Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

but just not enough private sector money available to buy suites, sponsorships, etc. at prices that would make it profitable.

Also just not seen as a "preferred" destination, nor a place to stay long term & retire as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Question. Has anyone heard reports from anywhere that if Pierre Luc Dubois signs in LA is it just for one year to take him to UFA status or is it going to be a sign and trade for 8 years?? 

Is it we get him now or we've lost him for 8 years? Any info?? 

9 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Question. Has anyone heard reports from anywhere that if Pierre Luc Dubois signs in LA is it just for one year to take him to UFA status or is it going to be a sign and trade for 8 years?? 

The assumption is that any team who trades for him would want him to agree to a long term deal if they have to pay what Winnipeg is asking.

I wonder how much input he has in these negotiations right now?

Does he tell Winnipeg that he won't sign an 8 year contract to go to LA because he really wants to spend the next 8 years living and working in Quebec? Could this be a process to help Winnipeg get a better deal from Montreal, kind of push them to their limit as to what they'll give up to get him, thereby helping Winnipeg?

Or, is he legitimately willing to go to LA for 8 years and ending up in Montreal isn't as important to him as we think?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

50 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I wonder how much input he has in these negotiations right now?

Does he tell Winnipeg that he won't sign an 8 year contract to go to LA because he really wants to spend the next 8 years living and working in Quebec? Could this be a process to help Winnipeg get a better deal from Montreal, kind of push them to their limit as to what they'll give up to get him, thereby helping Winnipeg?

Or, is he legitimately willing to go to LA for 8 years and ending up in Montreal isn't as important to him as we think?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

If I recall, Dubois submitted a 4 team list to the Jets where he was willing to accept a trade and sign a long term contract. 

Any other team that traded for Dubois are likely getting a one year rental. Which is Montreal’s best case scenario because we will sign him as UFA without spending assets 

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If I recall, Dubois submitted a 4 team list to the Jets where he was willing to accept a trade and sign a long term contract. 

Any other team that traded for Dubois are likely getting a one year rental. Which is Montreal’s best case scenario because we will sign him as UFA without spending assets 

I haven't seen anything about a 4 team list.  There are speculations of LA, New York Rangers and Boston in the mix with his desired destination of Montreal.  This is an interesting situation where a RFA has nearly tanked his value and it's not really about his play on the ice.

43 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I haven't seen anything about a 4 team list.  There are speculations of LA, New York Rangers and Boston in the mix with his desired destination of Montreal.  This is an interesting situation where a RFA has nearly tanked his value and it's not really about his play on the ice.

On June 9 it was reported his agent would provide jets with a short list of teams he’d be willing to trade/sign long term with.  Haven’t seen anywhere that the list actually got submitted or what the teams are, that part is speculation.

Hard to see the Kings moving Kopitar or Dannault who are their established top two centres

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

I think there is zero chance LA gives up assets for him without a long term commitment. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I thought the 4 team list was reported by someone reputable but I can’t remember who. Did a quick search but found nothing. 

Anyone see a tweet about the 4 team list?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It was also said that his salary request wasn't the same for each team.   That came from Basu and Godin in the Athletic.  This is not the "four team" list though. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It was also said that his salary request wasn't the same for each team.   That came from Basu and Godin in the Athletic.  This is not the "four team" list though. 

That’s right it was tweeted by both of them about the Dubious thing. 

I think the 4 team thing might have been a prognostication by Friedman. 

This wasn’t long ago lol and I forgot 

Draft day is going to be fun

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'll be traveling next week but at least the time zone works for the first round. The subsequent rounds I'll need to read about when I wake up!

Safe travels.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 3:19 PM, DON said:

Hahahaha, what a dink MB was. Just more proof that their prospect evaluation was shite.

Not a habs rumor but Lucic back to Boston is talked about on tsn. I miss the rivalry when Weise and Emelin vs Lucic and Chara was going strong.

Would love to see Wifi vs Lucic.

38 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Not a habs rumor but Lucic back to Boston is talked about on tsn. I miss the rivalry when Weise and Emelin vs Lucic and Chara was going strong.

Would love to see Wifi vs Lucic.

Wifi is too big for Lucic to want to fight.  He might fight Gallagher or Caufield though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Would be an interesting addition?

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/07/01/montreal-canadiens-reportedly-linked-to-free-agent-ryan-oreilly-rumours-free-agency-habs-friedman/

Friedman mentioned the Canadiens in his latest article, published ahead of the free agency window which opens on July 1 at noon ET.

"If not Toronto, Ryan O’Reilly’s been linked to Detroit, Montreal, Nashville and Vancouver,” said Friedman.

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Would be an interesting addition?

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/07/01/montreal-canadiens-reportedly-linked-to-free-agent-ryan-oreilly-rumours-free-agency-habs-friedman/

Friedman mentioned the Canadiens in his latest article, published ahead of the free agency window which opens on July 1 at noon ET.

"If not Toronto, Ryan O’Reilly’s been linked to Detroit, Montreal, Nashville and Vancouver,” said Friedman.

Makes no sense to me. 

None of the major UFAs seem to make sense to me. Why would a rebuilding team invest huge $$$ (and likely term) in guys that are into, or entering, the back nine of their careers? I find it strange that some Habs fans are talking about this.

I can see the argument for signing a second-tier, older UFA on a short-term deal in the hope of flipping them at the deadline. The wisdom of this would depend on whether we have legitimate young players we want to try in those slots instead, or if they’re just gaping roster holes that need filling in any case.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Makes no sense to me. 

Short-term deal, lets them move Dvorak, allows them to ease Newhook in on the wing and assess his viability down the middle.  In a year or two, flip him if they're out of contention or keep him if they're in the mix.  It's not a perfect fit but it makes a bit of sense in theory.

Meanwhile, if you're looking for players Montreal might be signing, go to this list - expect a few to be signed within the next couple of days. https://insideahlhockey.com/article/inside-ahl-hockey-ahl-free-agent-tracker-2023-version-10

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Short-term deal, lets them move Dvorak, allows them to ease Newhook in on the wing and assess his viability down the middle.  In a year or two, flip him if they're out of contention or keep him if they're in the mix.  It's not a perfect fit but it makes a bit of sense in theory.

Good point ... just not certain why ROR would want to sign with the Habs.