2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ok, the risk should be you get an opponent who is fired up and beats you the next game.

The risk shouldn't be that you get crisschecked in the head, or you get attacked, or you have to fight cause you scored a goal.

Agree.

If some guy violates The Code in a way that is completely harmless - we're not talking about a slew foot here - I think you yap at them on the ice, maybe dish out some (legal) hits, call them out on it in the media, and use it as motivation. (I could also handle seeing a Code-breaker challenged to a fight, admittedly). 

Remember when Chara almost permanently cripped Pacioretty by driving his face into a stanchion? That was in response to Patches having the temerity to give him a shove after the Habs scored against Boston in a previous game. Patches violated The Code, so he deserved to be permanently handicapped. Or at least, that was the judgement of the Bruins and their cheerleaders in the NHL head office.

The Code can be enforced by condemnation and using breaches of it as rivalry fuel. Nobody needs to spit chicklets over it.

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now you are changing the subject. Reilly's cross check to the head was going overboard so he will get suspended as he should. 

Fighting in the NHL is substantially down from where it was 10,20 or 30 years ago. 

I was talking about the “code” which Reilly used as the reason for the cross check. 

I think the code is the overall problem. 

It will be interesting what the suspension actually is and if it gets appealed. I’m curious how Bettman would handle it. 

Ultimately the goal was a legal play. The cross check was not legal. I have zero problem with how the puck entered the net. Quite honestly, I did not know that there was a "code" on how a goal is supposed be scored. To feel disrespected about how someone buried an empty netter is laughable. 

There is no winner in this argument, though. Defending the Sens or defending the Leafs feels a bit dirty.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That may be true but the Grieg play deserved some sort of reaction (not a cross check to the face).  He was saying FU to the Leafs in their own building knowing they didn't have to play them again this year. 

Actually the game was in Ottawa and the fact that 2/3 of the the crowd were Leaf fans was part of the reason he used a slapshot.   

I see nothing wrong with the slapshot.  It's legal, it's not dangerous and if Reilly didn't like it he could just start throwing punches.

11 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Actually the game was in Ottawa and the fact that 2/3 of the the crowd were Leaf fans was part of the reason he used a slapshot.   

I see nothing wrong with the slapshot.  It's legal, it's not dangerous and if Reilly didn't like it he could just start throwing punches.

You are correct, I thought the game was in Toronto. Perhaps being tired of so many Leaf fans in your own building was a motivation. Good point. 

Reilly would have been far better off dropping the gloves and challenging Greig to a fight. 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Reilly would have been far better off dropping the gloves and challenging Greig to a fight. 

On that I agree.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

unnecessary hot dogging to embarrass the Leafs.

I approve, LOVE IT, hope for more of it!:nuts:

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess we will have to disagree on this. Winding up for a slapshot was totally unnecessary and disrespectful, kind of like running up the score. It's like sending out your best power play unit in the last minute of the game with a big lead. 

And Matthews scoring and waving his hands to fall fans is not disrespectful? I don’t have an issue with either, but this code stuff is bullshit! Would also have been disrespectful if he skated to the goal and let as much time pass as possible until the dman came over and than tapped it in? If Reilly has an issue, don’t be soft and let them score!

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think you can compare the two. Bautista's bat flip was a bit of a hot dog move but it was also after hitting a home run in a playoff game compared to an almost nothing regular season hockey game where the outcome had already been decided and the intent of Greig's move was just to rub it in.  

Both are against the "code" in their respective sports.

The code is stupid in both sports.

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes even pros have off nights and rubbing salt in the wound doesn't accomplish anything, only fires up the opponent for the next game. 

That’s fine. But it doesn’t mean you cross check in the face for doing it. Have an issue, next year try and beat them 10-0.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

You are 100 correct that NOTHING justifies a cross-check to the face ... but I could have understood Reilly simply checking Grieg or challenging him to a fight ... the "fake slap shot" was unnecessary hot dogging to embarrass the Leafs.

Why should he have to fight for that???

44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And Matthews scoring and waving his hands to fall fans is not disrespectful? I don’t have an issue with either, but this code stuff is bullshit! Would also have been disrespectful if he skated to the goal and let as much time pass as possible until the dman came over and than tapped it in? If Reilly has an issue, don’t be soft and let them score!

There is also a double standard within the Code, whereby players who are designated as Good Guys are allowed breaches with no criticism or consequence. E.g., Marchand gave the entire Vancouver building the "F U" sign when he scored to add to the Bruins' leader in Game 7 in 2011.  No condemnation, no righteous denunciations on HNIC, nothing. Tiger Williams used to ride his stick after a goal in a total showboating, "disrespectful" move. He was celebrated for this by Mr Code himself, Don Cherry - because he was a Good Guy, nice and tough, etc.. 

On the other hand, PK Subban is mouthy and low-fives Carey Price? Well Jesus, was a punk, something should "happen to him" (Michael Richards). 🙄

So not only is The Code stupid. It's arbitrarily enforced.

The whole situation highlights Toronto's problems.  They brought in Reaves, Domi and Bertuzzi to fix their toughness issues.  This situation happens and instead of the mentality of "we will make them pay for that," they resort to a cheapshot.  Now instead of the next game, or the end of that game, this gets repayed, it's Ottawa coming out with the motivation for the cheapshot.  Shot themselves in the foot being soft.

I-M-O the reason Reilly only got 5 games is not as some (not here) are claiming because of pressure from Laffs owners (TSN/Sportsnet) or TO fans & media but rather that at 6 or more Reilly has the right to appeal to an INDEPENDENT arbitrator ... the NHL do not want PR messes handled outside the NHL bubble if at all avoidable.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I-M-O the reason Reilly only got 5 games is not as some (not here) are claiming because of pressure from Laffs owners (TSN/Sportsnet) or TO fans & media but rather that at 6 or more Reilly has the right to appeal to an INDEPENDENT arbitrator ... the NHL do not want PR messes handled outside the NHL bubble if at all avoidable.

I believe this to be true as well. I do wonder if he appeals to Bettman? I don’t think Bettman changes anything anyway 

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That’s a good point.

Likely true, interesting he got same number of games as Gally, difference is we weren’t in here wining about how we are victims, etc.

Cant stand watching or reading any broadcasts/publications these days with morons going on about how it was nothing and was warranted, etc.

Cannot believe producers are allowing these idiots to spew off like this, the TO market must be that lucrative.

21 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Cannot believe producers are allowing these idiots to spew off like this, the TO market must be that lucrative.

I expect at least 75% of the TSN/Sportsnet bids for national rights relate to what they think the make off TO fans.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I believe this to be true as well. I do wonder if he appeals to Bettman? I don’t think Bettman changes anything anyway 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't.  The NHLPA has been more aggressively lately in their appeals (three already this year) so why wouldn't they try it here?

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't.  The NHLPA has been more aggressively lately in their appeals (three already this year) so why wouldn't they try it here?

It looks like an appeal has been made. 

I expect Bettman to uphold the suspension but who knows 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It looks like an appeal has been made. 

I expect Bettman to uphold the suspension but who knows 

Unless the Department of Aggressor ... err ... Player Protection's desire was for 3-4 games but went 5 so Bettman could "give" the NHLPA a win by dropping it to 4 ... yes, I believe in conspiracies ... Biden was the shooter from the grassy knoll 😉

sharing this, because I find this recap a great way to see how team did based on expectations.