2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

30 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Watching them get booed off the ice at the end of the 1st put such a smile on my face. 

Watch-out 3-2 now young fella.

4-2  5-2 thats better, all good now.

GO Rangers...i guess.

15 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

What a tire fire!!

Just thank god Leafs lost with their fans booing away (i heard it said anyways).:D

Not sure they wont still win series, but fun start.

(dirty hit by that Leaf, buddy was laid right out.)

The Leafs just didn't seem ready tonight for whatever reason.  It's just 1 game but they better be ready for the next one.  Just a cheap, stupid hit by Bunting, no excuse for that.  Could be problems for Tampa if Cernak and Hedman are out for any length of time. 

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But there would remain the issue of how a team becomes cap compliant if a LTIR players returns early.

The CBA already addresses those issues with fines, draft pick confiscation, restriction on player signings and voiding of contracts.  Each for their own situations.  

Right now teams are being rewarded for circumventing the cap by creatively breaking other rules.  The NHL has very little apathy for enforcing its own rules.

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is there pressure on the Leafs tomorrow night?   

No doubt. The humiliation last night may work to their advantage in kicking them into “desperation” mode earlier than usual. Then again, that group has a disastrous history with must-win situations, so who knows.

What worries me is the injuries on Tampa, especially to Hedman. If he is out, I cannot believe TB will win, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The CBA already addresses those issues with fines, draft pick confiscation, restriction on player signings and voiding of contracts.  Each for their own situations.  

Right now teams are being rewarded for circumventing the cap by creatively breaking other rules.  The NHL has very little apathy for enforcing its own rules.

None of those actually allow the team to become compliant if a player unexpectedly (whether actually unexpected or planned) becomes healthy enough to play before the playoffs.

The "solution" may be getting an independent assessment of how long a players injury is expected to keep them out before placing able to place them on LTIR ... after all, the only point of putting a player on LTIR is to be able to use the cap space ... if the player isn't independently determined to be reasonably expected to be gone for the season then they would not be LTIR eligible ... then if a player is healthy for Game 1 of the playoffs it is luck, not circumvention.

But it is all irrelevant, as I doubt any NHL BoG representative would even suggest LTIR changes, let alone there being enough of them who would support the idea if another team did.

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

None of those actually allow the team to become compliant if a player unexpectedly (whether actually unexpected or planned) becomes healthy enough to play before the playoffs.

The "solution" may be getting an independent assessment of how long a players injury is expected to keep them out before placing able to place them on LTIR ... after all, the only point of putting a player on LTIR is to be able to use the cap space ... if the player isn't independently determined to be reasonably expected to be gone for the season then they would not be LTIR eligible ... then if a player is healthy for Game 1 of the playoffs it is luck, not circumvention.

But it is all irrelevant, as I doubt any NHL BoG representative would even suggest LTIR changes, let alone there being enough of them who would support the idea if another team did.

LTIR is simply 24 days or 8 games though.  It doesn't have to be season ending. 

The issue is that when its earlier in the season, teams are willing to use the LTIR space for callups and then send those players down, clear the space and reactivate the player.

When a star player like a Patrick Kane or Kucherov or Stone is going to miss a couple months and its trade deadline time, and they maybe can come back for 5 games or something, teams have chosen to leave them out til the end of the season and replace them with another player. 

The league's philosophy on this seems to be, if you can make the playoffs without your best player (or one of your best players) more power to you.  

Lets not forget that this backfired on the Golden Knights last year as they missed the playoffs without Mark Stone. 

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

LTIR isn't just for players believed to be out for the season though.  If a player in October separates his shoulder and is out for four months, they'd get no relief and if they're cap-strapped, couldn't bring anyone up if it was changed to be determinant on being out for the season.  

There isn't an easy fix for this one.  You could argue saying that a team's dressed lineup for a playoff game must be cap-compliant but even that isn't a great idea.  You could create a season-ending LTIR (spend up to the full contract) versus a non-season-ending LTIR (spend up to a fixed amount that basically amounts to affording a recall from the minors) with different rules for each but that opens up another can of worms for teams to try to circumvent.  

The problem with an independent determination is that two completely independent doctors can come to completely different conclusions.  One might look at an injury and say surgery is needed.  The other might look at it and say they think there's a chance the ligament can heal sufficiently with rest and rehab.  How can a case be made that one is more right than the other?  The league actually does look at LTIR submissions but considering they're signed off on by a qualified medical practitioner, how can they conceivably overrule it saying that their doctor says your doctor is wrong?

I didn't say LTIR was only for players out for the season.

The "issue" that most often arises is when LTIR is used for a player "expected" to be out for the season, who then becomes healthy enough to play before the season ends but because LTIR was used to replace the player it is not possible to make room under the cap for that player to return ... but simultaneously that player no longer really qualifies for LTIR ... typically, it involves a playoff team and an impact player ... with their return for the playoffs perceived by many as an abuse of the LTIR system.

*** IF *** the NHL wanted to resolve the issue then some means needs to be developed to either prevent the scenario from happening (as much as possible, acknowledging that unexpected/"miraculous" cures/healing can occur) or to have sufficient "same season" penalties/impacts to discourage the oft-claimed knowing/informed abuse ... I've just been spit-balling ideas. 

BUT, it is an issue that I do not believe the NHL wants to address in any case.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I didn't say LTIR was only for players out for the season.

The "issue" that most often arises is when LTIR is used for a player "expected" to be out for the season, who then becomes healthy enough to play before the season ends but because LTIR was used to replace the player it is not possible to make room under the cap for that player to return ... but simultaneously that player no longer really qualifies for LTIR ... typically, it involves a playoff team and an impact player ... with their return for the playoffs perceived by many as an abuse of the LTIR system.

*** IF *** the NHL wanted to resolve the issue then some means needs to be developed to either prevent the scenario from happening (as much as possible, acknowledging that unexpected/"miraculous" cures/healing can occur) or to have sufficient "same season" penalties/impacts to discourage the oft-claimed knowing/informed abuse ... I've just been spit-balling ideas. 

BUT, it is an issue that I do not believe the NHL wants to address in any case.

I think you’re focusing too much on how the teams are going to be compliant and not on the real issue.  

The purposes of LTIR is to allow cap flexibility to replace roster players with non-minor injuries, when the team is against the cap.  

At no point is LTIR supposed to be used or keep healthy players out of the lineup.  If the player is healthy enough to play, the only thing that should be keeping them out of the lineup is the coaching staff, not cap related issues.  Also the quality of the replacement doesn’t have to be near the player being replaced.

If a player returns earlier than expected, the team has the options of sending players to the minors to removed up to $1m cap hit or trading a player to become cap compliant.  Assuming the returning player puts the team over the cap.  Both situations are on a team to control.  Even players coming back early have an advanced warning as to how well the injury is progressing.

How the team will be compliant is solely on the team to figure out, as they put themselves in the situation.  Leaving a healthy player on LTIR for cap purposes was never supposed to be why teams have LTIR.

I haven't given this a lot of thought so there are probably some unintended consequences but I think I would consider a rule that any player on LTIR for any time after the trade deadline is not eligible for the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I haven't given this a lot of thought so there are probably some unintended consequences but I think I would consider a rule that any player on LTIR for any time after the trade deadline is not eligible for the playoffs. 

Seems very boring stuff. (no offense intended Mr Puck)

Again, still seems a level playing field for all teams, if majority of players/owners dont like this, it would change...i assume.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, the Panthers up 1-0 mid-way, i dont like it! 

1-1 Yaaah Bruins :1vomit:

Eric Staal makes it 2-1 BOOoo!

Florida is playing well and the Bruins have had some bad giveaways.  The Bruins look beatable.  This Stanley Cup is a crap shoot. 

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Florida is playing well and the Bruins have had some bad giveaways.  The Bruins look beatable.  This Stanley Cup is a crap shoot. 

Yup, quickly 3-2 4-2 Panthers in the 3rd period.

Carolina vs Islanders into OT, i guess pulling for Islanders.

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Skinner is looking to lose Edmonton this series.  Both goals he's allowed so far tonight were from not being tight to his posts. 

Overall, there hasn't been a lot of spectacular goaltending yet in the first few nights of playoff hockey: I think the goalie save percentages are way off their regular-season norm.