Game #5 Oct. 23, Canadiens vs Sabres, 7 PM

dlbalr

Scrappy little team I tell ya!!

Savard got blitzed on that last PK. Two massively painful blocked shots and a rogue skate blade to boot. 

if Pearson and Monahan stay healthy they will bring back a great return. 

Then again, at this pace we might not wanna move them. 

Allen was locked in, d corp was on point. 

Xhekaj continues to be very underrated imo. 

2 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

... Then again, at this pace we might not wanna move them ...

HuGo are committed to the rebuild ... unless the Habs are CLOSE to the playoffs/wildcard I doubt they deviate from the plan.

10 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Scrappy little team I tell ya!!

Savard got blitzed on that last PK. Two massively painful blocked shots and a rogue skate blade to boot. 

if Pearson and Monahan stay healthy they will bring back a great return. 

Then again, at this pace we might not wanna move them. 

Allen was locked in, d corp was on point. 

Xhekaj continues to be very underrated imo. 

That shift by Savard was absolutely epic.

I don't think Buffalo is all they're cracked up to be, if I'm being honest. Not great in their own end, it seems to me, based on this game.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky is going to be a special player. He is completely transformed from last season. 

It’s so visible. he looks good. My co worker saying he had a bad game. I didn’t see that at all. He is getting way more touches, and making way better choices with those touches.

Big fan of what Newhook is bringing to the team. He seems to have settled in well. 

If only Anderson's brain worked as fast as his feet, he would be some player. 

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It’s so visible. he looks good. My co worker saying he had a bad game. I didn’t see that at all. He is getting way more touches, and making way better choices with those touches.

I thought he coasted a little too much in this game... hes a big boy and can skate, so I'd like to see him press a bit more and keep those feet moving and two hands on his stick more often away from the puck. But LY to TY is already night and day after just 5 games.

2 hours ago, brindavis said:

If only Anderson's brain worked as fast as his feet, he would be some player. 

Was thinking same in that game; we all know what he brings, speed size physicality toughness good shot; but, Hockey IQ just aint it

But if it was, he would be one expensive player.

Sabres seemed bit weak or just playing poorly?

Habs gave up zero 5on5 goals.

Nice shift by Savard on the PK.

Gallagher has had 2 solid games (1 dumb penalty, it happens), 1g1a and just 11:14 nice.

Pearson 1g1a 6 shots, 5pt in 5 games, off to a flying start.

Allen would like the 1 goal back (he was cheating a bit anticipating a pass am guessing) but another solid game.

Lots of positives

I think that the key with Gallagher moving forward will be to keep his playing time below 14 minutes per game! That way, we can get the most out of him!

3 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I think that the key with Gallagher moving forward will be to keep his playing time below 14 minutes per game! That way, we can get the most out of him!

on RDS, they were saying that it seems MSL is trying to keep his ice time between 10min and 12min, with some power play. He has done well when keeping his shifts to less than 45 seconds.

As heartening as Slaf and Newhook have been - as have Wifi (showing zero let-up from last season) and Kovacevic - it’s really been the veterans driving the bus lately. This is why I said at the start of the season that our FW unit is actually quite good, IF it stays healthy. Monahan is a hell of a hockey player; Gally, if healthy and well-managed, can still contribute; Pearson is a good FW; etc.. The problem will kick in when those guys go down with their inevitable significant injuries. Until then, I expect the Habs to be pretty competitive.

I notice little concern on this board about Suzuki. I find something seems to be off with his shot - it seems less dangerous somehow. I don’t know if he’s just in a mini-slump, or is playing through something, or what.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I notice little concern on this board about Suzuki. I find something seems to be off with his shot - it seems less dangerous somehow. I don’t know if he’s just in a mini-slump, or is playing through something, or what.

I'm not going to dig into the new NHL Edge site to see if this is correct but just from watching, it seems like he's shooting from a greater distance than usual.  His shot isn't a high-end one to begin with (not that it's bad, just good) so if he's from further out, it won't be as dangerous.  He's off to a slow start but that line has had some success with Caufield scoring so with that trio producing, he gets some wiggle room to work out of this.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not going to dig into the new NHL Edge site to see if this is correct but just from watching, it seems like he's shooting from a greater distance than usual.  His shot isn't a high-end one to begin with (not that it's bad, just good) so if he's from further out, it won't be as dangerous.  He's off to a slow start but that line has had some success with Caufield scoring so with that trio producing, he gets some wiggle room to work out of this.

Not sure RHP is the answer for that line either and that’s not helping Suzuki. 

I think they need a great passer and a good puck possession game. At least that’s what seemed to work with Dach last year. 

Slafkofsky might be that guy

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure RHP is the answer for that line either and that’s not helping Suzuki. 

I think they need a great passer and a good puck possession game. At least that’s what seemed to work with Dach last year. 

Slafkofsky might be that guy

Is Monahan an option to move from centre when Dvorak comes back?

And is Suzuki deferring to Caufield too much?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Is Monahan an option to move from centre when Dvorak comes back?

While Monahan would be a great fit I think he should centre the second line with Newhook, Anderson on his wings. 

Or do we think Newhook has long term centre in his future?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

I think we are over analyzing.  Last year Suzuki got off to a great start and then cooled off considerably.  This year he has 3 points in 5 games, too early to worry too much. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As heartening as Slaf and Newhook have been - as have Wifi (showing zero let-up from last season) and Kovacevic - it’s really been the veterans driving the bus lately. This is why I said at the start of the season that our FW unit is actually quite good, IF it stays healthy. Monahan is a hell of a hockey player; Gally, if healthy and well-managed, can still contribute; Pearson is a good FW; etc.. The problem will kick in when those guys go down with their inevitable significant injuries. Until then, I expect the Habs to be pretty competitive.

I don’t know if it’s so much that there is something of with Suzuki’s shot so much, over the issue being he doesn’t seem to be shooting as much. It just seems like Suzuki always seems to be looking for Caufield too much - particularly on the PP. I’ve hasn’t been shooting from in close much this year.  

While I want to see what RHP can do and whether he can be a legit top 6, I don’t think having a two small wingers will work for that line. I also don’t want to go back to Anderson as the other winger - he just doesn’t seem to have the hockey IQ. 

Here just doesn’t seem to be an obvious guy be on the top line. Now that Dach is gone, I wouldn’t mind see Slafkovsky get a chance, but despite his improved play, I don’t think he’s earned it yet, and I don’t want him going against first line matchups yet.

If Roy continues to produce like he is over the next 6-8 weeks he’s the guy I think would be a great fit on that line, but for now I wouldn’t want to rush him. I’d love to see Newhook get a look on that line, but with Dach out, it would leave a hole at centre. 

We still lack enough skill and depth to slot someone in as a winger on the top line - without either creating a big hole elsewhere, or rushing a young player against top line pairings.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #5 Oct. 23, Canadiens vs Sabres, 7 PM