Jump to content

Round 2, Game 4 Jets vs Habs 8:00PM ET


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Analytically they didnt look that good.  Edmonton was the better team in all 4 games.  Hellbuyck was better than Mike Smith.  When they faced the Habs, they couldnt get by with just goaltending cause the Habs goalie is just as good.  

 

Winnipegs D is weak and it was exposed now.

 

I watched all 4 games and I thought it was a very close series that could have gone either way. I wouldn't say the Oilers were better in all 4 games. That's not how I saw it.  Winnipeg generated a lot of scoring chances. Winnipeg just didn't seem to play with the same intensity against Montreal, it was like they were satisfied with beating Edmonton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

Last I checked, Canada was still under 8% vaccinated, so it doesn't seem like it is readily available. I'll admit, I haven't heard anything about Quebec specifically, and it is always a bit different from the rest of the country.

 

But yeah, getting it done now while there are no games to be played is the idea I was going for.

 

Canada is at over 50% first dose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

Last I checked, Canada was still under 8% vaccinated, so it doesn't seem like it is readily available. I'll admit, I haven't heard anything about Quebec specifically, and it is always a bit different from the rest of the country.

 

But yeah, getting it done now while there are no games to be played is the idea I was going for.

65.69% of the total Quebec population has at least one dose (for comparison, US is at 51.22%) and all ages are eligible. Full vaccinations are much lower as we have prioritized first doses but second doses are also now readily available for people whose first dose was 8 or 12 weeks ago or more (depends on the vaccine type).

 

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=QC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

Canada is at over 50% first dose.

 

Oh wow. So they've rolled out over 20 million first doses in the last three weeks? Or is the 8% fully vaccinated number way out of date? 

 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

65.69% of the total Quebec population has at least one dose (for comparison, US is at 51.22%) and all ages are eligible. Full vaccinations are much lower as we have prioritized first doses but second doses are also now readily available for people whose first dose was 8 or 12 weeks ago or more (depends on the vaccine type).

 

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=QC

 

Nevermind, I see this followup now. So they went more the UK route of not doing both doses at the suggested time. I was wondering how a country like Canada could have fallen so far behind. Didn't think to look at only 1st dose numbers.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

Oh wow. So they've rolled out over 20 million first doses in the last three weeks? Or is the 8% fully vaccinated number way out of date? 

 

 

Nevermind, I see this followup now. So they went more the UK route of not doing both doses at the suggested time. I was wondering how a country like Canada could have fallen so far behind. Didn't think to look at only 1st dose numbers.

 

 

 

They did fall behind originally.  Even first dose.  It really only stepped up in May. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

 

Oh wow. So they've rolled out over 20 million first doses in the last three weeks? Or is the 8% fully vaccinated number way out of date? 

 

 

Nevermind, I see this followup now. So they went more the UK route of not doing both doses at the suggested time. I was wondering how a country like Canada could have fallen so far behind. Didn't think to look at only 1st dose numbers.

 

 

 

 

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

They did fall behind originally.  Even first dose.  It really only stepped up in May. 


It’s still a disorganized mess at least in my region and the AstraZeneca thing is a joke. Damn things have expired, wait, can’t we just put a new expiry date on them? Brilliant idea

 

Vaccine rollout is probably a new episode of Trailer Park Boys filmed live

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 


It’s still a disorganized mess at least in my region and the AstraZeneca thing is a joke. Damn things have expired, wait, can’t we just put a new expiry date on them? Brilliant idea

 

Vaccine rollout is probably a new episode of Trailer Park Boys filmed live

Ya its been pretty entertaining. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s still a disorganized mess at least in my region and the AstraZeneca thing is a joke.

Waterloo Region is behind the rest of Ontario (and Canada) because the provincial government prioritized vaccinations at hotspots, so the vaccine availability was constrained for almost all of May. First-dose percentage is still not terrible at 54.21% of population.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think here in Alberta as of yesterday the first dose was at just under 68%, but it sounds like it's dropping off fast now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think here in Alberta as of yesterday the first dose was at just under 68%, but it sounds like it's dropping off fast now.

It looks all right still. Over the last five days you're averaging 0.41% (of total population) first doses and 0.65% second doses per day, or almost 3% and 4.5% per week. There may be some hesitancy but I don't think AB has hit that in a big way yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It looks all right still. Over the last five days you're averaging 0.41% (of total population) first doses and 0.65% second doses per day, or almost 3% and 4.5% per week. There may be some hesitancy but I don't think AB has hit that in a big way yet.

We were at 60% with first dose 2 weeks ago.  We've only managed 8% increase in 2 weeks when the expectation was we were going to being well in the 70's by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some quick research into this streak without trailing in the playoffs.  Out of the top-10 teams on that list all other 9 teams made it to the finals, this year's Habs are on the list but their story is yet to be written.  Out of the 9 other teams, 6 have won the cup, 3 lost in the finals and every Canadiens team on that list won.  The 1969 Blues are on the list to, who lost to the Canadiens that year in the finals.

 

Since 1990, 3 of the 4 teams on that list has taken home the cup.

 

Is it too much to really be excited about this team?  They seem to have everything going to make a legitimate cup run.  Goaltending, defense, all 4 lines clicking.  Especially all for line clicking.  The most important pieces in a cup winning team are typically goaltending and bottom-6 production.  Watching the Vegas/Colorado game now and I don't see anything there they can't handle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It looks all right still. Over the last five days you're averaging 0.41% (of total population) first doses and 0.65% second doses per day, or almost 3% and 4.5% per week. There may be some hesitancy but I don't think AB has hit that in a big way yet.

No we just have the idiots organizing non-mask wearing rodeos during lockdowns, and a government that is basing the phasing of it’s really-opening plan on the start dates for the Stampede.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I did some quick research into this streak without trailing in the playoffs.  Out of the top-10 teams on that list all other 9 teams made it to the finals, this year's Habs are on the list but their story is yet to be written.  Out of the 9 other teams, 6 have won the cup, 3 lost in the finals and every Canadiens team on that list won.  The 1969 Blues are on the list to, who lost to the Canadiens that year in the finals.

 

Since 1990, 3 of the 4 teams on that list has taken home the cup.

 

Is it too much to really be excited about this team?  They seem to have everything going to make a legitimate cup run.  Goaltending, defense, all 4 lines clicking.  Especially all for line clicking.  The most important pieces in a cup winning team are typically goaltending and bottom-6 production.  Watching the Vegas/Colorado game now and I don't see anything there they can't handle.

Next two rounds will definitely be the toughest opponents and much more complete teams. Next round will be tough - I think vegas is a bit stronger because of the depth. The following round of I’ll be tough if it’s Tampa.

 

in 93’ the Avs were basically a an even less experienced version of the the leafs. Great offense. So-so defence and pretty average goaltending. Islanders did is a favour knocking of the penguins, and than Dale Hunter who used to burn us in Quebec knocked out Turgeon.  We also didn’t have to play Gilmour who al days seemed to be a habs killer. Than of course we benefited from McSorley’s stupidity and Demer’a gutsy stick measurement.

 

Despite the luck and break, we were a much better team than people gave us credit for. It was a wierd year, we had I think two 90 point guys, three 80 point guys, a forty goal scorer and three 30 goal scorers.  On top of that we had Leclair and Desjardins breakout in the playoffs, while having depth guys step up.  Despite that, we finished third in our division and  6th in the league. So this years team is nowhere near as strong as the 93’ team, but so far are getting the same types of breaks. Let’s hope it holds up!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Next two rounds will definitely be the toughest opponents and much more complete teams. Next round will be tough - I think vegas is a bit stronger because of the depth. The following round of I’ll be tough if it’s Tampa.

 

in 93’ the Avs were basically a an even less experienced version of the the leafs. Great offense. So-so defence and pretty average goaltending. Islanders did is a favour knocking of the penguins, and than Dale Hunter who used to burn us in Quebec knocked out Turgeon.  We also didn’t have to play Gilmour who al days seemed to be a habs killer. Than of course we benefited from McSorley’s stupidity and Demer’a gutsy stick measurement.

 

Despite the luck and break, we were a much better team than people gave us credit for. It was a wierd year, we had I think two 90 point guys, three 80 point guys, a forty goal scorer and three 30 goal scorers.  On top of that we had Leclair and Desjardins breakout in the playoffs, while having depth guys step up.  Despite that, we finished third in our division and  6th in the league. So this years team is nowhere near as strong as the 93’ team, but so far are getting the same types of breaks. Let’s hope it holds up!!

 

I agree with all of this. 

 

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that going into the season, many of us, along with many commentators, thought the Habs had the potential to be really good. Maybe even contenders. It took a season of erratic floundering to beat that narrative out of us. But maybe - just maybe - we’re seeing that same group finally come together and play up to its potential on paper. I mean, did you see those numbers on Habs domination of the Jets 5-on-5? 

 

This team also has its own Leclair/Desjardins analogues in KK and CC: players who were nothing special, or not even on the roster, during the regular season, but who emerge as impact guys in the dance. That upsets the apple-cart of expectations.

 

I still think the rational money has to be on COL/LAV to take the Semi-Finals. But if those teams are smart, they will look at those huge, rested hulks on the back end, Price, and our ability to suffocate teams, and be quite concerned.

 

One thing that does worry me is the thin air in Colorado. Our geezers are not conditioned to that. It could represent an X-factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... One thing that does worry me is the thin air in Colorado. Our geezers are not conditioned to that. It could represent an X-factor.

It is a factor oft overlooked with teams travelling to Denver ... hopefully the Habs are planning to fly to Denver the morning after the VGK-Avs series is finished, to give as much time as possible for the players to acclimate as mush as possible ... are they allowed to keep oxygen on the bench?

 

A hidden concern with Vegas is the temptation provided by fully open restaurants, casinos, clubs, etc. after players having to live for sooooo long under wraps ... ironically the same "advantage" that Montreal used to have over visiting teams (ask the '77 Edmonton Football team).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One thing that does worry me is the thin air in Colorado. Our geezers are not conditioned to that. It could represent an X-factor.

That's why I think the Habs have a better chance against the Golden Knight!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 


It’s still a disorganized mess at least in my region and the AstraZeneca thing is a joke. Damn things have expired, wait, can’t we just put a new expiry date on them? Brilliant idea

 

Vaccine rollout is probably a new episode of Trailer Park Boys filmed live

Not really.. only the US and the UK were ahead of us early and they have domestic supply and wouldn’t allow exports of vaccine, so Canada is more like the rest of Europe and we have been ahead of them since close to the start. Israel had a special deal ( four tImes the price and handed over medical data for studies) which wasn’t available to Canada.

 

it was a bit rich seeing CNN call out Canada for being behind the US while the US was hoarding the supply… meanwhile, we passed them in percentage with at least one dose and soon enough will pass them entirely, given the rampant vaccine hesitancy in the US…

 

I just hope Quebec can find a way to get more home fans in the arena for the coming rounds..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It is a factor oft overlooked with teams travelling to Denver ... hopefully the Habs are planning to fly to Denver the morning after the VGK-Avs series is finished, to give as much time as possible for the players to acclimate as mush as possible ... are they allowed to keep oxygen on the bench?

 

A hidden concern with Vegas is the temptation provided by fully open restaurants, casinos, clubs, etc. after players having to live for sooooo long under wraps ... ironically the same "advantage" that Montreal used to have over visiting teams (ask the '77 Edmonton Football team).

Nevermind 77 Edmonton football team, jusk ask Alex Ochehkin. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

Last I checked, Canada was still under 8% vaccinated, so it doesn't seem like it is readily available. I'll admit, I haven't heard anything about Quebec specifically, and it is always a bit different from the rest of the country.

 

But yeah, getting it done now while there are no games to be played is the idea I was going for.

 

The Habs had their second doses yesterday.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...