as I do see some complimentary pieces. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think management is afraid of Mailloux but I do think in the back of Hughes's mind he realizes that Mailloux might be better off in an environment where there will be less scrutiny and I think Hughes is the kind of person who looks out for his players and will do the right thing for them.  So if the right deal came up I think he would trade him but it would have to be the right deal for the Habs organization as well. 

I still think there is deal possible with Anaheim as I do see some complimentary pieces. 

French media.

I was reading earlier this week how Mailloux's name was taken down before a tour of the Bell Center (?) for an event. The thread was about the Hab's PR/Media not wanting that name to be visible.

I didn't post it here, because I thought it was click-bait, but looking at the other discussions on the Hab's future-D on RDS, TVA, and radio (French media) it seems like Mailloux will always carry that baggage in Montreal. He is like a fly in the soup.

I am sure that he's potential i sseen as high by other organizations. I just hope that HughGort gets full value in a trade involving the kid.

We just have these narratives that people put as Facts, with no evidence.  Sometimes its Hughes and Gorton only draft big players.  Now its Hughes and Gorton don't like Mailloux and want to trade him. 

There is no evidence of this.... lets stop pretending its a fact. 

Could they trade Mailloux?  Could they draft a player with size?  Of course.  But even if they do that, it means they think the trade was best for the team, or the player draffted was best on their board.  

Until proven otherwise let's assume that management is making their moves cause they are trying to improve the hockey team, not cause they have some other narrative in mind. 

If you ask me, everyone has basically moved beyond Mailloux’s crime. He put in the work to rehabilitate himself as a human being and a hockey player, and - more importantly - we now know that his was in no way an isolated case. Rather it was one instance of an endemic culture of misogyny, up to and including sexual assault, in junior hockey and probably the pros as well. 

Surely, if the goal was to unload him because of his off-ice issue, that would have happened long before now?

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you ask me, everyone has basically moved beyond Mailloux’s crime. He put in the work to rehabilitate himself as a human being and a hockey player, and - more importantly - we now know that his was in no way an isolated case. Rather it was one instance of an endemic culture of misogyny, up to and including sexual assault, in junior hockey and probably the pros as well. 

Surely, if the goal was to unload him because of his off-ice issue, that would have happened long before now?

I would love to believe everyone has moved beyond the Mailloux case, some likely won't, some will likely still want to remind him. I wish that weren't true but that's life. I am just saying he is less likely to be reminded in a place like Anaheim. That's all I am saying. I am cheering for him. I hope he becomes a fixture on the Habs blueline. 

I don't think the goal is to trade him. If you wanted to trade him you are better off letting him develop further to increase his trade value.  I think you can safely say that after his year in Laval that his trade value is higher than a year ago should they want to trade him. 

My feeling is that if we trade Mailloux, his value to a new team will be reduced since the team taking him will be asked a lot off questions.  Montreal has already had to deal with this, when we drafted him.  Trading him now means we paid a price without gaining anything.

We might trade him if he is part of some irresistible deal.  However, I think he has significantly more value to us than any other team due to his history.

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

My feeling is that if we trade Mailloux, his value to a new team will be reduced since the team taking him will be asked a lot off questions.  Montreal has already had to deal with this, when we drafted him.  Trading him now means we paid a price without gaining anything.

We might trade him if he is part of some irresistible deal.  However, I think he has significantly more value to us than any other team due to his history.

Depending on the destination, their local media may not be so laser focused on "investigative journalism" for hockey.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Where do you come up with this nonsense?? Still don’t get your hate for the mgmt group. They actually have plan, unlike their predecessor whose plan was hope that Carey Price is healthy enough to get them into the playoffs and than anything can happen. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Where do you come up with this nonsense?? Still don’t get your hate for the mgmt group. They actually have plan, unlike their predecessor whose plan was hope that Carey Price is healthy enough to get them into the playoffs and than anything can happen. 

good question

from watching the NHL games, some AHL games and reading and listening as many news on the Habs as I can.

and I do not hate this management team, I did not say anything negative about them when talking about Mailloux. I just said that I see him as the one being traded instead of Reinbacher like someone else was posting because I do not believe the organization is convinced they should keep him due to his past history.

Edited by alfredoh2009

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

good question

from watching the NHL games, some AHL games and reading and listening as many news on the Habs as I can.

and I do not hate this management team, I did not say anything negative about them when talking about Mailloux. I just said that I see him as the one being traded instead of Reinbacher like someone else was posting because I do not believe the organization is convinced they should keep him due to his past history.

There is a big difference in saying that Mailloux is more likely to get traded than Reinbacher and saying “this management group is afraid of him succeeding.” You’re basically saying they want Mailloux to fail - which also means that even if they are more inclined to trade him, they would get a lower value for him. I can even buy into the arguement that they aren’t sure he is mentally strong enough for the market, given his history and the media pressure in Montreal. But today they are afraid of him succeeding???? That’s just bunk!

I think it’s lite likely we move a LD than a RD, unless it’s to fill the big hole in our top 6 - we are desperately in need of a goal scorer.

frankly, as I’ve said many times over the past year, my preference would have have been to take Leonard or Michkov last year in a forward heavy draft, while this draft. I think the quality of D available is much higher this year. But at least I can buy into their plan and understand the reasoning - unlike the previous guy, who said Sergechev was the future D man, and than traded him for a basket case winger, while also letting Markov go because he didn’t want to give him a 2 yr deal: only to sign  a useless Alzner for 3 or 4 years!

• Like 1

I think Mailloux was saved abit by the bigger scandal from 2018 hockey canada being revealed. Media forgot about him because the other story was so much bigger.

• Like 1