2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Another trade, LA clearing more cap room or just making room for a youngster or both? 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/los-angeles-kings-trade-defenceman-sean-durzi-to-arizona-coyotes-1.1977101

A bit of both.  They have Brandt Clarke and Jordan Spence that are probably ready for full-time duty and both make around half of what Durzi does.  The net savings are around $800,000 give or take once you put one of them on the roster but that's enough for a league-minimum player.  It's not a needle-mover for a Dubois trade though, especially since Durzi is the type of player that Winnipeg probably would have wanted as part of a return, a right-shot defender is their weak spot.

37 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like PLD is going to LA depends on contact extension 

Good to get that distraction out of the way before the draft. Once again we are used by a player to increase his salary.

So much for wants to play for the habs...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Good to get that distraction out of the way before the draft. Once again we are used by a player to increase his salary.

If the asking price was both Dach and Anderson and are 5th pick I glad they said no. In no way would I part with are 5th pick and Dach for PLD. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

If the asking price was both Dach and Anderson and are 5th pick I glad they said no. In no way would I part with are 5th pick and Dach for PLD. 

We will likely never know officially ... some RESPECTED journalist might get a whisper and share but most of that will be claimed to have been the ask will be clickbait BS.

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I think he really wanted to play for the Habs but LA was making a better offer. Simple as that. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If it’s indeed LA we’ll have a better idea of the asking price once we see what LAK is paying.

If it is indeed Vilardi + as suggested by many people (no confirmation yet) then the offer from Montreal would have to be Dach + to match. Dach also has a good contract. No need for Hughes to get into a bidding war. If indeed Dubois is going to LA then I think it's much more likely Hughes goes hard after a center in the draft. 

Bergy's always loved Dubois. The Kings have some of the best centre depth in the league, so I don't know how much sense this move makes. If he does sign a longterm deal, I'll take the odds that he'll be demanding a trade before the contract is up.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If it is indeed Vilardi + as suggested by many people (no confirmation yet) then the offer from Montreal would have to be Dach + to match. Dach also has a good contract. No need for Hughes to get into a bidding war. If indeed Dubois is going to LA then I think it's much more likely Hughes goes hard after a center in the draft. 

Agreed about not getting into a bidding war. Vilardi + is a really good return for the Jets considering the position they are in. A good young center who can slot into the second line and is only improving. See if any draft picks are also moved.

I don't feel not getting Dubois changes anything in terms of drafting a center however. Suzuki, Dach, and Beck are 3 good pieces for the future. Monahan, Evans and Dvorak as stop-gaps. I think its still take BPA. If Michkov is there at 5, take him. Certainly continue to add centers through the draft in general, but not an immediate need where you need to switch your draft plans. 

11 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

I don't feel not getting Dubois changes anything in terms of drafting a center however. Suzuki, Dach, and Beck are 3 good pieces for the future. Monahan, Evans and Dvorak as stop-gaps. I think its still take BPA. If Michkov is there at 5, take him. Certainly continue to add centers through the draft in general, but not an immediate need where you need to switch your draft plans. 

You could very well be right about that.  Let's hope Dach continues to develop and stays healthy. That would go a long way in addressing their center ice needs. 

The fact that it was reported about 8 hours ago and there hasn’t been an announcement says it’s far from a done deal.  If the contract for Dubois was the holdup, typically teams are given permission to negotiate with the player before the trade is done.

I don’t think Dubois wants to commit long term to LA, making his value more complicated.  This is just my opinion though, no actual facts behind it.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Bergy's always loved Dubois. The Kings have some of the best centre depth in the league, so I don't know how much sense this move makes. If he does sign a longterm deal, I'll take the odds that he'll be demanding a trade before the contract is up.

Kopitar probably won't be around for much longer, and Danault is already 30 as well. Although I would personally have kept Vilardi ...

Rarely does a trade of this manner get to the media like this... where the trade is reported more thena day before it happens... feeling this is a ploy to maximize montreals offer... 

Stick to your guns Hughes... NO TO Dach or its a sideways deal... backwards actually

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Don’t know who this guy is but this was a retweet by Basu who is a trusted source. 

If Dubois genuinely wants to be a Canadien then he only signs a one year contract no matter where he goes. 

We will find out soon enough 

There is a zero chance any team gives up significant assets for Dubois at this point without a long term extension in hand.  

At this point I am over Dubois.  Too much BS already.

I also think I Suzuki is the leader I want and the future at first line center. Dubois will disrupt this as well as the internal cap, he will hog the media attention and become a distraction to what is becoming a tight knit, lead-by-example, trust-the-process type of team.  I believe that is more

important than any individual accolades.

Dont get me wrong.

Would have been great to get Dubois relatively cheaply and have him show his desire to be a Hab is true by taking a team friendly extension (close to Suzuki’s), but I don’t believe that was ever a possibility.  Think it was strictly tactics, with a smidgen of truth originally.
Seems like LA deal is farther from done than reported and even if that happens, I suspect he won’t last two full seasons there before he asks out.

4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

At this point I am over Dubois.  Too much BS already.

I also think I Suzuki is the leader I want and the future at first line center. Dubois will disrupt this as well as the internal cap, he will hog the media attention and become a distraction to what is becoming a tight knit, lead-by-example, trust-the-process type of team.  I believe that is more important than any individual accolades.

That's the whole problem with Dubois - his attitude. He is a me first player. He wants to be treated and paid like a first line center on a good team and that just isn't what he is. He is 25 years old with a 63 point career best season and has twice given up on being part of a team. If someone wants to pay him like a #1, let them. If the Kings aren't willing to commit to him as such and no other team does either, then maybe it humbled him and he's someone to work with as a good #2 at a reasonable price.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic