Game 2 - Montréal vs. Chicago ... 7 p.m. - 2023-10-14

bar

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sweet goal ... early BOLD prediction ... if Monahan can stay healthy (say 75+ games) HuGo will re-sign him to a 3-4 year extension.

Boy, that's a big if.  But if he's healthy at the deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if Hughes at least inquired about an extension.  But if it's not done by then, he's probably gone.

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There was only 10:45 of even-strength play so the minutes got rather skewed.

After two periods ... Gallagher has a total of 5:51, including 1:08 of PP time ... he finally snuck past Dach's injury-induced 4:40 ... next lowest TOI is Pearson at 8:00 (with 2:37 of PK) ... he is effectively a 4th liner.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Boy, that's a big if.  But if he's healthy at the deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if Hughes at least inquired about an extension.  But if it's not done by then, he's probably gone.

I hope he can do both.  Hughes will need to talk to Monahan and figure out if he wants to stay and ask what he wants for his next contact and if he minds being traded at the deadline.

Ŵhat a goal b Caufield! Everyone keeps saying that he's gonna score 50goals, but I just couldn't get myself to believe it. Mostly because I haven't seen a Habs player score 50 since Richer in 1989!  The more I see him play, the more i'm convinced he's gonna score 50!!

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I hope he can do both.  Hughes will need to talk to Monahan and figure out if he wants to stay and ask what he wants for his next contact and if he minds being traded at the deadline.

Its very rare that you trade away a rental and then re-sign the player.  This gets talked about so much but it just doesn't happen.

If you want the player, re-sign him.  If you dont, trade him.  But having your cake and eating it too is highly unlikely.

7 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Oh well. There goes the shutout for Monty!

The Ole "first minute of the period" goal

15 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

RHP plays very well this period but why was Xhekaj doing like that against Perry? He is so lucky Perry got two for recieving.

He needs to learn a bit discipline

RHP constantly looks dangerous - not mater what line he is on.

I'm not sure what Xhekaj was doing with Perry, other than showing him he wont be pushed around or intimidated by him.  WiFi should be going after Tinordi for hitting Dach and Vlassic for roughing Caufield.  

Pearson does a lot of good things out there. I think he can be a solid third liner. 

Gallagher’s game just doesn’t fit anymore. The speed and skill of the team has left Gally behind. 

Monty made some great saves. 

I wish for a better partner for Matheson. Savard throws the puck in the corner too much. There are opportunities to create plays but Savard is who he is.

I’m bummed about Dach. Hopefully not too serious 

I hate to see Dach get hurt, I must have put the hex on him with my earlier post about hoping he doesn't get hurt. Please let it be minor.  Guhle looked really good, Pinard is such a great worker and I thought Newhook looked dangerous, terrific skater.  The Habs have a lot of guys that can skate and I agree that Gallagher looks a little lost out there. 

39 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hate to see Dach get hurt, I must have put the hex on him with my earlier post about hoping he doesn't get hurt. Please let it be minor.  Guhle looked really good, Pinard is such a great worker and I thought Newhook looked dangerous, terrific skater.  The Habs have a lot of guys that can skate and I agree that Gallagher looks a little lost out there. 

It seemed to me that the Gally line started the game strong and then gradually lost its way (maybe because the opposition coach made an adjustment targeting that line? I dunno). By the third Gallagher was flailing around out there, coughing up the puck and losing battles like I've never seen from him before. Embarrassing. I want to say "that can't go on," but I don't know what the Habs can do about it other than paying him $6 mil to eat hot dogs.

Monty really made a difference. It was night and day between his solid, #1-calibre netminding and Allen's erratic performance against the Festering Scum. 

So frustrating to see Dach get hurt. Hopefully it's minor.

Newhook looks like a damned good pick-up. Maybe this Hughes guy knows what he's doing...

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It seemed to me that the Gally line started the game strong and then gradually lost its way (maybe because the opposition coach made an adjustment targeting that line? I dunno). By the third Gallagher was flailing around out there, coughing up the puck and losing battles like I've never seen from him before. Embarrassing. I want to say "that can't go on," but I don't know what the Habs can do about it other than paying him $6 mil to eat hot dogs.

I was of the 'give him 10 games to maybe prove he's turned it around some, then pressbox him if he still stinks' mentality.  But after watching him for two games, I don't think we can afford to give him that long with him being as useless as he is now.  If he shows nothing in the next 3, then let him sit and eat hot dogs. 

Gallagher reminds me of the sick grey looking steak you find at the supermarket that’s for sale.

Even at 50 cents on the dollar ain’t no one touching it.

If game #1 wasn’t enough to convince you he’s past his due date game #2 further proved that. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If Monohan stays healthy up to thr deadline (and that’s a big if with Monohon), you love him immediately.

he’s only 29, but he’s got the body of a 39 year old. 

we dont need another Gallagher type contract that ages badly. 

Living in Calgary, Monohan. Was a guy I wish the Habs could have been in a position to  draft.

was a character hard working and productive player. But he’s body has a lot of mileage. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pearson does a lot of good things out there. I think he can be a solid third liner. 

Gallagher’s game just doesn’t fit anymore. The speed and skill of the team has left Gally behind. 

I'm liking Pearson too, he seems to do a lot of lil small things that are the right thing to do for the situation.

Hopefully, Gally still isn't in game shape or some other possible explanation.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs have a lot of guys that can skate

Their speed is 1 of the reasons why I think they might be more successful than most people seem to think.  Any slower and older teams could get overwhelmed by their speed.  The Habs also have some decent skilled guys that are good on the rush too.   That could be a better combo than what most people have considered.  

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Monty really made a difference. It was night and day between his solid, #1-calibre netminding and Allen's erratic performance against the Festering Scum. 

So frustrating to see Dach get hurt. Hopefully it's minor.

Newhook looks like a damned good pick-up. Maybe this Hughes guy knows what he's doing...

Gally definitely started stronger than he finished.  As for adjustments, it was just with 11 forwards in the 2nd and 3rd period we had some line juggling going on so that was part of it.

Monty definitely played well.

Dach was pointing to his thigh and not his knee when he was talking to the trainer.  Maybe a charlie horse/thigh contusion like werenski and hes out a few weeks instead of months? I hope thats all it is. 

It would be great if the Newhook reclamation project worked.  Hes dangerous with his speed.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

It would be great if the Newhook reclamation project worked.  Hes dangerous with his speed.

Love his quickness, just hope he has bit better skill set than a Byron did. 

"IF" Dach will be out any amount of time and Dvorak out for while longer i assume, who would likely be recalled? Armia seems obvious one i suppose, maybe Roy or Kidney?

Heineman got hurt running into a referee yesterday and left that game also.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If Monohan stays healthy up to thr deadline (and that’s a big if with Monohon), you love him immediately.

he’s only 29, but he’s got the body of a 39 year old. 

we dont need another Gallagher type contract that ages badly. 

Living in Calgary, Monohan. Was a guy I wish the Habs could have been in a position to  draft.

was a character hard working and productive player. But he’s body has a lot of mileage. 

No question. You ship Monahan out first chance you get. Love the player, but I agree with you. And the fact is that, if healthy, he could bring real added value to a playoff run.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm liking Pearson too, he seems to do a lot of lil small things that are the right thing to do for the situation.

Their speed is 1 of the reasons why I think they might be more successful than most people seem to think.  Any slower and older teams could get overwhelmed by their speed.  The Habs also have some decent skilled guys that are good on the rush too.   That could be a better combo than what most people have considered.  

Pearson is a good third-liner when healthy. His last season with the Canucks was utterly ruined by injures and, given his cap hit, they needed to dump him. But even at age 31 I think he can bring value to the bottom-end of a roster. He's got rings, too. I had no problem with us acquiring him on an expiring contract.

Regarding the team, I think we'll be a competitive team if we can stay healthy - a team that surprises other clubs on the regular. But I also think we are likely to lose a lot of games in the same way we lost the Toronto game: mistakes of either inexperience or decrepitude, goalie whiffs, etc., costing us just enough to lose a good chunk of contests. We'll probably come out of the season feeling both that the team "deserved better" on a lot of nights, and frustrated at the amount of blown leads or close games we lost.  

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Love his quickness, just hope he has bit better skill set than a Byron did. 

He is bigger than Byron and, I think, a fair bit stronger. But we'll see what the future brings. So far so good.