Jump to content

Habs Re-Sign Joel Armia, 4 years, 13.6 million total, 3.4 million AAV


 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think he is the key cog on whatever line he is put on. 
 

He is the guy that gets stuff done so others look good and he does have some hands

 

It is true.  His line almost always "works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Way too much for a bottom-six forward.  These are the contracts that often come back to bite teams, overpaying by that much for depth players is what takes away the ability to add another impact piece.

 

In my opinion he is a very high level bottom-six forward who can do so many things. He will score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great signing. Very good defensively. Awesome puck protector. Will probably average 10 less points per season than Anderson. #7 forward who can step up to top 6 as a fill in. The team needs defensive forwards if they lose danault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Great signing. Very good defensively. Awesome puck protector. Will probably average 10 less points per season than Anderson. #7 forward who can step up to top 6 as a fill in. The team needs defensive forwards if they lose danault.

 

He did 0.5 points/game the prior season, less in the last one. Anderson was 0.46/game in the last one. He may end up playing on the fourth line, but if we're continuing with four balanced lines, he will still see a lot of ice time. And Armia is excellent on PK.

 

Anyway, someone said we shoudl have paid $2.5M. Well, yes, we could have got a RW for $2.5M, no question. But one similar to Armia would cost $3M+ unless he gave the Habs a huge discount. $3.2 would have been nicer than $3.4, but hopefully our cap crunch won't come down to $200K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

In my opinion he is a very high level bottom-six forward who can do so many things. He will score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

 

He has scored more than 13 once in his career and played at a 14-goal pace this season.  I'd love to see it happen but in the limited role he's probably going to have based on the depth chart (12-14 minutes a night with likely minimal power play time), I have a hard time seeing him find his scoring touch with any consistency.  I think he is who he is at this point, a 25-30-point player who can take over a game at random once in a while.  That's not worth this type of money in this market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

In my opinion he is a very high level bottom-six forward who can do so many things. He will score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

Yes, but will be over the next two years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, huzer said:

 

I guess testing was the wrong word. I figured he'd be gone. His comments about remaining a Canadien seemed ambiguous. I took that as some level of dissatisfaction with the team.

 

I was bummed when I saw that interview and it sounds like I had the same impression as you from it.  I thought it sounded like he was bummed or something with the Habs and that he was going to move on. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

In my opinion he is a very high level bottom-six forward who can do so many things. He will score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

 

 

I agree but I think he's even a decent 2nd liner Winger.  Granted, the Habs wont need him to do that unless there are numerous injuries - but I think he's capable.  Armia should hit 20 g this year.

 

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

He did 0.5 points/game the prior season, less in the last one. Anderson was 0.46/game in the last one. He may end up playing on the fourth line, but if we're continuing with four balanced lines, he will still see a lot of ice time. And Armia is excellent on PK.

 

Anyway, someone said we shoudl have paid $2.5M. Well, yes, we could have got a RW for $2.5M, no question. But one similar to Armia would cost $3M+ unless he gave the Habs a huge discount. $3.2 would have been nicer than $3.4, but hopefully our cap crunch won't come down to $200K.

 

 

I agree Armia is a good PK, he's a good checker over all.  I strongly believe height makes a greater factor than most people think.  i.e. being 6'3"+, longer arms = bigger reach, longer legs = bigger strides = getting more pucks. 

 

I've said this since they got him that he should be signed him long term ASAP for cheap.  ex:  even @ 2mil/yr, when he avgs 30 pts (typical $1mil/10pts) would save $1mil/yr.   It's out right dumb for MB to have let Armia get this close to becoming a UFA.  This contract is the result of waiting.  Armia has had 2 strong playoffs and now gets paid fairly vs being a deal. 

 

However, I'm definitely glad he didnt leave and I wont be surprised if he gets 40-45 pts and is a bit of a bargain, but if that does happen it should've been a hell of a deal @ $2mil/yr.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad he signed with us. He has been a solid plug since we got him. A little high but not the 4 mill I was thinking he might get offered by some silly GM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree but I think he's even a decent 2nd liner Winger.  Granted, the Habs wont need him to do that unless there are numerous injuries - but I think he's capable.  Armia should hit 20 g this year.

What in the world would make you think this?

380 NHL games 0.37pts/gm (30pt/82gms) and never had 20g before.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree but I think he's even a decent 2nd liner Winger.  Granted, the Habs wont need him to do that unless there are numerous injuries - but I think he's capable.  Armia should hit 20 g this year. 

Sure, defensively he is and will chip in a bit at other end, but 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

In my opinion he is a very high level bottom-six forward who can do so many things. He will score 20 if he can stay healthy. 

 

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good signing of a quintessential, quality 3rd liner. 👍

 

Who played 4th line minutes (11:40 TOI 5-on-5) in the playoff run ... and in the bubble last fall (11:23) ... and barely 3rd line minutes last season (9th amongst forwards ... 5 seconds ahead of #10 Caufield) ... its not that I don't like Armia as a player ... but with Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli and Caufield ahead of them, Habs will be paying $6.8M to a pair of 3rd/4th liners in Armia and Byron, more than Petry makes ... seems like roles that could/should be filled by less expensive options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DON said:

What in the world would make you think this?

380 NHL games 0.37pts/gm (30pt/82gms) and never had 20g before.

In 2018-19 he was on pace for 19 goals over 82 games, and in 2019-20 it was a 23-goal pace. Last season he struggled to recover from a concussion and then COVID, so the lower production is not surprising. His usage in Winnipeg was far more defensive and it shows in his totals there.

 

Of course the outcome depends on how Ducharme will use him in 2021-22, both in terms of assignment and minutes. But Armia is highly adaptable, able to play anywhere from second to fourth line, left or right wing, and both special teams. (Just don't ask him to do faceoffs!) That is an advantage, and is certainly an asset when the inevitable injuries hit us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In 2018-19 he was on pace for 19 goals over 82 games, and in 2019-20 it was a 23-goal pace. L

He averages 15g/yr and is now 28, so wouldnt you think this +/- 15 should be the expected and not 20, thats all. So he is a bit injury prone and has same amount of games as Lehkonen, who is 2 years younger, so can add that in as well.

I know we love to do the rose-coloured glasses bit, but just bit lofty expectation i think, thats all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Armia on that 4th line and able to move up and down the line up when injuries or slumps hit … but he is a luxury at that price. I thot he was gone. 
 

that right side is so deep, something has to give - someone is moving out or playing in their off wing (Toffoli +). 
 

that said, I do think players like Armia are what’s needed in the post season so if the cap can be managed, he may be a luxury for bubble teams but a necessary cog in championship teams. 
 

we need another finisher and a more experienced C up front - so seems to me that a couple of forwards need to be traded or hope they can do the Kucherov. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DON said:

He averages 15g/yr and is now 28, so wouldnt you think this +/- 15 should be the expected and not 20, thats all. So he is a bit injury prone and has same amount of games as Lehkonen, who is 2 years younger, so can add that in as well.

I know we love to do the rose-coloured glasses bit, but just bit lofty expectation i think, thats all.

I'm not projecting anything -- am just pointing out that his scoring pace with the Habs has been close to 20/82 games, and that his stats in Winnipeg are not completely comparable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

In 2018-19 he was on pace for 19 goals over 82 games, and in 2019-20 it was a 23-goal pace. Last season he struggled to recover from a concussion and then COVID, so the lower production is not surprising. His usage in Winnipeg was far more defensive and it shows in his totals there.

 

Of course the outcome depends on how Ducharme will use him in 2021-22, both in terms of assignment and minutes. But Armia is highly adaptable, able to play anywhere from second to fourth line, left or right wing, and both special teams. (Just don't ask him to do faceoffs!) That is an advantage, and is certainly an asset when the inevitable injuries hit us.

In November 2019. Wasn’t Laine on pace for 70 goals? On pace doesn’t mean squat. Players get hit and cold. Other players always seem to be hampered by injuries. Do I want Armia to get 29, or even close to 20 goals? Sure. I’d also like   to win the lottery. Armia’s chances of 20+ goals are higher than my chances of winning the lottery - but probably not by much.

You can’t pay guys that are probably 4th liners over $3m - and we have two!!  With a big hole to fill on defence and centre.  You need to fill the big holes and use what is left over for the bottom 6. We are going to be in tough for a playoff position this year. Our D needs to be MUCH better than last year and we need to solidify the centre position.  That’s where the money needs to be spent.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Habs29, you think Armia is overpaid?

 

I see him as much better than a 4th liner. He and Lehkonen are both archetypical 3rd-line types; Armia gusts to occasionally looking like a top-6 guy when he gets hot (which is why some posters on here still fantasize about his getting 20 goals, and, I agree, it ain’t going to happen). He’s one of those “occasional 2nd line” guys. Both both can eat significant minutes as quality shut-down FWs who chip in with some scoring now and then. Unlike Lekhs, Armia adds an element of power forward physicality which teams really prize. So I’m pretty sure Armia would have gotten at least 3 mil on the open market, so if there’s any overpay here, it’s minor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So Habs29, you think Armia is overpaid?

 

I see him as much better than a 4th liner. He and Lehkonen are both archetypical 3rd-line types; Armia gusts to occasionally looking like a top-6 guy when he gets hot (which is why some posters on here still fantasize about his getting 20 goals, and, I agree, it ain’t going to happen). He’s one of those “occasional 2nd line” guys. Both both can eat significant minutes as quality shut-down FWs who chip in with some scoring now and then. Unlike Lekhs, Armia adds an element of power forward physicality which teams really prize. So I’m pretty sure Armia would have gotten at least 3 mil on the open market, so if there’s any overpay here, it’s minor.

I think he can move up the lineup. But the most regular rile fir him is in the 4th line when we are healthy. I actually like Lekhonan better - I think he is much more more relentless on the forecheck, but like both. I just don’t want to over value what they bring.

 

I just don’t see how we can prioritize signing Armia before we know how much

money we need to upgrade the D - sne I think we need a significant upgradez I don’t think we should say, we got to the finals with the the Chiarot-Edmondson types, let’s get more of the same.  I’m worried we are going to get another Alzner type in savard (Savard is better), but will never full value with his contract. 
 

Inalso think it’s a folly to do what Edmonton, SJ, ottawa, and other surprise final contenders did, “oh we are so close wr just need the final piece”. We are not close. We were in a unique situation last year and still could have missed the playoffs.  We need a lineup that can finish in the top 4 in the Atlantic, before we start dreaming about the final 4 in the playoffs.
 

We need to prioritize getting a top pairing puck mover D, ideally one additional puck mover/shooter, and a centre. Once we know how much we need for those pieces, than you fill the roster- but keeping an eye in long term commitments that would make it hard to pay Suzuki, Caufield, and KK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Danault - 6 yr - $33 million to stay a Hab.  Rumour so far.  Thoughts?

No. Just no. We are going to be operating under a flat cap. Need to act accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they are penciled in as 3rd line wingers as far as I am concerned

 

They have Drouin, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Caufield on the wing as well.  By default, at least one of Byron/Armia has to be on the fourth line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

 

They have Drouin, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Caufield on the wing as well.  By default, at least one of Byron/Armia has to be on the fourth line.

Don’t forget Lekhonan. I think Byron for sure would slot in after Lekhonan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...