2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

Skinner is not great, but seems fairly consistent. Eye test only. No stats. Ekholm was a very good addition. Bjukstad seems solid on the 3rd line. Boucher has improved. I think this year's team is better than last years. Especially with Hyman and Nuge playing so well.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I actually tend to see the Bruins as an “ace in the hole” in the event that the Leafs get past Tampa. So I’m happy that they seem unstoppable. This attitude will change if and when the Leafs are eliminated, but for now, let the Bruins be a juggernaut positioned to impede any deep playoff run by TO.

Well, in regards to your other posts comment of wanting to see the Leafs be eliminated in the most excruciatingly and humiliatingly way: I think that would be the Leafs beating the Bolts and then knocking out the Booins.  If the Leafs manage to do that, all Leafs fans will be convinced that this is their year and they are going to win the Cup.  Meanwhile, they'll completely spent and will get bounced in 4 gms in rnd 3.  

37 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Don’t really know why but I want the oilers to bust and if I look at that list and think 🤔 if the leafs make it…which team can beat them?

Selfishly, I don't really want to see the Oilers win either because I've had a prediction for a very long time.  i.e. the Habs were the last Canadian team to win the Cup, and that they'll be the next Canadian team to win.  I've thought that for decades and I haven't been wrong yet.   The Habs are still on track for my prediction of a 40 year Cup reunion in 2026.  

21 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, in regards to your other posts comment of wanting to see the Leafs be eliminated in the most excruciatingly and humiliatingly way: I think that would be the Leafs beating the Bolts and then knocking out the Booins.  If the Leafs manage to do that, all Leafs fans will be convinced that this is their year and they are going to win the Cup.  Meanwhile, they'll completely spent and will get bounced in 4 gms in rnd 3. 

In that scenario (I still favour another 7th-game, first-round loss after being up 3-1 in the series), the series clinching goal should be scored by Seth Jarvise, who the Hurricanes selected with the first-round pick the Leafs gave up to get rid of Patrick Marleau.

I strongly prefer the Leafs being bounced in the first round. That could lead to a senior management over reaction that could have catastrophic consequences for their team. 
Also, after much deliberation, I have reluctantly decided to hope for a monumental upset by Florida, draft pick be damned. The only two outcomes that will make me happy this playoffs is both the Leafs and Bruins losing. But in fact, the only NHL action I’m likely to watch is the draft lottery 

21 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Also, after much deliberation, I have reluctantly decided to hope for a monumental upset by Florida, draft pick be damned. The only two outcomes that will make me happy this playoffs is both the Leafs and Bruins losing.

I care much less about this season’s playoffs than the Habs’ future, so, for me, a Florida loss is what really matters.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I care much less about this season’s playoffs than the Habs’ future, so, for me, a Florida loss is what really matters.

That is a much more rational approach but I’m going with bile not reason. 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That is how I feel as well but I understand the joy many Habs fans would feel in seeing the Bruins go down. Jack Edwards would be fun to watch. I think the Bruins will win the series but all the pressure is on them especially after the season they had. Anything can happen. 

5 hours ago, PMAC said:

I strongly prefer the Leafs being bounced in the first round. That could lead to a senior management over reaction that could have catastrophic consequences for their team. 
Also, after much deliberation, I have reluctantly decided to hope for a monumental upset by Florida, draft pick be damned. The only two outcomes that will make me happy this playoffs is both the Leafs and Bruins losing. But in fact, the only NHL action I’m likely to watch is the draft lottery 

Agree, also prefer to see both Bruins/Leafs simply lose in 1st round, period!

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This crap needs to be addressed 

Same for all teams and all GMs will play games to make the $$ work under the cap, thats exactly the way the majority of the owners want it to work i assume.

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Maybe it's just a coincidence that he got all better just as the playoffs were starting?

The reality is that most of these players are seriously injured and unable to play at the deadline. 

So do you leave space open for them to play the last 3-5 games of the season when they are healthy. 

Or do you replace them, knowing you will get the replacement for the last 20 games of the regular season, and then can activate them game 1 of the playoffs if healthy.

There is no evidence that healthy players are going on IR.

The evidence is that they could have been activated a week or two before playoffs (Kane, Stone, Kucherov) but the teams can't clear the cap space to activate them. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The reality is that most of these players are seriously injured and unable to play at the deadline. 

So do you leave space open for them to play the last 3-5 games of the season when they are healthy. 

Or do you replace them, knowing you will get the replacement for the last 20 games of the regular season, and then can activate them game 1 of the playoffs if healthy.

There is no evidence that healthy players are going on IR.

The evidence is that they could have been activated a week or two before playoffs (Kane, Stone, Kucherov) but the teams can't clear the cap space to activate them. 

100% agree ... perhaps some adjustment COULD be made ... enforce the integrity of LTIR being for players truly unable to play by making players return once healthy or they have to sit out the playoffs (or at least the first round of the playoffs) ... AND ... transfer the cap hit for the game(s) played after coming off LTIR to the following season ... teams get relief for serious injuries but pay a price.

Of course, even if owners (BoG) want to try it then requires NHLPA approval as it is a CBA change ... wonder what they would want?

On 4/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, Sir_Boagalott said:

Selfishly, I don't really want to see the Oilers win either because I've had a prediction for a very long time.  i.e. the Habs were the last Canadian team to win the Cup, and that they'll be the next Canadian team to win.  I've thought that for decades and I haven't been wrong yet.   The Habs are still on track for my prediction of a 40 year Cup reunion in 2026.  

The flaw in my post was that “excruciating” and “humiliating” are distinct categories, LOL. Yes, losing in Game 7 OT of the Finals is excruciating (or at least, I imagine it to be). However, if that happens, we will be hearing about the Great Tragic Leafs Run of 2023 for the rest of our lives, with Ron Maclean tearing up with sorrowful love for his heroes and the entire “national” media apparatus portraying it as the greatest, most pathos-laden event in hockey history. For decades, we will be hearing the series lovingly referred to as the moment Canada lost, the Leafs heroes celebrated for their heroic if ultimately failed efforts, etc., etc..

This from the same people who were happy as clams when the thug Bruins beat the superb Canucks in 2011 and who didn’t give a sh*t when the Habs made the Finals in 2021. Real “Canadian” fans.  

Plus - importantly - the experience will make the Leafs an even better, more battle-hardened, Cup-ready team the following season.

No frigging thanks.

So I will prioritize “humiliating” over “excruciating.” Let TB win 4-0 by a score of 12-0 every game. 

(It won’t happen, but that would be my ideal outcome).

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Danault the assist on the PPG that sent it to overtime!

LA is a really good team and will give the Oilers all they can handle if not beat them.  One thing LA has going for them is 2 of the best defensive centers in the league (Danault and Kopitar). Nobody can completely shut down McDavid but LA has the personnel to make it difficult for him. 

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Danault the assist on the PPG that sent it to overtime!

Great play to even get that pass on net. What a steal that contract is turning out to be.

Heartbreaker for the Oilers. What was Nurse doing on the winning goal in OT?

So fun to have playoff hockey and basketball back!

17 hours ago, GHT120 said:

100% agree ... perhaps some adjustment COULD be made ... enforce the integrity of LTIR being for players truly unable to play by making players return once healthy or they have to sit out the playoffs (or at least the first round of the playoffs) ... AND ... transfer the cap hit for the game(s) played after coming off LTIR to the following season ... teams get relief for serious injuries but pay a price.

Of course, even if owners (BoG) want to try it then requires NHLPA approval as it is a CBA change ... wonder what they would want?

There are a few ways this could be addressed.

One has already had sight traction in the BOG meetings, which is having a playoff salary cap.  So the roster could be over the cap, but the players playing in the game must be under the agreed soon cap.

Another other one is players on LTIR would have their injury updates sent to an independent physician to review the progress.  To make sure teams aren’t keeping players on LTIR for cap related reasons and only for injury related purposes.

As for players returning at the start of the playoffs that aren’t healthy enough to play, as @Commandant pointed out  The league should implement an independent review for activating any player from LTIR, regardless of when it is during the year.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

There are a few ways this could be addressed.

One has already had sight traction in the BOG meetings, which is having a playoff salary cap.  So the roster could be over the cap, but the players playing in the game must be under the agreed soon cap.

Another other one is players on LTIR would have their injury updates sent to an independent physician to review the progress.  To make sure teams aren’t keeping players on LTIR for cap related reasons and only for injury related purposes.

As for players returning at the start of the playoffs that aren’t healthy enough to play, as @Commandant pointed out  The league should implement an independent review for activating any player from LTIR, regardless of when it is during the year.

But there would remain the issue of how a team becomes cap compliant if a LTIR players returns early.

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What is happening in Toronto? LOL

3-0 after the first…hopefully the bolts sweep 🧹 the series 

Watching them get booed off the ice at the end of the 1st put such a smile on my face. 

• Like 1