Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Also Wifi's defensive game has been much worse this season than it was a year ago. 

Without looking at the advanced stats (on my phone!) my feeling is that Xhekaj has seen more time playing against stronger opposition than last year. Or is that just my imagination?

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why would we want to trade a guy who may be a top pairing dman and will for sure be at least a solid 2nd pairing dman?? It makes no sense! Adding a Laine or other skilled forward is not going to get us into the playoffs, and so far the only one of our young D that has demonstrated AT THE NHL LEVEL, that he may become a top pairing guy, we want to trade?? I’d trade Matheson before even considering moving Guhle.

I agree. Chelios, McDonough, Sergachev ring any bells? The last thing on Earth I want is for MTL to trade a D-man with Guhle’s potential for a forward. Now, Harris or Kovacevic(sp) in a trade like Romanov + for Dach ? Yes, please, I’ll have another. 

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

With term left and exposed as a "one-man band" he is unlikely to have much trade value 

Poor Anderson.

I read an interview somewhere with Gallagher where he talked about how he struggled to adjust to what MSL wanted him to do with his game, but feels like he has now made the adjustment.

Anderson, who has far fewer hockey smarts than Gallagher, was also tasked by the coach to change his game. That was clearly a massive mistake. Josh, God love him, does not have the tools to add anything to his game. He needs to be a heat-seeking missile, period. Instead he got caught in a cycle of overthinking, followed by losing confidence, and now he is looking at a lost season.

Bad coaching by MSL, really. Ideally he would have recognized that Anderson is what he is, and made the most of the 20-goal 15-assist piledriver. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Anderson.

I read an interview somewhere with Gallagher where he talked about how he struggled to adjust to what MSL wanted him to do with his game, but feels like he has now made the adjustment.

Anderson, who has far fewer hockey smarts than Gallagher, was also tasked by the coach to change his game. That was clearly a massive mistake. Josh, God love him, does not have the tools to add anything to his game. He needs to be a heat-seeking missile, period. Instead he got caught in a cycle of overthinking, followed by losing confidence, and now he is looking at a lost season.

Bad coaching by MSL, really. Ideally he would have recognized that Anderson is what he is, and made the most of the 20-goal 15-assist piledriver. 

Good points, some players shouldn't be thinking too much and Anderson is likely one of those. Just go out there, skate hard and hit. Keep it simple. Hopefully he will pass Kirby Dach in points in the near future. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What Marty is asking Anderson to do might be as simple as:

Recognizing that he has teammates and that he isn’t the only Canadien on the ice. 

Put Anderson on the 4th line and put a deserving Ylonen in his place. 

I am not the fan of Ylonen that some others are ... but Anderson on the 4th I would be OK with.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What Marty is asking Anderson to do might be as simple as:

Recognizing that he has teammates and that he isn’t the only Canadien on the ice. 

Put Anderson on the 4th line and put a deserving Ylonen in his place. 

I think the time to teach Anderson to use his teammates was about 15 years ago, when he was a kid. That ship has clearly sailed. He only knows one way to play, the same way he’s probably been playing since he was 10. The question now is just whether he can recover his old form. He’s under contract until 2027 (!) so it’s pretty important that he do so.

That being said, he can be that guy on any given line, so yes, the way he’s playing now, I agree, move him wherever if you have younger and more effective options who might benefit.

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am not the fan of Ylonen that some others are ... but Anderson on the 4th I would be OK with.

He can do at least two things that Anderson cannot: (1) play on the PK, and (2) put the puck in the net. With three five-on-five goals this season he is tied for third with Suzuki, and behind only Newhook and Gallagher. And that's with less than half the ice time of the other three--and less skilled linemates. I should think he deserves a shot at top-six or at least top-nine role, and more than seven minutes on the ice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

He can do at least two things that Anderson cannot: (1) play on the PK, and (2) put the puck in the net. With three five-on-five goals this season he is tied for third with Suzuki, and behind only Newhook and Gallagher. And that's with less than half the ice time of the other three--and less skilled linemates. I should think he deserves a shot at top-six or at least top-nine role, and more than seven minutes on the ice.

He also is better than anderson on the PP.  Anderson with his lack of passing skill has never been productive on the PP in his entire career and i cant understand the insistance on having him on either PP unit, never mind the first one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He also is better than anderson on the PP.  Anderson with his lack of passing skill has never been productive on the PP in his entire career and i cant understand the insistance on having him on either PP unit, never mind the first one.

One of the biggest flaws of the PP in recent years was the predictability of the shot always coming from the left circle.  Anderson is always going to shoot, so it opens up that threat wherever he is.  So in that respect he’s a great addition to the PP.  The problem now is there’s no threat of him scoring from that shot in this slump.

I do agree Ylonen should get a shot on that unit to mix things up.  Caufield, Suzuki, Matheson and Monahan are in a real good groove together, so there should be a rotating door with the 5th.

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

One of the biggest flaws of the PP in recent years was the predictability of the shot always coming from the left circle.  Anderson is always going to shoot, so it opens up that threat wherever he is.  So in that respect he’s a great addition to the PP.  The problem now is there’s no threat of him scoring from that shot in this slump.

I do agree Ylonen should get a shot on that unit to mix things up.  Caufield, Suzuki, Matheson and Monahan are in a real good groove together, so there should be a rotating door with the 5th.

Anderson on the PP has literally never worked.  Not in Columbus and not in Montreal.  He may be able to fire a glod wrist shot off the rush when he can load up.  But he has no one timer to speak of and not even a quick catch and release wrister so it just doesnt work on set plays in the zone that a PP requires.  Add in his inability to be creative with stickhandling or passing and his skill set is just not set for a PP.

Ylonen is much better at all those things and was one of the better PP guys in the AHL.  

Its absolutely worth switching them

On 11/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, Commandant said:

Anderson on the PP has literally never worked.  Not in Columbus and not in Montreal.  He may be able to fire a glod wrist shot off the rush when he can load up.  But he has no one timer to speak of and not even a quick catch and release wrister so it just doesnt work on set plays in the zone that a PP requires.  Add in his inability to be creative with stickhandling or passing and his skill set is just not set for a PP.

Ylonen is much better at all those things and was one of the better PP guys in the AHL.  

Its absolutely worth switching them

I legitimately cringe every time I see him on PP1. 

18 hours ago, Helmethead said:

I legitimately cringe every time I see him on PP1. 

I cringe when I see him with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Monohan, newhook, or basically anytime any of skilled players are on the ice.  

I think if you google “trying to teach an old dog, new tricks”, you may see Anderson’s picture show up. The only solution I see for Anderson is a trade - and his value is probably at an all time low right now.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I cringe when I see him with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Monohan, newhook, or basically anytime any of skilled players are on the ice.  

I think if you google “trying to teach an old dog, new tricks”, you may see Anderson’s picture show up. The only solution I see for Anderson is a trade - and his value is probably at an all time low right now.

But if they could dump the contract I would ... even for another bad one, with a shorter term.

Anderson should 100% be on the 4th line with limited minutes. He sinks every line he gets put on and now he has crushed Monahan and Pearson too. 

Ylonen getting 5 minutes a game while Anderson is producing nothing is not right. Not to mention all of that damn PP time. 

Come on Marty, we know you are trying to get Anderson going but at some point you gotta give someone else a shot. 

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Anderson should 100% be on the 4th line with limited minutes. He sinks every line he gets put on and now he has crushed Monahan and Pearson too. 

Ylonen getting 5 minutes a game while Anderson is producing nothing is not right. Not to mention all of that damn PP time. 

Come on Marty, we know you are trying to get Anderson going but at some point you gotta give someone else a shot. 

Anderson does too many things well to be on the 4th line. 

He's probably the best forward on the roster at board battles.  He is the best forward on the roster for consistently driving the puck to the net.  Puck retrieval in the offensive zone and driving the puck to the net, for a team that shoots a lot from the outside, are 2 big skills to have.  He's normally a 0.5ppg player.  For a player that plays that type of game that's about normal for a 2nd-3rd line spot. 

His on-ice vision and usage of teammates is atrocious though.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But if they could dump the contract I would ... even for another bad one, with a shorter term.

You don't get rid of someone when their value is at an all time low, he just has to keep plugging away, get a break or two and get some confidence back. 

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

He's probably the best forward on the roster at board battles.  He is the best forward on the roster for consistently driving the puck to the net.  Puck retrieval in the offensive zone and driving the puck to the net, for a team that shoots a lot from the outside, are 2 big skills to have.  He's normally a 0.5ppg player.  For a player that plays that type of game that's about normal for a 2nd-3rd line spot. 

Agree with all your points, there aren't many forwards in the NHL with his combination of size and skating ability. Unfortunately his weaknesses have been magnified with his lack of production. I still have faith he will turn it around. 

39 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I am surprised he it not doing better with Monahan, I would expect him to do this poorly with Dvorak who also lacks HockeyIQ/Vision. 

Having him play with Evans and Pezzetta is not a bad idea. I would try it to let him build on his board/physical play and to let all the frustration out: crashing the net and being an A*hole on the ice.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Every single line that he has played on dries up to nothing. Anderson gets moved to Gallagher’s spot and now both Monahan and Pearson look like crap and have stopped producing. 

Anderson is indeed a beast that wins board battles. Unfortunately he doesn’t use his teammates to make use of that skill. 

Anderson does not in any way make a line better or his line mates better. He is a one man band that is currently not producing. 

Ylonen deserves his spot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You don't get rid of someone when their value is at an all time low, he just has to keep plugging away, get a break or two and get some confidence back. 

In the modern NHL, just getting rid of the next THREE years of his contract would have real value.

Just now, GHT120 said:

In the modern NHL, just getting rid of the next THREE years of his contract would have real value.

Absolutely it would but how much would the Habs have to pay up to get rid of his contract with his production being so low right now.  Maybe he can turn it around and there is a better opportunity later on. 

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Yes, excellent analysis of his under-rated but significant merits.

He is just in an egregious slump right now. It’s sad.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am surprised he it not doing better with Monahan, I would expect him to do this poorly with Dvorak who also lacks HockeyIQ/Vision. 

Having him play with Evans and Pezzetta is not a bad idea. I would try it to let him build on his board/physical play and to let all the frustration out: crashing the net and being an A*hole on the ice.

I agree with this. The 4th line is a demotion, obviously, but MSL can pitch it as giving him a great environment in which to find his game. “Play with these honest grinders and work your way up.” Honestly, it’d be a hell of a 4th line with him carving up guys on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Primeau, norlinder, 2nd to Edmonton for Broberg 

Also sounds like Oilers are not strongly committed to him.

But I doubt the Oilers would do Primeau, Norlinder and a 2nd for Broberg ... with "the book out" on Primeau's glove-side I doubt they see Cayden as a solution, Norlinder is not an NHLer and apparently Edmonton isn't seeking draft picks.

Also, on 32 THOUGHTS: THE PODCAST, Elliotte Friedman (starts at 26:32) suggests the oilers want to give Campbell one more chance.