(GDT) FEB 04, HABS VS OTTAWA - 7:00pm

habs#4,9,10,33

Too little, too late! They basically showed up for the first 19 minutes of the game and then they mailed it in! Not impressed by this performance against the worst team in the league!

• Upvote 1

If there was a skate or practice tomorrow, CJ should change the time to 6am

That's what a team that collectively takes a night off like they did today deserves, as incentive to never do it again.

At least they showed up a bit in the second half of the period - the PP and the late PK had some life.  Hopefully the last few minutes serve as a reminder of what happens when they hustle.  Give Ottawa some credit too - they played a lot better than they had in recent games but that was far from Montreal's 'A' game.

The Habs gave a good effort at the end there but we couldn’t capitalize on a few of our power play opportunities earlier and then shot ourselves in the foot with our late penalties.

Chiarot’s high sticking penalty near the end was one of the dumbest penalties I’ve ever seen, and Tatar’s was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Tatar basically got a penalty for competing hard and fighting a battle... Should not have been a penalty in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The Habs gave a good effort at the end there but we couldn’t capitalize on a few of our power play opportunities earlier and then shot ourselves in the foot with our late penalties.

Chiarot’s high sticking penalty near the end was one of the dumbest penalties I’ve ever seen, and Tatar’s was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Tatar basically got a penalty for competing hard and fighting a battle... Should not have been a penalty in my opinion. 

The Tatar penalty was absurd and the reffing sucked for sure. 

Sens were guilty constantly of interference. We would dump the puck and they would block us from going after it - that is interference 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Tatar penalty was absurd and the reffing sucked for sure. 

Sens were guilty constantly of interference. We would dump the puck and they would block us from going after it - that is interference 

And we did them ... the refs didn't beat the Habs ... the Sens, and the Habs themselves, beat the Habs

I think all fans thought 2 points was a lock, couldnt lose to this team and sorry to say, Habs skated & competed liked they thought same thing. 

Reffing was not an issue, Habs simply sucked. Just hope is a bit of wake up call, but am sure will have couple or several more efforts like this to come.

I admit that I was distracted during the first two periods but I saw the Habs competing hard in the 3rd period. We also outshot them badly. I personally saw a team who battled hard (in the 3rd) and deserved the opportunity to tie it up. The reffing did not beat the Habs, but the Tatar penalty was indeed a terrible call against a player who was simply battling hard and was more eager than their opponent to compete for the puck. Someone should not be penalized for having heart.

I am not saying that the first 40 minutes don’t matter, but the last few minutes showed a team that was competing hard to rally back. They did not simply mail it in, and I do personally take a positive from that.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

but the Tatar penalty was indeed a terrible call

Call where Perry basically fell down by himself coming around net, was same kind of call in other direction, so like usual it evens out and was no excuse for loss.

Tatar also should of had a diving call in front of net, that they didnt call.

Its a bad call, but we were down a goal with 25 seconds left and already playing shorthanded.  Its not the reason for the loss. 

They had a bad game.  Their first truly bad game in 11 games this season.  Shit happens.

16 hours ago, sbhatt said:

If there was a skate or practice tomorrow, CJ should change the time to 6am

That's what a team that collectively takes a night off like they did today deserves, as incentive to never do it again.

Many moons ago there was a Habs rangers game right before the all-star break that going into the 3rd, Rangers were up 5-0.  Habs came back and won that game 6-5 in OT.  I believe Tortorella was the coach of the rangers.  He cut the post game presser short after saying the 3rd period the players were already talking about what they would be doing during the break.  They had already checked out.  He ended the presser by saying that his players didn’t skate during the game so they are skating after the game.

This always resonated with me, and I believe every coach should have that’s mentality with their team.  Win or lose you are going to skate hard, the choice is are you doing it during the game or after.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DON said:

3-2 at home

4-0-2 on road

Why again they struggle at home? Will this be the 2nd year in a row they suck at home?

Just like the other discussions, I think the sample size is too small. :)

Not a single person is saying the bad call is the reason for the loss, however that call PREVENTED us from even having a chance at completing a comeback. I understand the frustration but I don’t know why everyone is trying so hard to argue that we 100% would have lost anyway had there not been a terrible call at the end. I really think we had a chance to tie things up at the end. 

Should we have been in that position in the first place? No, because we didn’t play a full 60 minutes. With that being said, there have been teams in the past, habs or otherwise, who would have mailed it in at 1-3. The boys worked hard at the end of the game, and there is a positive to be taken out of that. I think it may pay dividends in the future if they continue to demonstrate this never give up attitude. 

Yes any call throughout the game is just as important as the next one. With that being said, there is a different level of anxiety, and intensity when a team has 30 seconds left to tie things up. Tatar was simply demonstrating this intensity as he flew into the corner in an attempt to retrieve the puck. I feel this is the point I am making that is being missed. One should be rewarded for giving a great effort, and instead Tatar was needlessly punished. This is the part that is frustrating, and whoever the ref was, while I am not suggesting that they should put their whistles away, they should understand the moment, and avoid making a WRONG call with less than a minute that in turn decides the outcome of the game.

The refs did not lose the game for the Habs. In fact never in my life have I suggested that has actually happened in any single game I have ever watched. But the penalty call solidified the outcome. If people don’t see that, then they are arguing a point I am not making.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not a single person is saying the bad call is the reason for the loss, however that call PREVENTED us from even having a chance at completing a comeback. I understand the frustration but I don’t know why everyone is trying so hard to argue that we 100% would have lost anyway had there not been a terrible call at the end. I really think we had a chance to tie things up at the end. 

Should we have been in that position in the first place? No, because we didn’t play a full 60 minutes. With that being said, there have been teams in the past, habs or otherwise, who would have mailed it in at 1-3. The boys worked hard at the end of the game, and there is a positive to be taken out of that. I think it may pay dividends in the future if they continue to demonstrate this never give up attitude. 

Yes any call throughout the game is just as important as the next one. With that being said, there is a different level of anxiety, and intensity when a team has 30 seconds left to tie things up. Tatar was simply demonstrating this intensity as he flew into the corner in an attempt to retrieve the puck. I feel this is the point I am making that is being missed. One should be rewarded for giving a great effort, and instead Tatar was needlessly punished. This is the part that is frustrating, and whoever the ref was, while I am not suggesting that they should put their whistles away, they should understand the moment, and avoid making a WRONG call with less than a minute that in turn decides the outcome of the game.

The refs did not lose the game for the Habs. In fact never in my life have I suggested that has actually happened in any single game I have ever watched. But the penalty call solidified the outcome. If people don’t see that, then they are arguing a point I am not making.

I now understand your point ... it was a slim chance but there was a chance

But I don't think the last minute of the game has any place in deciding whether to call a penalty ... they should set a standard at the start of the game and maintain it throughout ... not saying they do, just that they should

4 hours ago, DON said:

3-2 at home

4-0-2 on road

Why again they struggle at home? Will this be the 2nd year in a row they suck at home?

Too much pressure playing in front of the noisy crowd.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think this is what you really meant ...

It was more meant as sarcasm - I guess I should have used the emoji. I guess the players can imagine the fake noise and get nervous🤔

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It was more meant as sarcasm - I guess I should have used the emoji. I guess the players can imagine the fake noise and get nervous🤔

😝 I got the joke, mon ami.

God knows what the players think of this stupid canned “Blades of Steel” crowd noise. I don’t know anyone who thinks it’s a particularly good idea, but the dummies running the NHL seem locked into it. And probably the broadcasters like that it covers up some of the more egregious on-ice swearing.