Injury news

Commandant

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

WTF

Why are we so cursed? 💩

Yeah. From what he showed in that first game, I thought he may be able unsurp Suzuki from the top line by the end of the year.

now I’m just hoping he isn’t going to end up being one of those players who never reach their potential because of constant injuries. Has he had an injury free year yet?

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Wow! Haven’t even had a full first week of hockey, and already some big injuries.

are we going to be in long term

purgatory for hiring morons like Houle, Tremblay, MB and Therrien in the past?

Dach isn't at their level yet, but 30 years of major injuries to key players is getting old.

Koivu: knee. Never the same

Markov: several years of knee.

Price: knee. 

Weber: Foot ankle

Other teams get decades with healthy key players.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Dach isn't at their level yet, but 30 years of major injuries to key players is getting old.

4 key players over 30 years dosent sound horrible or likely much different from any sports team.

And all 4 had good careers anyways.

But, just when we all hoped Dach headed for a 70pt season, it is crappy news for sure and set-backs for Heineman-Reinbacher as well. Hope two not long-term injuries or 'surgery' needed. 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let's see if the new medical team is any better at getting players back from injury:

I'd like them to push back harder on players who may be trying to come back too quickly.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the first three are the really telling cases. Koivu was near the league lead in scoring before his injury and never came close to that afterward. So: potential superstar detailed by injury.

Markov was THE key player over his tenure here, the franchise defenceman. He came back after losing two seasons, but was never the same.

Price was a superstar goalie who had led us to the semi-finals, and quite possibly would have led us to the Finals, in 2014, before the knee injury; and we were tearing up the league in 2016 after finishing 2nd overall in 2015 before his injury resurfaced and cost him the entire year. So: potential Finals appearance derailed by injury to franchise player; season and contending window lost to injury to franchise player; franchise player permanently compromised.

So, our three most important players of the past 30 years have all had serious, career-compromising injuries in ways the seriously damaged the organization.

This does happen to other teams sometimes - TB with Stamkos, for example - but I do feel we've been dealt a particularly bad hand by the hockey gods over these years when it comes to injuries.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

now I’m just hoping he isn’t going to end up being one of those players who neve reach their potential because of constant injuries. Has he had an injury free year yet?

I have the same fear. 

This really sucks.

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

reports are that it's both ACL and MCL tears

yep, all indications ..ACL tear .. he is out for the season.. even with an Allograft using a cadaver Achilles tendon to replace ( procedure I had done by DR. Reid , at the time the Oilers Orthopedic surgeon) it's minimum 6 to 8 months.

Very unfortunate.

If there is cartilage issues that complicates it. MCL , depending if 2nd or 3rd degree , doesn't require surgery and it's 6 to 8 weeks.

ACL is major. Here is to speedy recovery and back for the 2024/25 season ( if it's a total tear of the ACL )

2 hours ago, DON said:

4 key players over 30 years dosent sound horrible or likely much different from any sports team.

And all 4 had good careers anyways.

But, just when we all hoped Dach headed for a 70pt season, it is crappy news for sure and set-backs for Heineman-Reinbacher as well. Hope two not long-term injuries or 'surgery' needed. 

Don’t forgot Zednik showing signs said being the scoring power forward we needed before being almost decapitated by the Bruins.  

13 minutes ago, HabsWEST said:

yep, all indications ..ACL tear .. he is out for the season.. even with an Allograft using a cadaver Achilles tendon to replace ( procedure I had done by DR. Reid , at the time the Oilers Orthopedic surgeon) it's minimum 6 to 8 months.

Very unfortunate.

If there is cartilage issues that complicates it. MCL , depending if 2nd or 3rd degree , doesn't require surgery and it's 6 to 8 weeks.

ACL is major. Here is to speedy recovery and back for the 2024/25 season ( if it's a total tear of the ACL )

We’ll also much for my optimism of us having potentially five 20 goal scorers this season!

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t forgot Zednik showing signs said being the scoring power forward we needed before being almost decapitated by the Bruins.  

Zednik is a good example. Was his emergence a mirage, or did the brutal clotheslining he got mess up his trajectory? A classic case of a "never the same" again player, perhaps because he got a lot more cautious about going into traffic thereafter. Also concussions were not well understood at the time; maybe he was damaged goods.

He was not a developing player, but it always irritated me that we acquired Donald Audette as a legitimate scoring threat on a team that desperately needed it...only to have him have his arm severed, like, five games into his time with us, never again to be an effective player.

Neither guy is in the category of Koivu (potential compromised), Markov (prime years lost, subsequently diminished), and above all Price (Cup windows destroyed). 

The Dach injury sounds absolutely catastrophic. I'm not a medical doctor, but my guess is we will be lucky if he ever fulfills his considerable potential now. Too much development time lost, too severe an injury, is my fear.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Zednik is a good example. Was his emergence a mirage, or did the brutal clotheslining he got mess up his trajectory? A classic case of a "never the same" again player, perhaps because he got a lot more cautious about going into traffic thereafter. Also concussions were not well understood at the time; maybe he was damaged goods.

He was not a developing player, but it always irritated me that we acquired Donald Audette as a legitimate scoring threat on a team that desperately needed it...only to have him have his arm severed, like, five games into his time with us, never again to be an effective player.

Neither guy is in the category of Koivu (potential compromised), Markov (prime years lost, subsequently diminished), and above all Price (Cup windows destroyed). 

The Dach injury sounds absolutely catastrophic. I'm not a medical doctor, but my guess is we will be lucky if he ever fulfills his considerable potential now. Too much development time lost, too severe an injury, is my fear.

I wouldnt go that far... hockey is a very easy sport on the knees right off the hop. If he is lucky and has no damage to his meniscus then he should be back fully for next season. 

What procedure is chosen will go a long way to how is recovery goes.

Having it happen during a developmental growth year is what really sucks. 

Let's hope there's some good news coming out of this catastrophe 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Suzuki

Caufield

Newhook

Slav

Monahan 

Roy

I counted 6

I don’t have Monohan, Slafkovsky, or Roy, but had Anderson.

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I wouldnt go that far... hockey is a very easy sport on the knees right off the hop. If he is lucky and has no damage to his meniscus then he should be back fully for next season. 

What procedure is chosen will go a long way to how is recovery goes.

Having it happen during a developmental growth year is what really sucks. 

Let's hope there's some good news coming out of this catastrophe 

There a difference in just coming back from a knee injury, and coming back and being able to play at the same speed. Koivu never had the same speed after blowing out his knee.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There a difference in just coming back from a knee injury, and coming back and being able to play at the same speed. Koivu never had the same speed after blowing out his knee.

Knee surgeries/ rehabilitation have evolved significantly in the last 27 years ... Koivu also managed to return after only 32 games, to finish the season and dress for the playoffs (too soon for a full recovery????) ... I'll wait until he is back next season to start worrying about "maybes".

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I lived it... with a full rupture of ACL LCL and bruised fem cond. No meniscus damage.

The choice between cadaver, patella or semi tend.  reconstruction will go along way in determining his full recovery if it is even a full rupture.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's true. There have been medical advancements but I fear the worst and will hope for the best. 

The Leafs lost, so a little more good news tonight. 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Its been 25 years.  Knee surgeries have gotten a lot better.

For context on 25 years, todays surgery methods to Koivu, are the same as Koivu's surgery was to Bobby Orr (also 20+ years).  Its not the same thing 

There are players today who blew out acls and came back fine.

Shayne Gostisbehere tore his ACL as a 21 year old AHLer and hes one of the more mobile defencemen in the league.

Zach Hyman didnt lose anything at all in his game.

Tomas Hertl tore ACL and MCL.

Anders Lee is another.

Joe Thornton