2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

I’ll skip the article, most of us agree that Guhle was the most consistent defenseman all season even if he had a dip in the last quarter of the season. 

isn’t there some editorial review before posting ?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I’ll skip the article, most of us agree that Guhle was the most consistent defenseman all season even if he had a dip in the last quarter of the season. 

I don't think I would say he was the most consistent defensemen, he certainly had ups and downs like any young defensemen. His ceiling is high, he has good tools and mobility but he has a ways to go. He needs to get stronger, maybe spend some time with Arber in the weight room. 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Depends on what system one uses ... if you take account of "where he is in his career" he could play better in future years but get a lower score ... if you dispassionately score him just on his play this season, regardless of experience then it may be fair ... I-M-O very few players ever deserve an 8, let alone 9 or 10.

It is 2023-24 season grades. Based on 2023-24 season play.

55 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

maybe spend some time with Arber in the weight room. 

Maybe, but Guhle will be in the Habs weight room and Xhekaj will be in the Ducks weight room come end of June.:devil:

9 minutes ago, DON said:

It is 2023-24 season grades. Based on 2023-24 season play.

But there are MULTIPLE ways for someone to rate how they played.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But there are MULTIPLE ways for someone to rate how they played.

Dont care.

Struble and other-d did not play as well as Guhle, period, aside from Matheson.

Just my opinion, no insult to the author, thats all.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect another factor --- EXPECTATIONS --- played a factor ... which screws up any ratings even more than "where he is in his career".

Frankly, I think he is ahead of schedule - he also played a big part of the year on the right side out of necessity, and would argue he was still better than Savard.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dont care.

I never said I agreed with the ratings ... just that the basis for the ratings can vary.

EDIT: Forgot the worst factor ... simple clickbait to get attention.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dont care.

100% agree

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Frankly, I think he is ahead of schedule - he also played a big part of the year on the right side out of necessity, and would argue he was still better than Savard.

yes , absolutely 

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There is.  But I'm not going to override a grade in that review process if I think it's too high or too low; I'm going to respect what the writer assigns as he's the one putting the piece together.

• Upvote 2

Complete garbage article.

The “writer” admits he dislikes players, shows disdain for them. There is no room for bias in writing a published piece, as opposed to ranting on a forum. Foolish grades aside the piss poor article is also too late to be relevant or care about. We are almost mid way through the playoffs, Habs have been done for weeks.

With this much time having passed  since season ended you’d think there would be a lot more insight.

That and the increased amount of adverts and the placement of the adverts has me disliking the site atm.

33 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Complete garbage article.

The “writer” admits he dislikes players, shows disdain for them. There is no room for bias in writing a published piece, as opposed to ranting on a forum. Foolish grades aside the piss poor article is also too late to be relevant or care about. We are almost mid way through the playoffs, Habs have been done for weeks.

With this much time having passed  since season ended you’d think there would be a lot more insight.

That and the increased amount of adverts and the placement of the adverts has me disliking the site atm.

Complete garbage post.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There is.  But I'm not going to override a grade in that review process if I think it's too high or too low; I'm going to respect what the writer assigns as he's the one putting the piece together.

ok, thanks for clarifying 

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

And I'm sure any new writers would be welcomed with open arms, to write commentary or opinion pieces of their own.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And I'm sure any new writers would be welcomed with open arms, to write commentary or opinion pieces of their own.

Writing is hard. I do not want to criticize the writer of this article, I have not read it. 

Anyone writing on a web platform opens himself to criticism and backslash as soon as the piece is published. I suffer enough from my posts here, I would not open myself to more negativity if I wrote a piece.

Let’s hope we do not discourage those who try their best.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Writing is hard. I do not want to criticize the writer of this article, I have not read it. 

Anyone writing on a web platform opens himself to criticism and backslash as soon as the piece is published. I suffer enough from my posts here, I would not open myself to more negativity if I wrote a piece.

Let’s hope we do not discourage those who try their best.

I don’t care if folks on here flame something written on another site. Especially if it’s a professional site where some clown is getting paid.

But folks who volunteer their time to contribute to Habsworld? These are OUR people. They’re trying to contribute to our community. If we think they’re wrong or off-base, of course we should say so. Anyone posting in the forums or on the main page should be prepared for disagreement. But they shouldn’t be insulted or attacked. That’s extremely uncool in my book.

• Upvote 1

This isn't the first time that the "realist" has insulted and gone after writers at habsworld. 

Seriously... #### that poster.....

• Upvote 1

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with an article no matter who writes it, differences of opinion are what make this forum fun. Certainly posters here disagree with me sometimes and it helps keep me sharp. BUT there is a way to disagree without demeaning someone. Some people haven't figured that part out yet. 

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I agree

Editing obviously helps make articles better, but one never wants the editor to substitute his/her opinion over the opinion of the writer. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with an article no matter who writes it, differences of opinion are what make this forum fun. Certainly posters here disagree with me sometimes and it helps keep me sharp. BUT there is a way to disagree without demeaning someone. Some people haven't figured that part out yet. 

yeah, I agree

Maxim Tsyplakov not a Hab

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t care if folks on here flame something written on another site. Especially if it’s a professional site where some clown is getting paid.

But folks who volunteer their time to contribute to Habsworld? These are OUR people. They’re trying to contribute to our community. If we think they’re wrong or off-base, of course we should say so. Anyone posting in the forums or on the main page should be prepared for disagreement. But they shouldn’t be insulted or attacked. That’s extremely uncool in my book.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

This isn't the first time that the "realist" has insulted and gone after writers at habsworld. 

Seriously... #### that poster.....

Yep.  Enough of him.   He's now on my ignore list.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They certainly would be.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:37 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think I would say he was the most consistent defensemen, he certainly had ups and downs like any young defensemen. His ceiling is high, he has good tools and mobility but he has a ways to go. He needs to get stronger, maybe spend some time with Arber in the weight room. 

I agree with you on that.  Guhle seems to have a high ceiling but he doesn't dominate in enough games.  Fortunately, he made an interesting comment the other week, something like:  "I'm playing in a league of men and I can barely grow a beard.  I need to gain more muscle".  I was incredibly happy to see him say that because his strength was a concern of mine.  So far, he has not been putting on enough muscle so its great to see him say he realizes that. We should all hope that he eventually gets to at least 215 lbs.  I think his lack of strength is why he isn't hitting as much as he used to in junior.