2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

22 minutes ago, EMELINATOR said:

I’m putting this out into the universe.

Adam Fantilli will be a Hab tomorrow night. 

Have a feeling 🙏

I honestly think that's who they want too, but these guys think way to fare outside the box its hard to get a read on them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Was it to the same same Division though?  Same Conference anyway.  Off the top of my head that is really the only big name player I can think of that was traded within the same Conference.   I'm sure there are others but the majority of trades of top players tend to happen between Conferences. 

Smythe division!image.png

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Smythe division!image.png

You're totally right.  There are so many teams today that I forget who was in what division.  A lot of teams today didn't exist when that trade happened.  LA was the only team in Cali at that time.  I questioned it because it just sounded super odd to trade the best player of all time to a team in the same Division.  It's not really a good idea to even do that in the same Conference. 

41 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

You're totally right.  There are so many teams today that I forget who was in what division.  A lot of teams today didn't exist when that trade happened.  LA was the only team in Cali at that time.  I questioned it because it just sounded super odd to trade the best player of all time to a team in the same Division.  It's not really a good idea to even do that in the same Conference. 

I’m not sure divisional play mattered so much back then. 

Balanced schedule and 1 vs 16 playoff format. 

1 hour ago, EMELINATOR said:

Have a feeling 🙏

I think the Habs used up a lot of their draft capital (31 &37) on the Newhook trade so I think the chances of the Habs moving up in the draft have been reduced. 

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

I’m not sure divisional play mattered so much back then. 

Balanced schedule and 1 vs 16 playoff format. 

No it wasnt.

In 1988 when the oilers made the trade it was divisional playoffs... 1v4 2v3... then division championship, then conference, then cup.

Schedule was also not balanced.

The 1vs16 was gone by the mid 80s.  Hence all the flames vs oilers series that we got in the 80s (and Habs/nords, habs/bruins, habs/whalers)

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Gretzky actually knocked out the oilers in the playoffs the year after the trade.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the Habs used up a lot of their draft capital (31 &37) on the Newhook trade so I think the chances of the Habs moving up in the draft have been reduced. 

That’s why I really don’t like this deal. They traded their next two picks after the 5th. If we were going to move them i would have preferred to pick up a 22 or 23 year old dman.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... It's not really a good idea to even do that in the same Conference. 

In your opinion, not everyone's ... but neither side will convince the other ... sooooooooo ...

Draft!  Draft!  Draft!  Draft!    Lovely Draft! Lovely Draft!

Lovely draft! Wonderful draft!

Draft dra-a-a-a-a-aft Draft dra-a-a-a-a-aft Draft.
Lovely Draft! Lovely Draft!    Lovely Draft! Lovely Draft!
Draft Draft Draft Draft!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, EMELINATOR said:

Have a feeling 🙏

Mysterious slide ...  or  ... TRADE

• Like 1

Well, who will it be?

Smith, Reinbacher, Michkov?

Michkov or Leonard or Benson am kinda pulling for, but other 2 seem fine as well. No lose situation, will add a skilled kid.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I’m more thinking he will slide to 4 after hearing Anaheim may go off the board and Columbus loves Smith.

Much easier to trade with Sharks than Ducks.

2 hours ago, EMELINATOR said:

I’m more thinking he will slide to 4 after hearing Anaheim may go off the board and Columbus loves Smith.

Much easier to trade with Sharks than Ducks.

San Jose is telling teams they won't move 4 already and if Fantilli slides to there, wouldn't that make them that much more inclined to keep the pick?

• Upvote 1

5 offers?  Could be a fun night

Here is my trade proposal. Assuming Michkov is there at 5 and Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith are gone. 

Philadelphia trades 7 and 22 for number 5. Assuming they want Michkov.

Montreal offers a sweetener to Arizona to pass on Leonard (maybe a couple 4th round picks, maybe Arizona was going to take someone else anyway). 

Montreal drafts Leonard at 7 and whoever at 22?

Should be a fun night. 

I’m not sure I want fireworks, For months, I’ve been hearing about what a terrific draft class this is, with loads of great players at the top end. Now we are hearing about the Habs being open to “moving down.” This seems counter-intuitive to me. 5 is a high pick in a supposedly elite draft year. Keep it. And pick the BPA. Don’t get cute.

I would be happy with Smith, Michkov or Leonard as I think they will all be difference makers. But if you could get Leonard and add another 1st rounder then worth exploring. Who really knows what Hughes is thinking and this speculation will end soon but it's been fun talking about. 

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not sure I want fireworks, For months, I’ve been hearing about what a terrific draft class this is, with loads of great players at the top end. Now we are hearing about the Habs being open to “moving down.” This seems counter-intuitive to me. 5 is a high pick in a supposedly elite draft year. Keep it. And pick the BPA. Don’t get cute.

Oh I’m totally with you. 

But if the ducks go off the beaten path I expect a lot of attempts from others to move up. 

If he can get quality assets and secure Leonard I totally cool with that. 

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I expect Habs roster players for later picks, more than I expect any movement around the #5 pick.

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

I expect Habs roster players for later picks, more than I expect any movement around the #5 pick.

Good point. I'll be interested to see if Hughes tries to recoup a 2nd rounder after the Newhook deal.