Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

Sounds good to me.

"Even if their eventual pre-season games suggest they need more development time, the good news is that they’re gaining invaluable experience, and looking like they belong in the process."

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/habs-camp-scrimmage-highlights-joshua-roy-owen-beck-logan-mailloux-xhekaj-lineup/

I assume if Habs didnt take Mailloux, there was still zero chance he wouldnt be drafted by some NHL GM that year?

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/columnists/jack-todd-canadiens-have-transformed-into-a-cutting-edge-organization

"In taking Mailloux, former GM Marc Bergevin and scouting director Trevor Timmins behaved as though it were 1951, not 2021. Both were veteran executives who should have known better, but they displayed a level of tunnel vision comparable to that of Stan Bowman and Joel Quenneville in Chicago, the organization that nurtured Bergevin. Even the teenage Mailloux proved more astute and less tone deaf when he asked that he not be drafted."

All this media opinion pieces are posturing.

the Canadiens organization had the best resources and history to turn Mailloux into a great resemption project.

He did something wrong, paid his sentence to society but was overly chastised on social media despite wanting to redeem himself

I am glad for thé kid and I Hope he can develop his hockey talent as much as he has developed in maturity and awareness 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that MB is an old-school guy complete with all the appalling attitudes of the breed. But listen, if Mailloux hits and turns into an impact defenceman, nobody will be complaining about Bergevin's "tunnel vision." 🙄 Also, we now know that what Mailloux did is - if not par for the course - then all too lamentably typical of junior hockey players. In that sense, what Bergevin really did was cut through a bunch of PR bullcrap from a pack of hypocritical NHL managers who don't actually care if a player is a misogynist POS unless he gets caught. The whole hoo-haw around that decision, however, was ultimately a good thing because it forced the Habs to take the problem of rehabilitating Mailloux seriously. 

• Like 1

Some team would of picked Mailloux after if Montreal didn't.  It's the NHL, they've proven time and time again they don't care about players behavior until the press becomes too bad.  It's the reason players form the 2 WJC sexual assault allegations haven't been named and some are/were playing in the NHL even after the allegations were made public.  It's how coaches like Babcock get hired again, and the whole Blackhawks sexual assault debacle was hidden for so long.  The only thing they care about is winning, until the press is bad enough that they need to act.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no doubt that MB is an old-school guy complete with all the appalling attitudes of the breed. But listen, if Mailloux hits and turns into an impact defenceman, nobody will be complaining about Bergevin's "tunnel vision." 🙄 Also, we now know that what Mailloux did is - if not par for the course - then all too lamentably typical of junior hockey players. In that sense, what Bergevin really did was cut through a bunch of PR bullcrap from a pack of hypocritical NHL managers who don't actually care if a player is a misogynist POS unless he gets caught. The whole hoo-haw around that decision, however, was ultimately a good thing because it forced the Habs to take the problem of rehabilitating Mailloux seriously. 

Do you really think there was any hope in hell if Mailloux rehabilitating or becoming a legit NHL player under MB?  I can’t recall a single player that was drafted and developed successfully under his tenure other than Lekhonan- and even he was rushed in - had a good start, always played hard, but floundered in finding consistency in his production, until the trip to the finals. Even then, MB offered the long term deal to the wrong Finn. Sticking with his size fetish over the skilled hard working one. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

All this media opinion pieces are posturing.

the Canadiens organization had the best resources and history to turn Mailloux into a great resemption project.

He did something wrong, paid his sentence to society but was overly chastised on social media despite wanting to redeem himself

I am glad for thé kid and I Hope he can develop his hockey talent as much as he has developed in maturity and awareness 

Good post.  I think we all want Mailloux to turn things around, good for society if he does and good for the Habs. I get the heat MB took for drafting him but there is absolutely no doubt that some other team would have drafted him if the Habs didn't. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/canadiens-vs-devils-lines-roster-debuts-for-alex-newhook-david-reinbacher-mailloux-beck-roy/

"The top pairing will be Kaiden Guhle and David Reinbacher, a true test for the young duo. Arber Xhekaj will play with Justin Barron while Logan Mailloux will play with Jordan Harris."

56 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/canadiens-vs-devils-lines-roster-debuts-for-alex-newhook-david-reinbacher-mailloux-beck-roy/

"The top pairing will be Kaiden Guhle and David Reinbacher, a true test for the young duo. Arber Xhekaj will play with Justin Barron while Logan Mailloux will play with Jordan Harris."

I hope Reinbacker looks great tonight. Maybe that would silence the pick 5 complaints. 

Excited to see if Slaf, Newhook, Anderson can dominate tonight. Preseason and all but at least they are facing NHL competition. 

Anyone know if this is on YouTube again?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hope Reinbacker looks great tonight. Maybe that would silence the pick 5 complaints. 

Excited to see if Slaf, Newhook, Anderson can dominate tonight. Preseason and all but at least they are facing NHL competition. 

Anyone know if this is on YouTube again?

Not sure about YouTube, but it’s on the radio TSN 690

7 hours ago, DON said:

Nice to hear Burrows is quite impressed with Davidson, was curious how he would look.

I watched Davidson a few games during the WHL playoffs, thought he had a tremendous work ethic but it seemed to me his skating was average at best. Certainly expectations weren't high as he was a 5th round pick and I think he was completely passed over the year before.

4 hours ago, PMAC said:

And RDS

6 hours ago, PMAC said:

There are definitely streams for it.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I watched Davidson a few games during the WHL playoffs, thought he had a tremendous work ethic but it seemed to me his skating was average at best. Certainly expectations weren't high as he was a 5th round pick and I think he was completely passed over the year before.

Davidson looks like he has a really good shot.

D'oh, I'd rather see Logan with Kaiden because he'd be able to cover for Logan defensive mishaps better than the other dmen.  

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight's postgame: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/habs-doubled-up-by-devils-to-start-preseason/

(I don't think we'll have one for every preseason game but I decided to sit down and do tonight's.)

Thanks for the update on the game as I didn't get to see it. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight's postgame: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/habs-doubled-up-by-devils-to-start-preseason/

(I don't think we'll have one for every preseason game but I decided to sit down and do tonight's.)

Thats a good recap of the game.

I thought Ylonen's penalty was weak.  Sure he hit the Devils stick with his own but I didn't believe that it was worthy of a penalty.  He hit the guy's stick fairly high up near the hands but I'm fairly certain he didn't make contact with the player at all.

Roy had a good game and almost scored several times.  He was in the right spot on his goal but I give more credit to Simoneau because he was aware enough to look for and pass to the wide open Roy.   I was more impressed with the pass than the shot itself.   Plus, part of my reason is that we all expect Roy to be an NHLer but how many predict Simoneau will be?  He's small but apparently he has a decent hockey IQ that he might eventually make it.  

Monty looked good except for that super fluky goal that hit his skate then popped up in the air and went in on a bounce off his ass.  Dobes didn't look bad either.  

Anderson definitely looked great and had potential for a hattrick.  He hit the post and had 2 other near misses. 

Mailloux welcomed Toffoli back by giving him a nice hard hit that knocked him on his ass.  

Beck seems to have an insatiable need to get the puck when he's back checking.  He is relentless when he is chasing after players and hounding them from behind until they lose the puck.

Nice to hear Mailloux & Roy stood out.

Hope he can produce in Laval and be better than a Wideman defending.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/joshua-roy-highlights-montreal-canadiens-roster-preseason-devils-reaction-podcast/

"It wasn’t a perfect outing for Mailloux, but encouraging to say the least. In particular, he appeared more reserved in his ventures up ice, playing well off his teammates instead of trying to do too much on his own. His tool box is one that few players have, and if he puts everything together, he could be a very interesting option for the Habs before long."

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I am so glad to see Beck is getting some love, because you al lkno whow much I like that kid.

Happy hockey is back!

Tonight I felt like Ghule was the best hab. He had a great game. Gignac was noticeably good. I bet he gets another look or 2. Norlinder had a pretty good game. Slafkovsky has looked much better when he gets touches. Firstly he's getting a lot if touches. secondly, he's looking dangerous and making good choices when he gets them. 

I was at the game yesterday.

I agree with people in here.  I thought  Slaf was among the best (made dangerous plays in the offensive zone though)  and I liked Trudeau a lot. He was everywhere, giving it all. Felt like a dman version of Belzile. 

I thought we'd see a bit more from Mesar. Bit dissapointed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I was at the game yesterday.

I agree with people in here.  I thought  Slaf was among the best (made dangerous plays in the offensive zone though)  and I liked Trudeau a lot. He was everywhere, giving it all. Felt like a dman version of Belzile. 

I thought we'd see a bit more from Mesar. Bit dissapointed.

thanks for the update.

How did Monahan look to you?

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I tried something different for a postgame format last night - any feedback (good or bad) is appreciated to see if this is a style we'd like to switch to regularly, some of the time, or not at all.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/ten-thoughts-habs-snap-a-long-preseason-winless-streak/

LIKE it